The door to door sham magazine sales hoodies

Shoobee

Banned
Last night at 9:30 pm 6/29/2012 there was a fairly loud knock at my door. I was not expecting any visitors, and no one had called me and said they were coming over. So who could it be this late in the evening after dark? A neighbor with a problem? The local maintenance man with an issue? My tv was tuned low to the news while I was working at my computer nearby, so it couldn't be anyone complaining?

My door was already locked and bolted and barricated in the usual manner to make the apartment a safehouse, and I was not about to open it this late at night, and fortunately for me there is a small window next to the door.

So I opened the blinds on the entranceway window to see a stocky muscular male who appeared to be in his mid to late 20s, and who seemed quite surprised that I had opened the blinds on the window rather than opening the door. I did not recognize him as a neighbor, since I know all of my immediate neighbors, and no one has moved into the quadrant of our area anytime recently. I cracked open the window a space after unlocking it, and glanced at him with a puzzled look on my face, as if to let him talk.

He immediately said he was from the local high school and he was selling magazine subscriptions, together with some other spiel. After he finished talking, I just said "no thanks" and I closed and locked the window by the front door. He then turned and headed upstairs to my neighbors.

I noted that he looked about 10 years older than a high school kid, and about 50 lbs heavier, from his weightlifting development. It occurred to me that this looked more like an x-con who had spent some serious time working out in a prison yard. His story did not add up. And virtually everyone gets their news from the internet these days, and not from magazines or newspapers anyway.

I don't know what his plan was, but by not opening the door it seems like I had surprised him and thwarted it.

My 45ACP was on the top shelf of my opened gunsafe in the bedroom as usual, and I could have quickly retreated to retrieve it had I need to do so. There is no way he could have gotten through the closed window or the bolted door very quickly, and so there was plenty of time to get the pistol if I needed it.

I think anyone who opens the door to these bozo's is making a really big mistake. I'm glad that I did not.

California has a really low firearms ownership percentage at 21%. Only New England, NJ, NY, Illinois and Hawaii are lower.

So I guess these bozo's feel safe here pulling their stunts whatever that might be after dark in the late evenings.

If you don't have a convenient window by your front door, allowing you to look out before you open it, it is good to install a peep of some kind, so you can see who is standing at your doorstep. It is nice if you can talk through the peep without opening your front door.

The economy is down, therefore crime is up, and it takes careful vigilance to avoid becoming a victim of crime these days.

Now if it had been two beautiful lady Jehovahs Witnesses at the door, I might have then opened it and let them in. I am a sucker for beautiful women, my weakness. Everyone has their own weaknesses.

Last night at 9:30 pm 6/29/2012 there was a fairly loud knock at my door. I was not expecting any visitors, and no one had called me and said they were coming over. So who could it be this late in the evening after dark? A neighbor with a problem? The local maintenance man with an issue? My tv was tuned low to the news while I was working at my computer nearby, so it couldn't be anyone complaining?

My door was already locked and bolted and barricated in the usual manner to make the apartment a safehouse, and I was not about to open it this late at night, and fortunately for me there is a small window next to the door.

So I opened the blinds on the entranceway window to see a stocky muscular male who appeared to be in his mid to late 20s, and who seemed quite surprised that I had opened the blinds on the window rather than opening the door. I did not recognize him as a neighbor, since I know all of my immediate neighbors, and no one has moved into the quadrant of our area anytime recently. I cracked open the window a space after unlocking it, and glanced at him with a puzzled look on my face, as if to let him talk.

He immediately said he was from the local high school and he was selling magazine subscriptions, together with some other spiel. After he finished talking, I just said "no thanks" and I closed and locked the window by the front door. He then turned and headed upstairs to my neighbors.

I noted that he looked about 10 years older than a high school kid, and about 50 lbs heavier, from his weightlifting development. It occurred to me that this looked more like an x-con who had spent some serious time working out in a prison yard. His story did not add up. And virtually everyone gets their news from the internet these days, and not from magazines or newspapers anyway.

I don't know what his plan was, but by not opening the door it seems like I had surprised him and thwarted it.

My 45ACP was on the top shelf of my opened gunsafe in the bedroom as usual, and I could have quickly retreated to retrieve it had I need to do so. There is no way he could have gotten through the closed window or the bolted door very quickly, and so there was plenty of time to get the pistol if I needed it.

I think anyone who opens the door to these bozo's is making a really big mistake. I'm glad that I did not.

California has a really low firearms ownership percentage at 21%. Only New England, NJ, NY, Illinois and Hawaii are lower.

So I guess these bozo's feel safe here pulling their stunts whatever that might be after dark in the late evenings.

If you don't have a convenient window by your front door, allowing you to look out before you open it, it is good to install a peep of some kind, so you can see who is standing at your doorstep. It is nice if you can talk through the peep without opening your front door.

The economy is down, therefore crime is up, and it takes careful vigilance to avoid becoming a victim of crime these days.

Now if it had been two beautiful lady Jehovahs Witnesses at the door, I might have then opened it and let them in. I am a sucker for beautiful women, my weakness. Everyone has their own weaknesses.

Violent Crime is actually down. Check the fbi stats. Sounds like u too get your news from the interweb. ;)

I am still waiting to see any beautiful Jehovahs Witnesses come to my door. Can I get an amen!

Surprisingly I have actually seen quite a few such beauties, although they normally come by on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, not late in the evenings after dark.

If your weight lifting visitor was as built as you're saying I'm guessing he could have kicked your door off the hinges and been on you before you got w/in 10 feet of your gun.

I've said this before but, I've never answered a door to a stranger and had it turn out good. That's not to say that I've ever been robbed, but it's always been some kind of a pitch that I really don't want to hear. Now I simply don't open the door

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back