Suffolk county pd pistol permit ny

There have been multiple confirmed reports of SCPD (Suffolk County Police Department) pistol Licensing officers giving the following information:
Suffolk county pistol licensee's can not leave NYS with their registered firearms. Even if they have concealed carry licenses with bordering states such as pennsylvania and Connecticut. Can A Suffolk County licensee with a carry permit travel to a state where they are duly licensed as a non-resident such as Florida? By Air travel? ie. Islip Airport(NY) to Fort Lauderdale(FL)??. The SCPD officers say that the Firearms can not leave NY State. Can someone please provide a response with some type of explaination and proof to backup the legal standing?
Lastly, Can SCPD revoke somoene's license for taking their NY registered pistols to Connecticut or Pennsyvania when they have non-resident Concealed carry licenses in those destinations ?
Many people will benefit from the correct answer to these above mentioned questions...

the problem is that tyrants like the cops in NY make up regs on their own and believe their own BS, they are only stopped when someone or some group with the resources to mount a challenge takes them to court. why are you coming here asking people here to defend the idiocy offered by NY cops?

I teach the NYS Penal Law as part of the County Sheriff's handgun training program. You may take your gun anywhere it's legal to possess. In-state or out-of-state. When flying contact your carrier in advance for instructions on how to pack the gun and here to deliver it. There is nothing in NYS law that says you may not take you guns out of the state. Never even heard of such a thing. Ignore that cop.

Im here to get more educated by folks that know the NY Law and so that law abiding citizens can view this type of information when they are in need of clarification and guidance.

Agreed. There is nothing prohibitive in the NYS penal law or specifically in section 400. What would be the best way to get something in writing from NY State that would prevent any licensing Officer on Long Island from exercising their own "discretion and interpretation" regarding the issuance and administrative control of thier county license?
Some type of official correspondence that adresses the legality of NYS registered handguns posessed by pistol licensees would put many people at ease
It would also prevent unnessary legal impediments and contraversy.
Any suggestions??

Agreed. There is nothing prohibitive in the NYS penal law or specifically in section 400. What would be the best way to get something in writing from NY State that would prevent any licensing Officer on Long Island from exercising their own "discretion and interpretation" regarding the issuance and administrative control of thier county license?
Some type of official correspondence that adresses the legality of NYS registered handguns posessed by pistol licensees would put many people at ease
It would also prevent unnessary legal impediments and contraversy.
Any suggestions??
A licensing officer may not make any decision regarded as arbitrary or capricious. They can't make-up the law as they see fit. Article 400 provides that your permit is good throughout the sate, excepting NYC in spite of (notwithstanding) local or municipal laws. No licensing officer may bend that law. They may not tell you that you may not take your personal property out of the state. You won't get anyone to provide a written statement as to what they can't do. If you have further questions consult with an attorney familiar with NYS gun law.

BTW if you are traveling off the Island and since you are in Suffolk you might consider taking the ferry from Port Jeff so you can avoid the city Burroughs, most likely Queens but also Manhattan. Your next hurdle would be driving around NJ. You need to completely follow the McClure-Volkmer Act for traveling through those anti-Constitution areas. Especially Queens and Manhattan. If you insist going through NJ may I suggest you use Guard Dog ammo or any other EFMJ ammo.
Your premise about your original question is moot because it is a false premise.
Safe travels!

BTW if you are traveling off the Island and since you are in Suffolk you might consider taking the ferry from Port Jeff so you can avoid the city Burroughs, most likely Queens but also Manhattan. Your next hurdle would be driving around NJ. You need to completely follow the McClure-Volkmer Act for traveling through those anti-Constitution areas. Especially Queens and Manhattan. If you insist going through NJ may I suggest you use Guard Dog ammo or any other EFMJ ammo.
Your premise about your original question is moot because it is a false premise.
Safe travels!
Yes, don't enter any borough, city or the county of NY. It's pretty much impossible to get off the island without driving through. NYS PL 400.00 requires you contact the city commissioner of police to get permission to drive through. Regarding NJ, you can posses the gun but make sure it' LOCKED in the trunk UNLOADED, AMMO STORED IN ANOTHER LOCTION, and make sure you have NO HOLLOWPOINTS.

Yes, don't enter any borough, city or the county of NY. It's pretty much impossible to get off the island without driving through. NYS PL 400.00 requires you contact the city commissioner of police to get permission to drive through. Regarding NJ, you can posses the gun but make sure it' LOCKED in the trunk UNLOADED, AMMO STORED IN ANOTHER LOCTION, and make sure you have NO HOLLOWPOINTS.

not quite right, the only hollow point prohibition in NJ is carrying them loaded in a weapon. You can own them, and transport them, you just cannot carry them loaded in a firearm.
that said, nj cops, prosecutors and their courts are know to make up law as they go.

not quite right, the only hollow point prohibition in NJ is carrying them loaded in a weapon. You can own them, and transport them, you just cannot carry them loaded in a firearm.
that said, nj cops, prosecutors and their courts are know to make up law as they go.
Can't carry anything loaded in the firearm. A non-resident carrying HP's in a separate container is getting arrested. Here's the NJ State Police on the subject. A non-resident driving through the state is not entitled to the exemption provided under N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1).

My believe is they are subscribing to the "if you have to ask, you should not be doing it" theory. I spend a lot of time there and have seen some interactions with uneducated citizens that would frustrate the hell out of me if I were in their shoes. Know the laws, follow the laws. It is not their job to educated you and if you don't know, then it's just no. All of the official rules are contained in the handbook you received when you were issued or renewed your permit. It can also be downloaded from the SCPD website. Read it, know it and follow the rules. In particular read article 35 about the use of force.

I stay out of any state that has draconian arms laws. Not one dime out of my pocket will any of these states see. That includes cities that are out of control with crime, despite arbitrary and capricious laws limiting law-abiding citizens rights of self defense.

Not one damned dime.

My home state of Arkansas is on a roll with legislature and law making that is friendly to the Constitution and 2nd amendment, with more slated for next session.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150428/arkansas-legislature-adjourns-sine-die-multiple-progun-measures-pass-in-successful-year

reply to darkstorm's post

Your post contains a condescending remark. Forums are not here for the "elite" or "educated ". They exist to offer guidance and non-legal advice to people with questions. Perhaps not everyone attended Harvard like you seem to have. So instead of doing something illegal or against the rules, citizens are asking questions. And Im sure your college professors have told you that "there is no such thing as a stupid question". Learning is always encouraged!
Back to your last post. You should be aware that Suffolk County is divided into two jurisdictions involving the issuance of NY State Pistol Licenses. The Sheriff handles residents and business applicants east of the 5 Western towns. Suffolk County PD handles everyone else west of Brookhaven to the Nassau border. Additionally,the Suffolk county sheriff dept. has a completely different handbook and it is NOT available online. Furthermore, the Suffolk handbook is vague and subject to interpretation. Call the State Police. NY state registered handguns cannot leave state legally unless you are traveling to a destination that you can legally posses the pistol. Let me refer you to the latest court decision Henderson v. US. Your firearms are your property. Non-law enforcement Suffolk County pistol license holders do travel with their guns. Many go to competitions and training out of state. Article 400 nys PL allows for pistol licensees to travel to NRA sanctioned events as well.

PL 400 even allows out of state persons to travel to certain sanctioned events within NYS. The current SCPD handbook is pretty thorough. It details most of the scenarios that are commonly discussed on online forums. I definitely would not call it vague. There are details on how to transport through NYC and nothing that states you cannot take a firearm out of state. Every person who has a permit in western Suffolk was issued a handbook and acknowledged receipt of it. It is also available online (see link below). It is frustrating and scary that people don't read it. The answers to 99% of the questions are in there. More scary, in my opinion, is article 35 and that people who are carrying firearms, even if just to and from the range, don't know and understand the rule of engagement should something happen and they need to use their firearm. I am surprised that the requirement for an educational class such as used under HR218 has not been required. Maybe it should be. We are actually considering working with an HR 218 instructor to offer such a class. We will see.

Link Removed

I totally agree that there should be mandatory training required for any person who wishes to obtain a NYS pistol license. Its scary that someone who passes all the stringent background checks is able to just take their newly acquired pistol license to a gun store to purchase a handgun. Then proceed to the range and try and figure out how to load ammunition and then shoot their firearm. Its crazy.
Several counties in NYS require a Handgun Familiarization course prior to issuance of a concealed carry license. Westchester is one of them. Suffolk County should impliment the same requirement. Gun safety should be a priority here in Suffolk county. As far as HR218 qualifications go. Licensees should pursue their armed security guard license from NY State. The licensing criteria includes a 47 hour hour class with the HR-218 equivalent of live fire qualification. Each License holder must enroll in an 8 hour refresher course annually to retain active status with NYS. There is a NYPD (standard course of fire) test at the conclusion that must be passed. I am all in to push for mandatory handgun safety education in Suffolk county! Nobody wants to get shot at the range by a newbie.
Nice convo on this post!

Good grief. The vicious cycle of nanny states creating citizens that want nanny a state.

I totally agree that there should be mandatory training required for any person who wishes to obtain a NYS pistol license. Its scary that someone who passes all the stringent background checks is able to just take their newly acquired pistol license to a gun store to purchase a handgun. Then proceed to the range and try and figure out how to load ammunition and then shoot their firearm. Its crazy.
Several counties in NYS require a Handgun Familiarization course prior to issuance of a concealed carry license. Westchester is one of them. Suffolk County should impliment the same requirement. Gun safety should be a priority here in Suffolk county. As far as HR218 qualifications go. Licensees should pursue their armed security guard license from NY State. The licensing criteria includes a 47 hour hour class with the HR-218 equivalent of live fire qualification. Each License holder must enroll in an 8 hour refresher course annually to retain active status with NYS. There is a NYPD (standard course of fire) test at the conclusion that must be passed. I am all in to push for mandatory handgun safety education in Suffolk county! Nobody wants to get shot at the range by a newbie.
Nice convo on this post!

Any comments on how your mandatory training requirement will lead to the inevitable: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/new-jersey-discussion-firearm-news/51223-another-citizen-denied-2nd-amendment-rights-dead.html#post574329.

Quite often when I hear stories like this it falls under the category of "if you have to ask, you probably should not be doing it". Do your research, read the laws of NY, the SCPD handbook, the TSA and airline rules (if flying) and follow them. PLB is a licensing agency, not a helpline to answer your questions, that is why you generally get short "no, you can't" answers if you call. It may not be right, but it is the reality we have to live with. We see the same thing here running a large gun store. We get ton's of phone calls, "can I do this", "can I buy that", etc. We do our best to help, but we are not lawyers.

Quite often when I hear stories like this it falls under the category of "if you have to ask, you probably should not be doing it". .... We do our best to help....

Those two statements seem to be mutually-exclusive, especially when someone is seeking information that you ostensibly have the correct answer(s) to. Telling them they shouldn't be doing whatever it is they are seeking information about is decidedly not helping them in the proper way to do that thing, much less doing your "best to help."

The fact that the Law begs for interpretation, explanation and "what if" investigation, by law abiding citizens, courts and police alike, only reinforces the concept that Gun Control (limiting the 2nd Amendment) leads to a deterioration of the basic rights afforded us under our Constitution.

What happened to, "we want law abiding citizens to be able to own guns?"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back