Stress inoculation training.

Eidolon

Alter Kocker
I’m a big believer that someone with training is far less likely to freeze under stress than someone who has no training. I’ve been asked what kind of training will stop you from freezing and I’m not sure why but the answer completely slipped my mind, Stress inoculation training.

The best way to learn to handle stress is to induce it. One good way to induce stress is to compete in shooting sports that demand you exercise your skills and equipment under the pressure of time and other shooters. IDPA and IPSC are widely available options.

The military has used things such as high obstacles on confidence courses, a 200 ft night rappel in the mountain phase of Ranger school to innoculate soldiers against fear and teach them that they can perform when they should be scared out of their wits.

From the first day of my military career some form of induced stress (cold, lack of sleep, physical exaustion, screaming Drill Sergeants, training simulators, simunitions) was a part of every training event.

Some training environments offer force-on-force scenarios. While these are not competition events, when properly conducted they can offer very realistic opportunities to encounter situations that have relevance to potential real world events.

My current employer uses FATS training (which is far more stressful than you would think) and force on force training to induce stress and it works quite well. Many comment after going through their first FoF exercise that it is a life changing event. I've seen the stress send experienced people to the level of overwhelmed and literally unable to act. The judge had to call the scenario to a stop. Force on force training, especially the type where you are put a random scenario where you don’t know what is coming next can be on of the best ways of training yourself to react under stress.

I've been married to the same woman for 33 years, and raised 2 boys and 1 girl.

Bring it on, FATS.

I’m a big believer that someone with training is far less likely to freeze under stress than someone who has no training. I’ve been asked what kind of training will stop you from freezing and I’m not sure why but the answer completely slipped my mind, Stress inoculation training.

The best way to learn to handle stress is to induce it. One good way to induce stress is to compete in shooting sports that demand you exercise your skills and equipment under the pressure of time and other shooters. IDPA and IPSC are widely available options.

The military has used things such as high obstacles on confidence courses, a 200 ft night rappel in the mountain phase of Ranger school to innoculate soldiers against fear and teach them that they can perform when they should be scared out of their wits.

From the first day of my military career some form of induced stress (cold, lack of sleep, physical exaustion, screaming Drill Sergeants, training simulators, simunitions) was a part of every training event.

Some training environments offer force-on-force scenarios. While these are not competition events, when properly conducted they can offer very realistic opportunities to encounter situations that have relevance to potential real world events.

My current employer uses FATS training (which is far more stressful than you would think) and force on force training to induce stress and it works quite well. Many comment after going through their first FoF exercise that it is a life changing event. I've seen the stress send experienced people to the level of overwhelmed and literally unable to act. The judge had to call the scenario to a stop. Force on force training, especially the type where you are put a random scenario where you don’t know what is coming next can be on of the best ways of training yourself to react under stress.

Well said but I doubt that many if not most forum members have the time or the inclination or the desire to even participate in many training classes. Easy for me to say, but I consider myself intelligent and "know myself". Before I even purchased a firearm, I tried very hard to look into who I am and convinced myself that I have no compulsion in presenting, aiming and discharging a firearm at anyone who presents imminent danger to me and that also includes no need for "counseling" after the fact. You present imminent danger I will draw, I will shoot, and if you die, I will go on with my life with no second thoughts---period/end of story. Again--easy to say on a forum and training surely can be helpful per this thread, but I practice my shooting and have confidence in my resolve. Imminent threat alone is enough of a scenario to make me act, training or not.

you can never guess how someone will react in an extreme situation, even people with intense, high levels of training can become totally useless when put into a stressful encounter. while training can mitigate this it isn't a guarantee that someone will perform flawlessly

you can never guess how someone will react in an extreme situation, even people with intense, high levels of training can become totally useless when put into a stressful encounter. while training can mitigate this it isn't a guarantee that someone will perform flawlessly
No form of training is fool proof but working on stress training will make you better prepared for a real fight

IMHO... (yeh right, ME humble) The MOST IMPORTANT thing is to have made the decision BEFOREHAND that if it comes down to me or them that gets to go home afterwards, it is going to be ME.... In other words, You have to be willing to defend yourself BEFORE you find the need to defend yourself....... Or you may pause and that pause will very likely be the last one you ever take...

The martial arts( and there are many to choose from) would be a good way to improve your awareness and your strength.There is plenty of stress when you practice your hand to hand. Just a though.

The martial arts( and there are many to choose from) would be a good way to improve your awareness and your strength.There is plenty of stress when you practice your hand to hand. Just a though.

That has much to do with which "Art" you are learning, some are actually more relaxing than stressful...

If someone is threatening my wife or daughter...that is all the stress training I need. With respect to the 2 of them I will kill anything at anytime to protect them. I think most parents will not hesitate to pull the trigger or swing the baseball bat at anybody that is a threat to their childs well being. That is simply the natural law of being a parent. Those without children trust me on this one.

If someone is threatening my wife or daughter...that is all the stress training I need. With respect to the 2 of them I will kill anything at anytime to protect them. I think most parents will not hesitate to pull the trigger or swing the baseball bat at anybody that is a threat to their childs well being. That is simply the natural law of being a parent. Those without children trust me on this one.

Do you want to just react or react effectively?

Do you want to just react or react effectively?

Reacting effectively will be no problem...I will have a mission. It might be like a "bull seeing red". It is not the red that causes the bull to react effectively...it is the motion of the cape. The motion of someone causing harm to my daughter or wife is like "seeing red". If you are asking a question like if I would just start putting rounds down range without regard for shot placement, I think I won't dignify a question like that with a response.

Reacting effectively will be no problem...I will have a mission.

And this is based on your past experience right?

It might be like a "bull seeing red". It is not the red that causes the bull to react effectively...it is the motion of the cape.

I found out the hard way that this actually isn't true. I wore a red jacket to a rodeo and hung it on a fence post while working the chutes A bull in the next pen saw it and went nuts. Jacket was just hanging there, wasn't moving a lick

The motion of someone causing harm to my daughter or wife is like "seeing red".

And what generally happens to the bull?

If you are asking a question like if I would just start putting rounds down range without regard for shot placement, I think I won't dignify a question like that with a response.

Actually I was thinkng more along the lines of you being over come by stress you aren't prepared to deal with and freezing

And this is based on your past experience right?

I found out the hard way that this actually isn't true. I wore a red jacket to a rodeo and hung it on a fence post while working the chutes A bull in the next pen saw it and went nuts. Jacket was just hanging there, wasn't moving a lick

And what generally happens to the bull?

Actually I was thinkng more along the lines of you being over come by stress you aren't prepared to deal with and freezing

You have never been to a bull fight...I have...many many many. They attack all sorts of colors and black, gray, and white. The colors are moving. Hop on down to Juarez one day and take in a toro or two.

The rest of your stuff makes me think you do not have children or ever did. If you did you would know exactly what I am talking about. You will do anything to protect the life of your child...even sacrifice your own life if need be. If you don't believe that just go start whacking on somebodies kid and see how quickly you ass turns to dust. Not something I would recommend but it is one sure fire way to find out. Just hope they get you on the first whack because some parents are in to torture when you mess with their kids. The adrenalin will not stop pumping until you are completely out of the equation. Trust me on this. It is for your own safety.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back