Tactical lights, good or bad for home defense?

m.ritz

I just wanted to get some opinions on rail mounted tactical lights for home protection. As far as I can come up with, I see the pros being that you can see what you're shooting at in the dark, and you put the intruder at a disadvantage if you have 600+ lumens blasting in his face. The con that I can think of would be giving away your location when searching for him after hearing him enter your home. Do I have that right, or am I missing something in my strategy? I've never used one before, or been in any kind of defensive situation involving a gun. (And hopefully it stays that way!)

Sent from my SM-G900V using USA Carry mobile app

Get some training! That will answer your questions and help you decide. Your questions relate to weapons handling in low light conditions and home defense with a firearm, two different topics.

For me, a weapon-mounted light is a MUST on any home defense firearm. Rule #4: Identify your target, and what is behind it. Most weapon-mounted lights have a momentary-on switch that allows one to turn on the light when needed. You won't give your location away until you have the need to identify your target. You do not need to point the firearm at something for identification. Point the firearm in a safe direction (up or down) and turn on the light. The reflection off the ground or ceiling will provide enough light for identification. 600+ lumens is way too much. There is no need to light up a room to daylight conditions. Your eyes won't be able to adjust that quickly. You can also blind yourself via reflective surfaces. 200-300 lumens is tactically more sound.

Something to consider.......

Night lights that plug into the wall are cheap. Cheap enough to have more than one in each room. And if there are enough placed properly they give enough light to be able to identify who is in the room.

Watch this: James Yeager - Low Light.

If you can identify your target without a light, then you obviously don't need to use it. In a home defense situation, you usually would need to use a light to identify your target. Blindly shooting at someone who you assume is an intruder is simply not a good idea. A weapon-mounted light with a momentary-on switch allows you to use the light only when needed, such as right before and during shooting an intruder. This will help with shooting accuracy and quickly stopping the threat too.

As for giving away your position, you have two choices: (1) knowing your target (and what's behind or in front of it) and giving away your position, or (2) not knowing your target (and what's behind or in front of it) and not giving away your position. Shooting at someone will give away your position to some extent anyway. Again, if you don't have to use the light, then simply don't. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Night lights are a great idea. I have deployed them in my home.

Get some training!

I have lights on all of my home defense weapons (1 handgun, 1 rifle and 1 shotgun). I carry the handgun at night when I take the dog outside for his last "business-run" of the night, because I live where snakes and wild boar are ever-present. I have yet to run into either at night out here, but my closest neighbor actually shot a boar from his back deck the same week we moved in here. He used his lighted AR, which made me consider taking mine out for dog-walks too, but after doing it for a few nights after finding out why he was shooting that night maybe a month or so later, I decided to stick with my lighted .45 just for convenience's sake.

I don't really anticipate any intruders of the two-legged variety out where I live, but the two-legged variety were the anticipated target(s) when I decided to have lights on three of the weapons I own. For them, and for more urban or suburban environments than where I live, I would sign onto everything bofh has had to say about the subject in this thread (with the exception that it will be a cold day in Hell when I cite James Yeager as a source for anything! LOL). As with the rationale that many of us rely on for why we carry guns, lights are better to have if/when you need them than to not have them if/when you need them. There is really no logic that can refute that simple axiom.

Blues

#1, if it is so dark in you home that the BG, can't see you, you really can't see him either. Shooting in the dark is showy, but not effective.
#2, after the first round, what limited vision you might have had is gone, muzzle flash is a ***** in the dark.
#3, the BG would have to aim at the light, even a 150 lumen light with a tight beam, while you have a great view of him, is he armed, is he advancing, is it your adult child coming home drunk? (locally a guy killed his 24 y/o daughter that came to their house instead of going to her apartment much further away because she had a little too much to drink that evening. He was shooting at a shape in the hallway he could not identify.)
#4, if they are a threat, and lethal force is appropriate, the center of the hot spot on my light is where the gun is aimed, I don't need to use the sights, put the hot spot of the beam center mass, and that's where the round will go, (confirmed at the range @ 7m) plus I will not be blinded by muzzle flash for any needed follow-up rounds.

Very sound logic guys! I'm sold. I was leaning towards a light, but wasn't sure. Now I am. I'm glad I asked! Thanks guys!

The reasons to have a weapon mounted light outweigh the reasons not to in my book. Night sights and a light are on all my HD weapons.

Weapoin mounted lights are a bad idea

I was first taught to use a non weapon mounted light. I have a general dislike of weapon mounted lights. With someone who is scared using a flashlight by pointing a loaded weapon to see what or who is there can not be a good idea. Unless very, very very well trained. Could they push the wrong button or fire in panic? Untrained and scared may limit one's ability to make good actions. Also if someone shoots at the flashlight you are holding you may lose your ability to defend yourself. I'm a seasoned citizen with an opinion. Scared people can make very poor irreversible decisions in any crisis situation. I wouldn't recommend it.:confused:

I was first taught to use a non weapon mounted light. I have a general dislike of weapon mounted lights. With someone who is scared using a flashlight by pointing a loaded weapon to see what or who is there can not be a good idea. Unless very, very very well trained. Could they push the wrong button or fire in panic? Untrained and scared may limit one's ability to make good actions. Also if someone shoots at the flashlight you are holding you may lose your ability to defend yourself. I'm a seasoned citizen with an opinion. Scared people can make very poor irreversible decisions in any crisis situation. I wouldn't recommend it.:confused:

I am not exactly sure what you are arguing here. Stupid people do stupid stuff, but that's not an argument.

You do not need to point the firearm with a weapon-mounted light at something or someone for identification. Point the firearm in a safe direction (up or down) and temporarily turn on the light. The reflection off the ground or ceiling will provide enough light for identification.

Handling two items, a flashlight and a handgun, under stress is more complex than handling one, a handgun with a weapon-mounted light. Handling a flashlight and a handgun requires more coordination and good one-handed shooting skills. It is more complex, especially under stress, and requires more training and practice.

Trigger finger discipline is always required when handling a firearm, independent from any additional equipment or stress. That's why one should get some training and practice the use of a weapon-mounted light at the range. In a stress situation, you default to the lowest level of training you have mastered. You can't fix a training issue with equipment.

If you do not have to use the light because you can identify your target without it, then simply don't. Otherwise, you have two choices: (1) knowing your target and giving away your position, or (2) not knowing your target and not giving away your position. Shooting at someone will give away your position to some extent anyway. Night lights are a great idea to help you navigate through your home without the need to switch on the weapon-mounted light.

If someone shoots at you, you can lose your life. Blindly shooting back doesn't help your situation. Having the light on while shooting can greatly improve your hit rate.

Lastly, the choice between a flashlight or weapon-mounted light is only relevant for handguns. The OP is about home defense, where shotguns and rifles are more prevalent. A weapon-mounted light for a home defense long gun is a MUST.

I just wanted to get some opinions on rail mounted tactical lights for home protection. As far as I can come up with, I see the pros being that you can see what you're shooting at in the dark, and you put the intruder at a disadvantage if you have 600+ lumens blasting in his face. The con that I can think of would be giving away your location when searching for him after hearing him enter your home. Do I have that right, or am I missing something in my strategy? I've never used one before, or been in any kind of defensive situation involving a gun. (And hopefully it stays that way!)

Tac lights, like most things, are situational. I like having options available :)

Consider the worst case scenarios: you use a light and an intruder can shoot at you, or you shoot in the dark and hit an innocent person.

Howdy,

if you want an intruder to know exactly where the threat to him is, use a tacticool light.

Something to consider.......

Night lights that plug into the wall are cheap. Cheap enough to have more than one in each room. And if there are enough placed properly they give enough light to be able to identify who is in the room.

Back in the "Day" when I went through CQB training we were trained that a flashlight was a great place to aim.

Most people are right handed and will carry a WML in their right hand. Aim slightly to the left of the light and blast away.

I never understood the need for a WML for home defense either. Here's why:

1.) You "should" know your home better than a home intruder. If not a WML will not matter.

2.). Even if you briefly "flash" your flashlight you give away your position and ruin any "tactical" advantage you may have had.

3,). Ties into #2....... If a BG breaks into your home at night with you there and is armed with a handgun as soon as you "flash" your flashlight more likely than not the BG will blast away in your direction.

Oh, what's begind you at 3am? Your wife and kids ( or for some of the members, their mom ).

So, you just "flashed" your flashlight at an armed BG and in return he fired a half dozen 9mm hollow points in your direction.

A simple solution to this is a monitored alarm system.

I have one that has a battery backup that will last +6 days with a battery backup cell phone that calls when the system is triggered.

Also has a very loud siren that can be heard over one mile away.

Paul

Just because you have a light mounted on your gun doesn't mean you have to use it.

Obviously...and really this should go without saying in the modern American age....training is key. Everything is fact-based situation dependent. Maybe a light is good for this scenario, but will get you killed in that scenario. I don't know, and neither do you until it actually happens, so I like to keep options open and that means mounting a light.

I have one that has a battery backup that will last +6 days with a battery backup cell phone that calls when the system is triggered.

Paul

Yes, it helps the police find your home and the bodies.

Howdy,

Back in the "Day" when I went through CQB training we were trained that a flashlight was a great place to aim.

Most people are right handed and will carry a WML in their right hand. Aim slightly to the left of the light and blast away.

I never understood the need for a WML for home defense either. Here's why:

1.) You "should" know your home better than a home intruder. If not a WML will not matter.

2.). Even if you briefly "flash" your flashlight you give away your position and ruin any "tactical" advantage you may have had.

3,). Ties into #2....... If a BG breaks into your home at night with you there and is armed with a handgun as soon as you "flash" your flashlight more likely than not the BG will blast away in your direction.

Oh, what's begind you at 3am? Your wife and kids ( or for some of the members, their mom ).

So, you just "flashed" your flashlight at an armed BG and in return he fired a half dozen 9mm hollow points in your direction.

Paul

So, you would be shooting at something or somebody in the dark, not knowing what you are shooting at? Do you expect to hit anything you intended to? Do you expect to not hit anything you not intended to?

Also, once you have identified a BG, you would be shooting at him before he even had a chance to react to the light. With a light, you would actually hit the BG. If at all, the BG would be shooting at you unsighted and miss. You would be shooting from behind cover (or at least concealment).

An alarm system is a MUST as well, but that was not the OPs question. Loud sirens are good, but not necessarily inside the house.

Imo, alarms are great for when you're not home. When you are, you will most likely need to have the situation taken care of by the time police are there, otherwise it may be too late. I've fairly well decided, if we hear an intruder enter the home, we get to the kids room, with a gun in hand, and we sit in the corner with them, shut and lock the door. Whoever is in the house can take what they want, but if they bust through that door, they're dead. Period. I won't kill someone to protect possessions, but my family are my possessions, and them I will kill for.

Imo, alarms are great for when you're not home. When you are, you will most likely need to have the situation taken care of by the time police are there, otherwise it may be too late. I've fairly well decided, if we hear an intruder enter the home, we get to the kids room, with a gun in hand, and we sit in the corner with them, shut and lock the door. Whoever is in the house can take what they want, but if they bust through that door, they're dead. Period. I won't kill someone to protect possessions, but my family are my possessions, and them I will kill for.

+1

My alarm system, including fire/smoke, serves two purposes, when we are away, and to wake me up if the perimeter is breached (my older dogs don't hear so well now).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back