Told By Gun Store Employee Not To Carry Anything Bigger Than 9MM

recoil357

I was recently in a local gun store and an employee there told me that I should not carry anything larger tham a 9mm. I laughed at him and quickly got someone else involved in the conversation.

I would find another gun store!! Or seek out advice from experienced trainers and other licensed carriers. Read some of the articles in recent gun magazines. But definitely would find a different store or ask for the manager.

I was recently in a local gun store and an employee there told me that I should not carry anything larger tham a 9mm. I laughed at him and quickly got someone else involved in the conversation.

I would love to hear his reasoning for this.... been a rough couple of weeks and I need a good laugh... :biggrin:

funny, the kahr pm40 is the same size as the pm9 same with the glock 26/27 and most other guns are built similiarly. Balistically the 40 is far superior than the 9mm. I agree with others that 9mm is the least to go. I personally cary a SW 360pd(357 mag) with crimson trace. The gun is light, small and accurate with the CT grips. Plus I like the 357 balistics :biggrin:

Balistically the 40 is far superior than the 9mm. I agree with others that 9mm is the least to go. I personally cary a SW 360pd(357 mag) with crimson trace. The gun is light, small and accurate with the CT grips. Plus I like the 357 balistics :biggrin:

Two things;

The .40 displays virtually exactly the same wound ballistics as the 9mm. Anyone hit with either round would not be able to tell the difference.
The .40 is not "far superior" to the 9mm for defensive or police duty use, by any measure.

The .357mag rounds you are launching from that snub are likely LESS powerful than a good +P or +P+ 9mm loading.

I would love to hear his reasoning for this.... been a rough couple of weeks and I need a good laugh... :biggrin:

Maybe he's got girlie wrists and can't shoot anything else? Not saying thats the only reason you carry a 9mm, My EDC is a G26, but I also have a M&P 40 which I carry when I can get away with hiding it.

I was looking back at a gun magazine today that i had bought a while back about Personal Defence and one article pointed out that in the past some people were convicted in shooting (in self defense) someone because the injured person's rep (DA ??) pointed out the use of a large caliber weapon or the use of hollow point bullets. They play on those factors to a gullible jury to show that the shooter wa a person who is "out to kill others". Anyway that was what the ariticle said. It could be that the salesperson was thinking of this kind of logic when he said what he said. By the way, I don't subscribe to this idea so please don't flame me. I am just reporting what I read. I know the saying
"Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6"

Two things;

The .40 displays virtually exactly the same wound ballistics as the 9mm. Anyone hit with either round would not be able to tell the difference.
The .40 is not "far superior" to the 9mm for defensive or police duty use, by any measure.

The .357mag rounds you are launching from that snub are likely LESS powerful than a good +P or +P+ 9mm loading.

I would how ever like to add that a .40 S&W round Will stop them DEAD in there tracks through winter clothing, because of the extra stopping Power. As well as several other obvious factors. The FBI wasn't looking for another stronger and better round than the 9mm for no reason at all. It has it's benefits over the 9mm...

Two things;

Not sure how you can be any more definitive than the poster you are disagreeing with. FMJ, HP, JHP? What weight? What powder charge? What terminal velocity? What distance? What target?

A FMJ +P in to a vehicle at 50 yards is much different than a JHP in to the pulmanary cavity of a live animal at 7 feet.

Attemptoing to say what is better without first descibing the circumstances is like kissing your sister: it really doesn't serve any useful purpose and it can get you in big trouble in some places......+-

I was looking back at a gun magazine today that i had bought a while back about Personal Defence and one article pointed out that in the past some people were convicted in shooting (in self defense) someone because the injured person's rep (DA ??) pointed out the use of a large caliber weapon or the use of hollow point bullets. They play on those factors to a gullible jury to show that the shooter wa a person who is "out to kill others". Anyway that was what the ariticle said. It could be that the salesperson was thinking of this kind of logic when he said what he said. By the way, I don't subscribe to this idea so please don't flame me. I am just reporting what I read. I know the saying

And if you used 9mm FMJ rounds to defend yourself with, then the prosecutor would say you were using "military grade" ammo. If you happened to shoot with a Beretta 92FS, the prosecutor would say you were using a "military grade" firearm.

These are wives tales. In any US jurisdiction, the right of self-defense exists.

If you are legitimately in fear of your (or someone else's, in most places) life, you may use deadly force. The type of deadly force is inconsequential.....you can use a machete if the circumstance warrants.

If you carry, you MUST practice. If a weapon is more powerful than you can handle, you won't practice as much. A smaller round that hits the target is much more effective than a large round that misses.

That said, I carry a 1911 when the weather allows me to conceal it under a jacket -- I'm not a big guy. In the summer, I carry either a Makarov (its reliability and accuracy overshadow its somewhat anemic 92gr round), or a Keltec P11 with a belt clip. Both the Mak and the P11 can be concealed under a tshirt or in a cargo pocket.

We were at our local IPSC match, waiting in the lobby of the range, when a couple young guys were badmouthing the 9mm. One of our members, a burly former tank mechanic, got tired and asked one of the loudmouths if he minded if he shot him with the 9mm in his truck.....needless to say the conversation ended.

I wouldn't probably carry one, but a couple .22LRs placed properly would certainly remove most threats.

Two things;

Thanks for saying that so I wouldnt have to. As for the salesperson, they are an idiot for saying that.

Nothing Larger than 9mm

Ok, then ask this:laugh: expert to show you something in 357 Sig.

ABQ NM APD officer killed a Career, violent Repeat offender that had drawn on the officer. He shot the perp with a .45. The ABQ Journal and news media attacked the veteran officer relentlessly. The perp had not yet chambered a round. Officer was carrying a large caliber weapon (cruel and inhumane .45) he was questionably not 'trained' to carry. He shot the perp too many times. His Facebook posting mentioned his job as 'Human Waste Disposal'. The media always paints a nasty pic of the shooter and his 'gun' when one of it's favorite 'repeat offenders' is permently eliminated.

Two things;

:blink:

I would how ever like to add that a .40 S&W round Will stop them DEAD in there tracks through winter clothing, because of the extra stopping Power. As well as several other obvious factors. The FBI wasn't looking for another stronger and better round than the 9mm for no reason at all. It has it's benefits over the 9mm...

No handgun bullet will stop everyone "dead" every time.

I know of several very high round count fails-to-stop incidents where the .40 was used.

Google up the Pete Solis fight and you'll read about his having to shoot his attacker more than 20 times with 165gr Ranger-T from a Glock 22 before the bad guy quit the fight.

Just one example.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back