Tips for a CCW and Police Stop

opsspec1991

Besides taking on and eliminating a threat, one of the most dangerous times when concealed carrying is being stopped by the police and carrying a firearm.

I am not saying that all police are bad. I would even say that most are just doing their jobs the best they can. Traffic stops are dangerous for them and you have to realize that, a ccw and a police stop just adds to their nervousness. The fact is during a traffic stop the things you do can easily escalate the moment and cause something bad to happen.

Now always remember to get legal advice, go to a lawyer. With that out of the way, there are a couple things I really like about the video below. I like the fact that they tell you not to use the word gun. That can trigger a whole bunch of actions. I like the calm approach that they advocate. The worst thing you want to do is cop an attitude with a cop. If you didn’t see it at the beginning , one of the actors is Massad Ayoob, a very well renowned firearms instructor.

Check out the video, leave a comment. I know it will provoke some discussion for its disarming conservation.

If you're reaching for your wallet in order to retrieve your license and permit, isn't there a chance the cop is going to see your firearm before you deliver your paperwork?

Or you could just not mention it, unless your state has taken away more of your rights and you have a duty to inform. If you don't mention it, it's not an issue.

No use peeing on yourself and succumbing to the alpha male with a badge.

I'm certainly not going to tell him about the tire iron or the baseball bat or any other perceived weapons either. What makes the legally owned, legally carried firearm so special that I have to bring it up in conversation with a cop that pulled me over for speeding? A) It doesn't make the situation safer. In fact excessive handling of a loaded firearm is actually less safe. B) If I'm a criminal and have an illegal gun, I'm not going to tell him about it anyway. C) He's not concerned with anything else in my vehicle that I could use as a weapon; why not? D) The 4th and 5th Amendment rights should still apply. E) Use letter D's response and use your right to keep silent and not answer any questions the cop is trying to bait you into.

Even if I don’t necessarily agree with this Masaad Ayoob is an intelligent and well respected trainer who has a lot of wisdom concerning firearms over all. He occasionally posts on TFL and THR you could always head over there and ask him what he thinks directly

What makes the legally owned, legally carried firearm so special that I have to bring it up in conversation with a cop that pulled me over for speeding?

Maybe the fact that you have a license to carry it! As you said, the criminal that is illegally carrying is not goint to tell him he is armed. So, by not telling him, if he sees it, he might think you are a criminal. Does he have a right to think this? His safety mandates it!

Think about it, would you want to know if you were making a traffic stop? Having a ccw permit normally means you have passed a background check. Which would you rather have an officer think you are until he finds out differently, a criminal or a person who has passed a background check?

Even if I don’t necessarily agree with this Masaad Ayoob is an intelligent and well respected trainer who has a lot of wisdom concerning firearms over all. He occasionally posts on TFL and THR you could always head over there and ask him what he thinks directly

I would have agreed with the "well respected" part too before the 11th of this month when he Link Removed every excuse imaginable to support a couple of sadistic pigs in NM who put a man through 14 hours of anal torture while looking for drugs that they had no conceivable probable cause to even search the "regular" way for in the first place.

Just like I will never respect and/or trust someone who tells me that the 2nd Amendment is obsolete or that the rights it protects should be converted to privileges, I will never respect and/or trust Massad Ayoob after that blog-post either. Not even if he said he wanted to put you through that kind of anal torture would I concede his authority to do so, Johnny. And not even if you spoke up in support of denying Ayoob's 2nd Amendment rights or converting only his to "privileges" would I accept it as right, proper or legal. Even those with whom I vehemently disagree maintain their rights with me, while you and Ayoob think that either the "war on drugs" or some inexperienced lady at a gun show are all that's needed to justify the denial of rights to everybody else.

Such authoritarian attitudes are not worthy of respect in a free country, and every free person should be made aware of those who hold them. Condemnation for those attitudes should be the only response by free people when exposed to them.

Maybe the fact that you have a license to carry it! As you said, the criminal that is illegally carrying is not goint to tell him he is armed. So, by not telling him, if he sees it, he might think you are a criminal. Does he have a right to think this? His safety mandates it!

Absolute nonsense. If his safety mandates that a weapon stored safely in its holster be disclosed just because he's on an official stop over a minor traffic infraction or some other mundane contact, then his safety should likewise mandate disclosure when a CC'er is standing in line behind him at the doughnut shop or convenience store or just walking past him on the sidewalk. True safety considerations mandate that your weapon should never be handled while out in public unless either you are about to use it, or you've been in an accident or otherwise injured and a competent gun-handler (like *some* cops for instance) is taking charge of it temporarily while you're on your way to the hospital or whatever. Otherwise all you're talking about is submission to an authority that the cop who expects and/or demands disclosure has taken upon himself and doesn't have by law. Correct me if I'm wrong, but TN is a state that doesn't require disclosure, isn't it? I might be mistaken about that, but I know for sure that here in AL there is no mandate to inform, so whatever personal mandates a cop thinks he can enforce upon me will go unrequited. Screw his personal mandates if the law doesn't back them up. Let him go where the law does back them up and work there. I follow the law, and so should all cops, or else they should go away and work where the law does comport with their personal mandates.

Think about it, would you want to know if you were making a traffic stop?

Oops. You just asked a person who works in LE what he would want if he was making a traffic stop. He already told you.

Having a ccw permit normally means you have passed a background check. Which would you rather have an officer think you are until he finds out differently, a criminal or a person who has passed a background check?

I'd rather a cop follow the Constitution and think of me as a free, law-abiding citizen until such time as he has probable cause to think otherwise of me, which he will never have because I am a free, law-abiding citizen. Gee, what a novel concept, huh? Actually holding cops to the same limitations that the Constitution does. Shwew! I must've just shocked the senses out of badgefluffers everywhere!

Blues

Think about it, would you want to know if you were making a traffic stop? Having a ccw permit normally means you have passed a background check. Which would you rather have an officer think you are until he finds out differently, a criminal or a person who has passed a background check?

Let's assume we are in one of the few states that my permit/license comes up when the cop run's the DL. If he doesn't ask about, why should I bring it up. All the license tells him is that someone that passed a background check has the legal right to carry concealed.

And for your information I'm in my Sheriff's Department's Reserve Division. We treat every situation as if everyone is armed. Period. End of statement.

I pulled them over for a traffic violation. Period. End of statement. I don't want to bring firearms up in the conversation. I don't want them removed and handled during this situation. Excessive handling of the firearms is not a safe practice.

Now, you ask, "would you want to know if you were making a traffic stop?" The answer, I already assume everyone is carrying multiple weapons. If I don't see them, I don't care. I'm always on alert, especially when I'm detaining someone. The person legitimizing what I already suspect makes no never mind to me.

Just like I will never respect and/or trust someone who tells me that the 2nd Amendment is obsolete or that the rights it protects should be converted to privileges, I will never respect and/or trust Massad Ayoob after that blog-post either. Blues

Meh, I'm pretty sure the feeling is mutual (or would be in Mas' case)

Besides taking on and eliminating a threat, one of the most dangerous times when concealed carrying is being stopped by the police and carrying a firearm.

I am not saying that all police are bad. I would even say that most are just doing their jobs the best they can. Traffic stops are dangerous for them and you have to realize that, a ccw and a police stop just adds to their nervousness. The fact is during a traffic stop the things you do can easily escalate the moment and cause something bad to happen.

Now always remember to get legal advice, go to a lawyer. With that out of the way, there are a couple things I really like about the video below. I like the fact that they tell you not to use the word gun. That can trigger a whole bunch of actions. I like the calm approach that they advocate. The worst thing you want to do is cop an attitude with a cop. If you didn’t see it at the beginning , one of the actors is Massad Ayoob, a very well renowned firearms instructor.

Check out the video, leave a comment. I know it will provoke some discussion for its disarming conservation.

I thought I just saw this video recently... festus brought it up EIGHT days ago. http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/41451-how-handle-traffic-stop.html

Never had a problem, see golden rule.

I absolutely agree. The police officer is not going to offer their gun for me to hold onto for my safety - I am not going to offer my gun to the police officer to hold onto for their safety. I have no desire to play the officer's gun - so I expect them to not play with mine. I'll keep my mouth shut and my gun safe in it's holster, just like I hope the officer is going to. It doesn't get much more golden rule than that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back