State Background checks slow. Affecting Permit Issuing Time.

JimPage

The state is delaying background checks on mental health records due to a retirement and undermanning. Some new employees are in training. It is affecting other investigations also. See the new article:

Link Removed

This is nothing new in New York State. There has always been long delays in processing pistol permits.Average wait time has been 8-12 months and in some circumstances poeple have waited over 14 months. Pennsylvania can process pistol permits in 3-5 days, Florida 30-45 days New York State makes delays Intentional in hopes poeple will just give up.

This is nothing new in New York State. There has always been long delays in processing pistol permits.Average wait time has been 8-12 months and in some circumstances poeple have waited over 14 months. Pennsylvania can process pistol permits in 3-5 days, Florida 30-45 days New York State makes delays Intentional in hopes poeple will just give up.

It may seem that way to you, but this is the actual reason for this delay. I have seen permits in this county, Onieda, process in about 6 weeks. Of course the NYC pols are constantly trying to throw monkey wrenches into the system, but this is actually not intentional as far as I can determine. Let's not get more paranoid than we are entitled to be ;)

jimpage,
I'm not disagreeing with you, merely just pointing out that our State will do anything to delay your pistol permit.Here in Erie County I know poeple that have, and are waiting over 14 months I just dont understand how some counties and different States can process permits in 6 weeks and in my case my Pennsylvania LTCF took only 3 days & my Florida took 38 days.

What is New York doing Different??? Nothing just dragging their Feet. When I received my permit back in 1986 it only took roughly 4 weeks Now its around 14-16 months it seems the more advanced we become the slower we get.

Computers were suppose to speed things up not slow us down. But most important I dont think The New York State Department of Mental Hygene should have anything to do with processing Pistol Permits thats my opionion.

jimpage,
But most important I dont think The New York State Department of Mental Hygene should have anything to do with processing Pistol Permits thats my opionion.

Ha! I don't think there should be a "Department of Mental Hygene". I sounds so overkill on the "warm and fuzzy" politically correct label that it is Orwellian. That is where room #101 would be located for torturing people like in the book 1984.

Are permits for possession also considered May Issue in NY?

By statute they are only allowed 6 months to approve or deny..... :angry:

Are permits for possession also considered May Issue in NY?

By statute they are only allowed 6 months to approve or deny..... :angry:

The "official" position is that the 6-month period begins when the application is presented to the issuing officer, which does not happen until after the background check is completed. I don't know of any court decisions on the issue.

Yesterday a local anchorman on WKBW-TV news in Buffalo was reporting on the new Ohio law allowing cc in places where alcohol is served. The goofball commented "it'll be like the wild west...." apparently unaware that in NYS one can cc in a bar or any other place serving alcohol. Wait till he finds that out - he'll pee his pants next time he goes out to eat.

Wow, 8 to 12 months? I am glad I left NY when I did. I just received my conceal Handgun License in Texas and it took 35 days. 19 of those days was on a backgroung check and I thought that was unreasonable...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back