THE GREAT DEBATE - OPEN CARRY vs CONCEALED CARRY - Sept 26, Meridian ID Fuddruckers

IOC

At our next Idaho Carry dinner on September 26th at Fuddruckers at 3421 Eagle Road in Meridian at 6:30pm, I will be presenting my argument as to why I believe Open Carry is preferable to Concealed Carry. Atty. Ryan Jenks will then present his reasons for Concealed Carry being preferable to Open Carry. There will be time for rebuttals and then we will open it up for questions and challenges from those in attendance. You will not want to miss this event, bring your friends and family. This will be better than the shoot out at the OK Corral.
For more information E-mail [email protected]

Tony Snesko, Founder
Idaho Carry, Open & Concealed

At our next Idaho Carry dinner on September 26th at Fuddruckers at 3421 Eagle Road in Meridian at 6:30pm, I will be presenting my argument as to why I believe Open Carry is preferable to Concealed Carry. Atty. Ryan Jenks will then present his reasons for Concealed Carry being preferable to Open Carry. There will be time for rebuttals and then we will open it up for questions and challenges from those in attendance. You will not want to miss this event, bring your friends and family. This will be better than the shoot out at the OK Corral.

So there's gonna be shootin'? Cool! LOL

Seriously though, that's an interesting analogy. Who are the good guys and who are the bad guys in the analogy? The Clanton/McLaury gang were a shady bunch, no doubt, but they were open carrying and exercising their God-given rights when they entered Tombstone. Meanwhile, the putative "good guys," the LE "team" the Earps and their trusty sidekick, the profane, drunk and half-dead Doc Holiday, wanted to disarm the gang so bad that they started a gun fight to impose their tyranny on them.

Whether sub-consciously or not, the analogy pits gun owners against gun owners. It's impossible to tell from your event announcement whether the debate is intended to be lighthearted and satirical, or serious and truly one side pitted against the other. I sincerely hope it's the former. If it's the latter, I sincerely hope no one shows up, because it sounds divisive and factional between two groups of gun owners who should be united against the real adversary; government. I'd seriously like to know what there is to be gained by pitting your "side" against "their" side?

Blues

I don't think it's such a great debate. As long as you carry who cares how you do it? Personal preference.

I'll note that the OP is the founder of Idaho Carry, Open & Concealed. Is the intent to give each preference its due attention via the debate for entertainment's sake?

I see no need for any debate at all. The vast majority of "things firearms" are personal preference, and the open/concealed carry issue is no different. I need provide no justification to anyone why I carry the way I do, nor does it matter to me how anyone else carries.. as long as it's done safely.

(I take for granted that either mode of carry will be done legally.)

Open Carry vs Concealed Carry
I prefer to Open Carry my handgun often, but just because I can doesn’t mean that I should. Prudence should be the rule. 17,523 crimes against persons occurred in Idaho in 2012, so when I leave my home, it is my intent to go about peaceably and return home safely without shooting anyone, ever.

Concealed Carrying (which I am forced to practice regularly) presents me as unarmed in the eyes of an attacker searching for a victim.
There are some people I’ve spoken with who have admitted to wanting to be a victim and are looking forward to providing an element of surprise to the attacker.

Why would anyone want to try to fight their way out of a bad situation, jeopardizing themselves and anyone with or around them when the bad situation can be avoided entirely by Open Carrying?

Let me tell you, if someone is going to be surprised, it is you.

The likelihood of you surprising a bad guy is about 1 out of 100 attacks and the likelihood of the bad guy getting the drop on you is 99%.

You seldom know that you are going to be a victim until you are face to face with someone else pointing a gun at you.

You have no time to quick draw or do anything but comply.

Surprise as a defensive tactic is often based on unrealistic or ill thought out scenarios.

Open Carriers not only create a deterrent circle around themselves, they create a circle of deterrence for everyone in their vicinity.

Every study shows that criminals avoid armed citizens. Open Carry provides the bad guy the opportunity to make an informed decision. Anyone who claims that they want t to be surprised and then try to “fix” the situation and fight their way out has probably never been in that situation.

On a regular basis you hear about Concealed Carriers shooting people. I’ve never heard of an Open Carrier shooting anyone or even drawing their gun. They don’t have to, the bad guys, if given a choice, avoid them (unless they are on drugs or mentally ill).

Open Carry deters criminals; Concealed Carry portrays you as unarmed and your probability of being a victim of a crime is totally unchanged and then, when victimized, you have a life or death decision to make; either way you lose.

Some critics of Open Carry claim that an Open Carrier will be the first one to be shot when a robber walks into a 7-11. There is no evidence that this has ever occurred. Show me the body!
When a robber sees an Open Carrier, they change their plans.
In most cases, he is not prepared to commit murder or jeopardize his life when all he wanted to do was to get some cash.
Self preservation demands that he abort and find a less risky victim.

Another common criticism of Open Carry is that the firearm itself will be the target of theft, prompting a criminal attack simply to get your gun away from you. With only two exceptions, where one man in a convenience store did not have a retention holster and was not maintaining situational awareness, had his stolen; the other occurred in N/E Milwaukee in an area where crime was skyrocketing and the guy was targeted.

You should never open carry in high crime areas. Lions don’t walk into a den of hyenas, neither should anyone open carry in areas dominated by criminals. Other than these two instances where the individuals didn’t use wisdom and prudence, there is no evidence that an Open Carrier has ever been targeted just to rob him of his gun.

Tony Snesko, founder
Idaho Carry, Open & Concealed
[email protected]

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back