Terrible day of practice

misunderstood

Today was the first time in three weeks i went out to practice. And wow it was terrible. First off pulled out 22's and went for sighting in and bullseye. Went ok. Started out great. Then pulled out 9 mm pulled a few but it was getting hot i thought. Last come out was the 45. Wow i suck. Lol. Have not shot this bad since day one. Was shoot about 20 to 25 yards but i caught myself snatching the trigger and my catcher's blind kicked in. After calming down i popped off some bullseye shots. After 30 mins to an hour of shooting in 100 degree weather i left.

So after all that here is my question to instructors and professional shooters out there. How do i get rid of my catcher's blind? Had it bad. I would like professional help here. No offense to anyone but i dont need a relative new shooter telling me something out of a article they read. I always had catcher's blind and it is holding me back from really excellent shooting.

being new i haven't even heard that term before ''and my catcher's blind kicked in'' would you tell me what ''catchers blind'' is so i can learn too and i also look forward to reading the replies of the instructors and knowledgeable on this issue
thank you

Its a baseball term. It is what my coaches called it when something comes toward your face and you blink. It is a natural reflex. Players with bad catchers blind couldnt be a good catcher. Most people have it at just to what extent.

At least that what my coaches called it. Never questioned it. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Need to see if that is proper term or if there is one . Amazing what you learn when you are a kid whether it is right or wrong. Lol. And what sticks with you.

i thought of a baseball catcher when i first read that term but couldn't figure out what it could mean. but the hand is quicker than the eye at times but in shooting the eyes must be quick too and coordinate with the hand well
best wishes and thanks

snap caps ... 2x snap caps vs. the number of live rounds you fire. also, when at the range, have someone load your mags, slipping in a snap cap here and there.

you will be surprised at the results.

sent from my sending device

misunderstood: Do you mean you are blinking when you shoot? What you describe sounds like flinching to me.

next time i'm at the range i'm going to focus on not blinking when i fire i never even thought about that ..as we blink alot anyways esp in smoky range rooms

A suggestion to try which might help you realize what you're doing and when. Practice dry firing with snap caps aiming at a target. Don't do this with a .22 pistol because you can damage the firing pin. Center fire is ok with a snap cap, this will help to get a muscle memory. Then when you're at the range have someone mix 1 or 2 into the mag. When they cycle in all the flinches will become apparent if you're flinching. If you find you're still flinching go back to the snap caps until you've practiced enough to re-establish the fundamentals.

Learn to control a double action revolver trigger by dry firing. Once you have that down, everything else is easy.

We call it anticipation. Do ball and dummy drills with 4 snap caps per 6 live rounds or some dryfire with a spent casing balanced on the front sight post by a partner.. Both will get you focused on smooth trigger pull or will make it that much more obvious when u anticipate. Good luck

Today was the first time in three weeks i went out to practice. And wow it was terrible. First off pulled out 22's and went for sighting in and bullseye. Went ok. Started out great. Then pulled out 9 mm pulled a few but it was getting hot i thought. Last come out was the 45. Wow i suck. Lol. Have not shot this bad since day one. Was shoot about 20 to 25 yards but i caught myself snatching the trigger and my catcher's blind kicked in. After calming down i popped off some bullseye shots. After 30 mins to an hour of shooting in 100 degree weather i left.

So after all that here is my question to instructors and professional shooters out there. How do i get rid of my catcher's blind? Had it bad. I would like professional help here. No offense to anyone but i dont need a relative new shooter telling me something out of a article they read. I always had catcher's blind and it is holding me back from really excellent shooting.

Have another person load your firearms for you and replace one or more of your live rounds with dummy rounds. This will allow you to see exactly what you are doing to your firearm when you squeeze the trigger but the firearm doesn't go boom. I've seen some whose firearm flinches downward and some that flinch upward.

Another good practice routine is if you are able to dry-fire your weapon place something on your front site (I've seen people use a penny or even an old brass case). Practice dry-firing in your home often doing this. Your trigger pull should be steady enough that the penny or brass case never falls off the site. Of course, some firearms like a revolver with a fixed site doesn't lend well to this technique unless you put the brass case upside down on it. Also, think to yourself "1/4 pound of pressure, 1/4 pound of pressure, 1/4 pound of pressure" on to the trigger until the trigger pull finally trips.

I hope these suggestions as well as others help.

Good luck to you.

snap caps ... 2x snap caps vs. the number of live rounds you fire. also, when at the range, have someone load your mags, slipping in a snap cap here and there.

you will be surprised at the results.

sent from my sending device

Very sound advice

I'm not a pro, but I'v not experianced that before at least not in recent memory, I seem to remember a scout instuctor telling us to keep our eyes open, at least one of them, due to a injury I have to use my middle finger for the trigger, and I do find that if I don't concentrate I will pull off, I practice with a laser bullit in the dark, it really helps with trying to the sights on target

I know this comment is probably not helpful but I had a flinch creep in last year. I don't know why or how but it drove me crazy!
I finally just got angry and gripped the gun firmly and fired away. After a couple mags, I slowed it down and my flinch was gone.
I am master of my weapon and I refuse to allow it to dictate my actions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back