thinking of going with the Kel Tec P-11

randrollings

Any thoughts on this item for first ccw?

I carry a P11 everyday, with the 12 round flush mag. It's really light weight, and slim enough that when i sit it doesn't bother me, actually carrying small of back its almost like a portable lumbar support. I've put about 500 rounds through (it can be uncomfortable to shoot for long periods) but I've never had a failure. and it fits a BLACKHAWK size 001 IWB perfectly.

I got a P11 as my first carry gun over 6 years ago. It's a good gun--easy to conceal and reliable.
I don't carry it much anymore because I've got a few other options now but it does sit in my nightstand drawer. The trigger pull is a bit long and nasty but it is a good gun

The p11 was a tad to large for me so I went with the pf9, however both are good for ccw its just a matter of what you're willing to carry. Just make sure to give it a good breaking in

Hi, I'm new! I've carried a P11 for a couple years now and I've had no trouble while carrying it. It's lightweight, and its double stacked mag gives a surprising amount of rounds. If you get a new one, I'd suggest putting about 50 rounds through it before carrying it around. The parts are notoriously tight right "out of the box" and sometimes you may have some ejector issues, so it needs to be broken in.
If you're doing a lot of shooting with it for target practice, its long trigger pull can begin to hurt your hand. You're pulling back on the trigger, expecting any time for it to finally be all the way back, and that long trigger pull can get tedious. However, I'd personally recommend this gun as a regular CCW.

I wouldn't trust my life to a Kel Tec P 11. Purchased one brand new. Went out to shoot it. In 43 round, the weapon, wouldn't load, eject, and had a very limp trigger. Took it back to the gun shop were it was purchased. This is when the games begun. Was told it was sent into Kel Tec. Finally called them and found out by serial number it wasn't there, but they couldn't help me any further. Went back to gun shop and asked if any news on my weapon. He said no, they stopped making any more guns right now. I said that not true, I spoke to them and they shut down for a few weeks later in the year for clean up and maintenance and they can't locate my firearm. So where is it. Lawyer from work went with me. Before it was said and done I had a new weapon more money, no cost to me. Beware of one gun shop in DES MOINES the owners a bit shady.

The customer service with Kel Tec was wonderful. I think I gotten a bad gun. Because of it, I would never trust. I have friends that have them and swear by them. I'll stay with S&W. Trust it.

Before you purchase a P11 check out a SCCY CPX-1 or CPX-2. Same size gun, but made with better materials. It comes with a lifetime warranty and great customer service, if needed.
Better gun, same size, great price. Link Removed

I've had my P11 for over a decade now as my carry weapon - although only started daily CC within the last year, it was an occasional-open-carry weapon before that. Only thing to look out for is to get better-than-blued finish. Especially if you're going to carry IWB or in a damp climate. (In my case, both.)

If you're the original purchaser of a Kel-Tec, you also get a lifetime warranty, and my experience with their service has been excellent. (Sent it in for an overhaul last year, wonderful service.)

I've *NEVER* had a mis-feed with it. It takes even the cheapest 9mm I throw at it, no problem. (Because of its reliability, I've had a friend give me cheap 9mm that won't reliably load in his weapons.)

There are definitely better weapons out there, but while Scooby wouldn't trust his life to his, I absolutely would trust my life to mine. Getting a bad weapon will obviously sour you on it, though, fully understandable. As Caff said, put some rounds through it first (I'd suggest about 100.) Make sure you fully understand it before you make it your daily carry.

Pocket guns belong in pocket holster. you can have a REAL gun in any other sort of rig, basically. If you need more than 6-7 rds, without time (and cover) for a reload, you need a lot more than ANY handgun, much less a pocket gun. So all the double stack mag is, really, is a bigger bulge in your pocket. The CM9 Kahr is the better gun than the PF-9, but the Twisted Industries .22 unit is for the KT, not the Kahr. I'm still not sure about my choice of the Kt for the 9mm. That pinned on lower receiver and extention spring for a mainspring don't thrill me any.

I have a P11, but as hotti says, if you need more than 6-7 rounds, you probably need more than a conceal carry gun. If I was buying now, I'd pick the PF-9 (which didn't yet exist when I got my P11.) But I'm used to my P11, and have multiple holsters and other accessories for it, so I'm sticking with it.

P-11 is a great gun. Very reliable.

I found the trigger pull to be a little long and heavy for my taste, but certainly gives it 2 points for safety.

Mag issue: it CAN accept the S&W 59 series mags, but some don't work well with them. Mine was very unreliable with them. The 12-rounders were a bit iffy as well. I'd stick to factory 10-rd mags for carry.

I haven't owned or used one but I've heard some good things, along with some bad too... but that's with almost anything.

Any thoughts on this item for first ccw?

Had one... Not a fan.
Every-time I shot it pinched the tip of my finger...Could not stand to run but a clip through her before my finger hurt to bad..
I have average size hands..

I added the trigger shoe and it did not help...

With that said I never had a FTF issue with the pistol.

It left my home within a month of purchase...That says allot as I"m 57 and had guns since a teenager...I've only sold three guns!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back