The way that a LEO encounter should go....

NavyLCDR

This was posted on opencarry.org. I was not present at this event, the person who posted this is the same person who received a $15,000 settlement for police harassment previously:

MSG Laigaie said:
Sweet Baboo and I joined with SVG and his Sweety for a bike ride around the sound on Sunday. Met up with Boomboy and his significant other for a meal at Extremes Sports Grill and Pizzaria, out on Meridian, in Bellingham. We had been there for quite a while and were almost done with our meal when we were approached by management about the weapons. It seems the owner was not understanding the RCW. He was under the impression that if alcohol was served at a table, weapons were not permitted. Several of us attempted to politely inform him of the correct application of the law, but he insisted he was not a lawyer and would call police. Boomboy offered a brochure, with the RCW quoted, but he refused to touch it.
The owner did call the police and he told us that he would let them explain it to us. A bit later he came by and told us that the Pee Dee did not merit this for actual police presence because what we were doing was legal. So, we were "good" and he felt more comfortable.

Meal was good, fellowship was great, the incident was irritating but tolerable.

Most incidents related to firearms will revert to "normal Joes" with no knowledge nor desire to listen to factual gun laws. These are in most cases, the individuals making the calls to the Police, because "they don't feel confortable" around guns. Shame on them, and kudos to this specific Police Department for doing exactly what needed and needs to be done in every instance as such.

Where was this at?

This was posted on opencarry.org. I was not present at this event, the person who posted this is the same person who received a $15,000 settlement for police harassment previously:

1. It was a private business.
2. It's not relevant that you're 'legal' carrying in any fashion when the owner/manger is not comfortable with your presence.
3. It's not incumbent for the owner/manger to know all the particulars about carrying, brochure or not.
4. The correct response is not to wait for the owner/manager to call the police - the correct response would be to leave the premises.

Who carries a brochure with them to explain the law? There's an element of wanting to cause a scene, wanting to test the law in this story which is g**damn juvenile.

Last edited:
If the owner feels that way, he/she should post a no firearms allowed sign. That would be the simple solution to his/her fear.

As long as there are no signs and owner is not asking anyone to leave the premises, gun owner is legally carrying.

At the minute, however that the above is the opposite, I would take off.

1. It was a private business.
2. It's not relevant that you're 'legal' carrying in any fashion when the owner/manger is not comfortable with your presence.
3. It's not incumbent for the owner/manger to know all the particulars about carrying, brochure or not.
4. The correct response is not to wait for the owner/manager to call the police - the correct response would be to leave the premises.

Who carries a brochure with them to explain the law? There's an element of wanting to cause a scene, wanting to test the law in this story which is g**damn juvenile.

Answers. The owner/manager never asked the group to leave. I am sure there are plenty of owners/managers of businesses who are uncomfortable with some of their customers but understand that their refusal to serve anyone whom makes them uncomfortable will likely be bad for business.

Some people carry a couple brochures regarding Washington law because those of us that open carry get asked what the law is regarding carrying firearms from time to time. Happened to me last week by an older woman from Canada. I don't carry brochures, but those that do carry them as an educational tool for those that ask. As you can see from the experience quoted in the OP the end result was very positive.

"There's an element of wanting to cause a scene, wanting to test the law in this story which is g**damn juvenile." Not at all. There is an element of presenting an image to the public of good citizens carrying guns for self protection in their normal everyday lives - and that causes people to ask questions because the general public rarely ever gets to see that image.

If the owner feels that way, he/she should post a no firearms allowed sign. That would be the simple solution to his/her fear.

As long as there are no signs and owner is not asking anyone to leave the premises, gun owner is legally carrying.

At the minute, however that the above is the opposite, I would take off.

The owner verbally made his wishes clear - trumps a sign. It's not a matter of he should have posted a sign - he owns the place and chooses to speak his wishes.

I own 49% of an accounting firm with a building downtown. We handle several gun store owners as clients and I'm not going to place signage to a no guns allowed effect. But if a non LEO came in, open carry, for the sake of my other clients in the waiting area, I'm going to ask the person to go back to his/her vehicle and come back 'not open carry,' however they want to handle it - owners' prerogative.

Answers. The owner/manager never asked the group to leave. I am sure there are plenty of owners/managers of businesses who are uncomfortable with some of their customers but understand that their refusal to serve anyone whom makes them uncomfortable will likely be bad for business.

Some people carry a couple brochures regarding Washington law because those of us that open carry get asked what the law is regarding carrying firearms from time to time. Happened to me last week by an older woman from Canada. I don't carry brochures, but those that do carry them as an educational tool for those that ask. As you can see from the experience quoted in the OP the end result was very positive.

"There's an element of wanting to cause a scene, wanting to test the law in this story which is g**damn juvenile." Not at all. There is an element of presenting an image to the public of good citizens carrying guns for self protection in their normal everyday lives - and that causes people to ask questions because the general public rarely ever gets to see that image.

You explained yourself perfectly, but I disagree and will move on, thanks.

The owner verbally made his wishes clear - trumps a sign. It's not a matter of he should have posted a sign - he owns the place and chooses to speak his wishes.

I own 49% of an accounting firm with a building downtown. We handle several gun store owners as clients and I'm not going to place signage to a no guns allowed effect. But if a non LEO came in, open carry, for the sake of my other clients in the waiting area, I'm going to ask the person to go back to his/her vehicle and come back 'not open carry,' however they want to handle it - owners' prerogative.

Open carriers appreciate owners who do what you do. So many issues can be solved if both parties were up front about their concerns. I've yet to be asked to leave, but if I am, I'm more than willing to go to another place that allows open carry. I'll be kind to the owners wishes, and they can return the kindness if I choose another business.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

The owner verbally made his wishes clear - trumps a sign.

Where exactly was this posted, my apologies if I failed to see it?

It's not a matter of he should have posted a sign - he owns the place and chooses to speak his wishes.

That I know of as posted, he never asked anyone to leave, his beef was rtaher due to the alcohol on the same table.

And that's exactly your pregorative as owner, however; your firm wouldn't account for a penny of mine thereafter, I'll take my gun, money and business elsewhere where we both are welcome. Nothing personal, just business!

I see no real problem here. There was misunderstanding of the local law. Those on both sides of the question were civil to each; apparently no yelling, name calling, or other insults. The owner received correct information from the police. The issue was peaceably resolved. The customers in question enjoyed the meal and the owner was compensated for the food and service. Both 2nd Amendment and ownership rights were respected. Some of the debates on this site should be as civil.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back