State Forest

JoeH

Does anyone know if its legal to concealed carry at Harbison State Forest?

Joe

http://www.state.sc.us/forest/refhartg.htm

HARBISON TRAIL RULES

NOT PERMITTED:
• Firearms

Don't know how your state handles it, but my understanding of current law here in WV a simple sign isn't enough to put a CWP holder at risk of prosecution. To be in violation of the law, you must refuse someone's request to leave. At that point it is criminal trespassing. You may want to check out the fact sheet for your state at http://handgunlaw.us/states/ for a summary of your state rules and all of the links to the relevant source data provided by your state offices.

Myself personally, I'd consider myself lucky to only get out of the situation with a misdemeanor firearm charge if attacked by a bear or the likes in the woods. Otherwise I'd never give it a bit of worry because I would have it legally concealed to the point nobody would ever know.

Last edited:
JoeH, call your CWP instructor, they will know and should have covered in your class, but if that was long ago I can understand not remembering "everything". Did you search SLED and the Gun Laws yet?

I would only use places like handgunlaw as a reference but not depend on what may or may not be listed.

I would sat yes. The information I found when my family and were going hiking last week is as follows:
State Parks: yes 51-3-145
State/National Forests: Yes. 51-3-145

WMA: Yes. 123-203(b) & 123-203 (d)

Joe H,

Concealed Carry is permitted in all Federal and State Parks under the direction of the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, WITH a current CWP in your possession. Special consideration should be given to the buildings, which they refer to as "facilities", as you may NOT carry into any "facilities" at the park. Normally, these "facilities" will be posted with a smaller than normal, but visible "No concealed weapons symbol". It is always BEST to make contact through an email or personal telephone call to the Park Ranger of the Park that you will be visiting for special instructions, PRIOR to your planned visit.

Last edited:
SCFC Harbison Trail Guide

HARBISON TRAIL RULES

NOT PERMITTED:
• Firearms

Don't know how your state handles it, but my understanding of current law here in WV a simple sign isn't enough to put a CWP holder at risk of prosecution. To be in violation of the law, you must refuse someone's request to leave. At that point it is criminal trespassing. You may want to check out the fact sheet for your state at Index of /states for a summary of your state rules and all of the links to the relevant source data provided by your state offices.

Myself personally, I'd consider myself lucky to only get out of the situation with a misdemeanor firearm charge if attacked by a bear or the likes in the woods. Otherwise I'd never give it a bit of worry because I would have it legally concealed to the point nobody would ever know.

In SC the simple sign is all the notice that is needed. If the sign meets the legal requirements and you are discovered then you can immediately be charged. They do not have to ask you to leave before you are charged the sign is sufficient. In SC the requirements are spelled out in the law and if the sign meets them you need to obey, if the don't then they don't have any bearing at all.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back