Tax on online gun purchases

Jes

I will pick up my Kahr CM9 that I bought from Buds Gun Shop in a few days at my local FFL. Has anyone ever bought a gun online and picked it up in NC? Is the FFL going to try to hit me up for taxes?

The way I understood NC tax law was that you are supposed to estimate your out of state purchases and add that to your tax forms. There is even a specific place on the tax forms.

NC just got beat down by Amazon when they tried to get $50M because Amazon had not been charging NC tax.
Link Removed

My company sells firearms online and we charge tax with the purchase. The FFL shouldn't be charging you tax, just a transfer fee.

This particular FFL is the only game in town and acts that way.

Get a receipt showing what was paid and for what. If the FFL collects the tax, they are responsible for paying it to the state, and you will have your receipt which alleviates your responsibility. If the FFL does not collect the tax (use tax is what it is called since the purchase was out of state), then you are responsible for paying it to the state. If you pay tax to the seller when you make the purchase, then they are responsible for paying it to the state, and again your receipt will alleviate your responsibility.

The Washington (state) Department of Licensing figured this out a while ago and directed FFLs in Washington state to collect the use tax and forward it to the state because, of course, individuals weren't doing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back