Taurus Judge Opinions

jgiles

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and was wondering what opinions everyone had on the Taurus Judge Public Defender as a home protection pistol. I do not plan to conceal carry it. I also have a High Point 9mm and a Para 1911 .45 but feel the Judge is the best for in home because of the .410 ammo. I look forward to reading your opinions :)

Thanks,

Jim

I wanted a S&W Governor but couldn't find one earlier this year. Found a Taurus Public Defender and bought it. Used it for home defense loaded with .410 rounds. Later did find a S&W Governor and bought it too. So now use them both, in separate parts of the house, for home defense. Both with .410

Link Removed

Here's the pattern of the Winchester PDX4 Defender at 20 feet. Shot from my Taurus Public Defender. The three discs are in the center surrounded by a one foot diameter ring of 12 shot.

The Taurus is a 5 shot .410/.45 Colt revolver. The S&W Governor is a 6 shot .410/.45 Colt/.45ACP revolver. Of the two, I'd prefer the S&W but either are good guns.

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and was wondering what opinions everyone had on the Taurus Judge Public Defender as a home protection pistol. I do not plan to conceal carry it. I also have a High Point 9mm and a Para 1911 .45 but feel the Judge is the best for in home because of the .410 ammo. I look forward to reading your opinions :)

Thanks,

Jim

Based on many reviews that I have read including ballistic gel tests, I would only trust the one that handles 3" shells. In every test that I had seen, the smaller shells did not have the penetration necessary to be an effective defensive tool against another human being. Against snakes and other critters, sure, not humans. When the 3" shells were used, the tests showed better penetration.

Howdy,

IMO both are gimmick guns that are designed towards sales instead of being practical and effective.

A .410 buckshot load is marginal against a human when fired from a 26" long shotgun barrel and is almost useless when fired from a short pistol length barrel.

If you want a shotgun for HD, get a shotgun not a pistol that shoots .410 shotgun shells.

Paul

Howdy,

IMO both are gimmick guns that are designed towards sales instead of being practical and effective.

A .410 buckshot load is marginal against a human when fired from a 26" long shotgun barrel and is almost useless when fired from a short pistol length barrel.

If you want a shotgun for HD, get a shotgun not a pistol that shoots .410 shotgun shells.

Paul

I agree Sten

Howdy,

Paul
+1

Gun Tests Results that may help.

August 2012 of Gun Tests Magazine
~
.410 Handguns and Long Guns to Consider for Self Defense

About a year ago, Ray Ordorica compared two handguns chambered for the .410 shotshell, the S&W Governor 45 ACP, 45 LC, 410/2.5-inch, $679; and the Taurus Judge Model 4510TKR-3BUL 45 LC/410 2.5-inch, $620. We learned back then that these handguns performed better with smaller shot. Ray first patterned the Gov at 3 yards, which gave a pattern with Winchester Super-X No. 7.5 shot that fit onto a sheet of 8.5-inch x 11-inch paper. At 5 yards from the muzzle, the pattern with the Governor spread to about 18 inches. This was far superior to what we got with shot loads from the Judge, he reported, which would spread to about a foot at only 3 feet. The same held true with the #4 shot. The Governor’s pattern slightly overlapped a sheet of paper with a spotty pattern fired from 9 feet, but at that same range the Judge barely struck the paper. At 15 feet, the pattern differences were astounding. The Smith Governor put all its shot into a 17-inch circle. The Judge put its shot into a 34-inch circle, twice the diameter. The Judge’s pattern had many holes, but the Governor’s pattern was even, and quite impressive. The shot shell results very much favored the Smith & Wesson.
With 000 buck from 20 feet, the results from both guns were spotty. He concluded the maximum range for 000 buck is about 20 feet.
Our Team Said: The Governor earned a Grade: A mark, followed closely by the Taurus with a B+.
More on the Judge
An October 2009 Special Report (that followed up an August 2009 article on the Judge) focused on patterning the Taurus Judge with Nos. 6 and 7.5 shot and with buckshot. The first test of the popular Taurus Judge used No. 4 shot. Using No. 6 and No. 7.5 shot, the pattern density was best with the smallest shot, which had very little of the noted doughnut shape observed with No. 4s. Patterns with No. 7.5s were slightly tighter than with No. 6s. Specifically, at 15 feet they were 28 and 32 inches, respectively.
We obtained what are perhaps the most interesting results with the use of three-pellet buckshot, by both Winchester and Sellier & Bellot. We also got some Russian five-pellet loads, but they were 2.75 inches long, and could not be fired in our 2.5-inch-chamber Judge. We first tried the S&B loads at 6 feet. To our surprise we got a 3-inch pattern. Moving back to 15 feet, the three pellets had a spread of only 4 inches. At 20 feet they averaged just less than 5 inches.

We then tried the Winchester three-pellet loads at 15 feet, and they gave considerably more recoil and blast, and went into a larger group of just under 7 inches on average. At 20 feet the Winchester buckshot loads went into 8-inch groups on average. We maintain the maximum range for buckshot is 20 feet.
Our Team Said: We noted a story online that declared the Judge to be a shotgun in your pocket. As we found out, nothing could be further from the truth. We shot the Judge at 6 feet and got a 16-inch pattern. At the same distance a .410 shotgun with slight choke put the entire load into just 4 inches.
More at Link Removed
~
Personally with the cost of these handguns, I would consider a pistol grip shotgun in 20/410 configuration. Testing has shown that longer barrels will give tighter groups providing a greater punch when used in a HD situation.

Nice to have all that data. I'm sticking with my Governor and Taurus for two reasons. One, maneuverability in my small apartment....I happen to have lots of "stuff" packed in my place right now. Two, if I need to pull the trigger on another person, I'm going to unload all six of the Governor and all five of the Taurus in a barrage of .410 self-defense rounds. I don't know any attacker that wouldn't be impressed by the amount of metal headed at them from such a barrage (about 165 bits)...add the noise factor and the neighbors will think there's a war on and the police response should be much faster. I do have a 590A1 Mossberg but it would be difficult to aim around corners in my cramped place. Will use the Mossberg to investigate the result of the 11 rounds of .410

I had a Judge, lightweight and sold it, (the only gun I have sold) well it was more of a trade in for a S&W Governor. I don't hear many complaints of any S&W revolver. The action and trigger is much smoother then the Judge. It felt much better to me when shooting it.
I got the Governor because it is a S&W, it carried one more round and it gave me an additional choice of ammo, the .45 ACP. Overall the fit and finish was much better.
As far as this gun for home defense I think it would more then suffice. I think it is an excellent "home gun".
Concerning the debate as to whether or not it is a good choice I think that mixing up the .410 with the .45 LC is the way to go. In that case I think there would be no doubt.
For instance you can set it up so the the first two shots are .45 LC, for accuracy then 3 rounds of .410 in case you don't aim so well and finally another round of .45LC just to me sure! lol
Imaging your own scenario and configuration. I think combining those options would take much doubt out of this weapon being a good home defense choice.
This is not about it being the only or best "home gun" choice but you have a lot of options on how to bring it into action and therefore there is nothing wrong with it.
For those that want to compare it to other choices that you think are bette,r get back to me after you put the moat in with the Alligators and have trained your Rottie to shoot an AR as a last resort.:biggrin:

Nice to have all that data. I'm sticking with my Governor and Taurus for two reasons. One, maneuverability in my small apartment....I happen to have lots of "stuff" packed in my place right now. Two, if I need to pull the trigger on another person, I'm going to unload all six of the Governor and all five of the Taurus in a barrage of .410 self-defense rounds. I don't know any attacker that wouldn't be impressed by the amount of metal headed at them from such a barrage (about 165 bits)...add the noise factor and the neighbors will think there's a war on and the police response should be much faster. I do have a 590A1 Mossberg but it would be difficult to aim around corners in my cramped place. Will use the Mossberg to investigate the result of the 11 rounds of .410

Personally, I would not admit that on a public forum. You shoot until the threat is stopped; no more. To publicly claim you would unload your firearm, grab another one, fire and unload that one too would give even the youngest, wet behind the ears assistant DA enough fodder to tarnish your claim of self-defense.

Guess I'm both wrong and convicted already....jeez Louise...at my age could use the dementia defense....lock me up and feed me Pablum.....

Guess I'm both wrong and convicted already....jeez Louise...at my age could use the dementia defense....lock me up and feed me Pablum.....

You take me the wrong way Riverkilt... I'm not convicting you or saying you're wrong. I'm just making you aware that whatever you say on a public forum stays on a public forum and anyone, anywhere can have access to it. Just a friendly and polite heads up is all. :smile:

I had a Judge, lightweight and sold it, (the only gun I have sold) well it was more of a trade in for a S&W Governor. I don't hear many complaints of any S&W revolver. The action and trigger is much smoother then the Judge. It felt much better to me when shooting it.
I got the Governor because it is a S&W, it carried one more round and it gave me an additional choice of ammo, the .45 ACP. Overall the fit and finish was much better.
As far as this gun for home defense I think it would more then suffice. I think it is an excellent "home gun".
Concerning the debate as to whether or not it is a good choice I think that mixing up the .410 with the .45 LC is the way to go. In that case I think there would be no doubt.
For instance you can set it up so the the first two shots are .45 LC, for accuracy then 3 rounds of .410 in case you don't aim so well and finally another round of .45LC just to me sure! lol
Imaging your own scenario and configuration. I think combining those options would take much doubt out of this weapon being a good home defense choice.
This is not about it being the only or best "home gun" choice but you have a lot of options on how to bring it into action and therefore there is nothing wrong with it.
For those that want to compare it to other choices that you think are bette,r get back to me after you put the moat in with the Alligators and have trained your Rottie to shoot an AR as a last resort.:biggrin:
The moat filled with gators, well if I wanted to put in choke points, our canal system will work. :biggrin: The canal just north of the house has had two Nile Crocs in it. One was shot and killed and there is a shoot to kill order on the other. My Rottie with an AR? I'm afraid he'd use it to get even with my Rhodesian Ridgeback Rottie. I have plenty of scars just from playing with the RRR.

The moat filled with gators, well if I wanted to put in choke points, our canal system will work. :biggrin: The canal just north of the house has had two Nile Crocs in it. One was shot and killed and there is a shoot to kill order on the other. My Rottie with an AR? I'm afraid he'd use it to get even with my Rhodesian Ridgeback Rottie. I have plenty of scars just from playing with the RRR.
wow very interesting. We have had Rotties since '82 and think a pure "Ridgie" might be in the future sometime.

So, no paranoia - just wisdom - now that I've said I'd unload 11 shots of .410 at a home invader IF I should actually have to do that it could be held against me if someone dug it off the Internet...long odds, but I see the point. Still, think that these forums are a place to share ideas and wisdom - so....hopefully it'll be someone else that'll save their bacon by unloading a barrage from their Governor or Public Defender....

Not talking about you now Wolf_Fire...think its so damned sad that so many firearms forums are more trolls and on line sniping at what others post instead of sharing ideas, tactics, good and bad products and vendors...

Use the bear hunting rule and save the last round for yourself.

From a home defense point of view, I have a Taurus Judge for just that purpose, and have shot it enough to know it is one good choice for me -- for home defense. I keep it loaded like this:
First shell will be a #4 shot .410 - at 10 feet (the distance to an outside door from my bed, and the distance from my recliner to the living room door) I will pepper the intruder from the groin to the face with just point and shoot, even if the penetration isn't that great through heavy clothing.
If he's still standing and not blinded, and is still a threat to me or Her Majesty, the second shot will be a Home Defense round with the three discs plus B-Bs. The three discs will hit him center mass, and the B-Bs will further pepper his torso and face.
If further action is necessary, I'll have three LC .45s left in my little hand cannon to follow up with.
If he has any friends with him, and the previous noisy blasts from that hand cannon hasn't scared them off, they'll face the number of rounds necessary to stop their threat to our health from my Bersa 9mm UC. I'm too old for fisticuffs, but I shoot darned well for an old coot, and will do everything I can to stop a threat to Her Majesty and myself. For myself, I think my .410/.45LC is a good choice for close quarters defense-- Of course, that's just my opinion.

I have a variety of home defense options. In the safe I have my choice of a .410 double barrel or a Winchester semi auto 12. Both are loaded and on safe. In my bed in a locked safe (4 buttons to push) I have a hand gun and on the nightstand is my carry gun. Either a glock 19, 23 or 26. Soup dejour of the day, what ever I've been carrying. I am not worried if it is the .410 option. I've fired it at various ranges and have a lot of confidence of what it can do inside house range (ok, my house isn't all that large :)

So, no paranoia - just wisdom - now that I've said I'd unload 11 shots of .410 at a home invader IF I should actually have to do that it could be held against me if someone dug it off the Internet...long odds, but I see the point. Still, think that these forums are a place to share ideas and wisdom - so....hopefully it'll be someone else that'll save their bacon by unloading a barrage from their Governor or Public Defender....

Not talking about you now Wolf_Fire...think its so damned sad that so many firearms forums are more trolls and on line sniping at what others post instead of sharing ideas, tactics, good and bad products and vendors...

On your second point, agreed. However, with any group of people, there are always going to be that small few that make things miserable for others. I've been calling it my 5% rule, however, with Congress I call it my 95% rule. :sarcastic:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back