The NRA, my confession

Old saying: NUMBERS talk and are listened to. Individuals talk and are generally ignored. Welcome to realpolitic.

Better to be a number in a group that fights for what is right (as far as 2A goes), than to be a lone voice wailing the blues in the wilderness.

Think of the "political pull" the Pro-gun (2A) lobby would have if EVERY legal gun owner in the US was an NRA member. (Remember, we are talking some 46% of American households here. Now THAT is political pull!) (Why, we'd be just as powerful a lobby as the legions of "Governmentally Dependent" in this Country are!)

GG

I won't join, they endorse people like Harry Reid. Charlton heston would be rolling in his grave if he had seen what the nra has become. If you want to join a organizing, do something like the National association for gun rights. They actually fight for your rights.

I am a member. I don't necessarily like all the compromises they make but they do more good than harm overall, IMHO.

The NRA is a one issue organization. As such it endorses those politicians who support the the 2nd Amendment. That is how Harry Reid got endorsed. The NRA just does not consider anything but its core issue. The NAGR is mostly bluster with little action from what I gleen from most gun writers.

I know this is a sensitive issue, but there is no need to become hostile. Reasonable people can disagree without vitriol.

Harry reid supported Elena Kagen and Sonia Sotomayor for supreme court justice, supported veterans disarmament act of 2007, fought against Rand Paul's amendment to protect gun owners from provisions in the patriot act. So I guess if the nra only supports one issue, the second amendment, it seems to me there not doing a good job.

I won't join, they endorse people like Harry Reid. Charlton heston would be rolling in his grave if he had seen what the nra has become. If you want to join a organizing, do something like the National association for gun rights. They actually fight for your rights.

I'll pass. However I do wish all twenty five of them good luck in their pursuits. LOL!

GG

Can you imagine how gun control would be kicked in the teeth if either of the non-compromising groups, the GOA or SAF would have had the N R A's 4 million or so members all these years? Who knows though, perhaps with that many members paying dues any organization might get a bit used to it and also fight only just hard enough to ensure the fight continues, along with thier jobs of course.

I do have an N R A membership, only because our local outdoor gun club requires it for membership, likely due to financial help from the N R A. The N R A does do good things and can when needed stop draconian gun control bills and file suit or join in law suit when needed, don't misunderstand. It is only wished they'd fight tooth and nail against gun control and NOT just enough, seemingly, to keep the fight and thier purpose alive. I do not donate to the N R A above membership dues. www.saf.org and www.gunowners.org are organizations I belong to AND donate to as they are truly in the fight to erradicate gun control, even if the membership numbers don't approach that of the N R A's.

The N R A, some feel, is tied too closely to some of our government agencies and many police organizations and therefore cannot serve the freedom concerns of the Constitution loving people in our quest for killing gun control and elevating our Bill of Rights. -Remember, this is all my opinion and you are welcome to yours- Visit the letter exchange between the N R A and JPFO via my signature below for just ONE example of the N R A's sympathy for (some)gun control, or at the very least supports the BATFE as evidenced by thier correspondence.

Incidentally, JPFO is not a lobbying group, but an educational group that wants you and I to learn more about our Bill of Rights and to spread that knowledge. I purchase materials from them on a regular basis to pass out and leave behind in waiting rooms, etc, not to mention having a membership with them.

I can't resist, here's another: Link Removed

http://keepandbeararms.com/information/XcIBViewItem.asp?ID=3643 Make it stop!

The NRA is a single issue orginization. As long as you support RKBA they support you. As long as they staya single issue orginization they will remain effective. As for the liberal gun grabbing scum here is some food for thought.

Paul Helmke Republican
Josh Sugarman Republican
Sarah Brady Republican
James Brady Republican
Michael Bloomberg Republican

Richard Nixon Republican

Ronald Reagan Republican

Rudi Giuliani Republican

Yup it's those damn libs you gotta look out for

The Establishment Republican Rino's are no different then the Democtrat Party. As was said before "One Government system with a two party Pozie Scheme"

The NRA did not endorse Harry Reid.

Treo:226648 said:
The NRA is a single issue orginization. As long as you support RKBA they support you. As long as they staya single issue orginization they will remain effective. As for the liberal gun grabbing scum here is some food for thought.

Paul Helmke Republican
Josh Sugarman Republican
Sarah Brady Republican
James Brady Republican
Michael Bloomberg Republican

Richard Nixon Republican
In 1969, journalist William Safire asked Richard Nixon what he thought about gun control. "Guns are an abomination," Nixon replied. According to Safire, Nixon went on to confess that, "Free from fear of gun owners' retaliation at the polls, he favored making handguns illegal and requiring licenses for hunting rifles."

Ronald Reagan Republican
It was Governor Ronald Reagan of California who signed the Mulford Act in 1967, "prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street." The law was aimed at stopping the Black Panthers, but affected all gun owners.

Twenty-four years later, Reagan was still pushing gun control. "I support the Brady Bill," he said in a March 28, 1991 speech, "and I urge the Congress to enact it without further delay."

Rudi Giuliani Republican
One of the most aggressive gun control advocates today is Republican mayor Rudolph Giuliani of New York City, whose administration sued 26 gun manufacturers in June 2000, and whose police commissioner, Howard Safir, proposed a nationwide plan for gun licensing, complete with yearly "safety" inspections.

Yup it's those damn libs you gotta look out for

I don't think you understand what liberal and conservative means. It has nothing to do with political party. Although most conservatives are Republican and most liberals are Democrats neither is a requirement. More than likely you yourself are a conservative Democrat and don't even know it...

The NRA is a one issue organization. As such it endorses those politicians who support the the 2nd Amendment. That is how Harry Reid got endorsed. The NRA just does not consider anything but its core issue. The NAGR is mostly bluster with little action from what I gleen from most gun writers.

I know this is a sensitive issue, but there is no need to become hostile. Reasonable people can disagree without vitriol.

But they did not endorse Harry Reid in the last election. Someone put out the idea that he might be endorsed, but he was not.

I don't think you understand what liberal and conservative means. It has nothing to do with political party. Although most conservatives are Republican and most liberals are Democrats neither is a requirement. More than likely you yourself are a conservative Democrat and don't even know it...

Please don't take this the wrong way.....you don't know what your taking about!

Please don't take this the wrong way.....you don't know what your taking about!

I am not sure what you mean by your comment. There are certainly conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans. Republican Senator Olympia Snowe from Maine comes to mind and Democrat Representative Dan Boren from Oklahoma is an example of conservative Democrat. Boren is on the Board of the NRA, voted against Obamacare and other Obama schemes. There are other examples, both current and past.

Conservative is the important classification, not Republican.

Gentlemen, If you are the least bit curious about which political party shares your political beliefs, or you want to see where you stand within your party, take The Political Compass (Test). It's on the web. The test has about 50 politically charged questions that you have 4 ways to reply. You choose from; Agree, Strongly Agree, Disagree, and Strongly Disagree.

The danger of labels is that they do not allow for individuality. You have republicans who support issues like gay marriage and democrats who don't. Not all democrats are anti-gun. I prefer to judge via actions on issues that I care about. I do not care what party one is in...I have no party affiliation...if one boos soldiers, gay or not, cheers death (no I am not against the death penalty, but I do not celebrate death as an idea). Freedom of speech is like sunlight...it exposes hidden foolishness and ignorance, the dirt laying in the corners.

Gentlemen, If you are the least bit curious about which political party shares your political beliefs, or you want to see where you stand within your party, take The Political Compass (Test). It's on the web. The test has about 50 politically charged questions that you have 4 ways to reply. You choose from; Agree, Strongly Agree, Disagree, and Strongly Disagree.

I've taken it I'm a barely to the right of center libertarian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back