Starbucks' CEO makes a "respectful request that customers no longer bring firearms."

Why would you support a company that requests that you not bring your firearm into their store?

Not a fancy coffee fan and I don't frequent any Starbucks. In answer to your question, as a business owner he could just have easily posted signs saying guns are forbidden. I think this is an attempt to appease the idiots without infringing on our rights.

His request is just that, even in open carry states you could ignore his request under the law. I am CC in Texas and will no longer spend my dime will get donuts and coffee elsewhere.

In the two threads about Starbucks, I noticed no one brought up something that was glaring me in the face. The fact that in Starbucks' letter, they specifically requested that OCers leave their hardware, but then went out of their way to encourage open carrying by authorized LE. What a friggin' double standard. Now did they mean only LE that is on duty in a uniform? That's not what it said.... here's the clip of that letter:
For these reasons, today we are respectfully requesting that customers no longer bring firearms into our stores or outdoor seating areas—even in states where “open carry” is permitted—unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.
So, if I'm an off-duty copy and feel like open carrying, then this request is not for me... they then encourage me to open carry?

*shakes head* I will never understand this kind of illogical nonsense.

Not a fancy coffee fan and I don't frequent any Starbucks. In answer to your question, as a business owner he could just have easily posted signs saying guns are forbidden. I think this is an attempt to appease the idiots without infringing on our rights.

I agree he is just trying to soft sell it. I have never bought any of their high priced junk,and never will, so it sure won't change my carry plans.

I agree he is just trying to soft sell it. I have never bought any of their high priced junk,and never will, so it sure won't change my carry plans.

You gotta remember, this dude is not a politician - he's a businessman. If he says "NO GUNS!" he loses business. If he says "GUNS ARE GREAT" he loses business. This "request" is, from a business sense, his best option without taking a stand that would offend anyone. I have seen many things in the news recently that really get my hackles up and make me want to chew glass. This is not one of them.

I don't give my hard earned money to stores that wish to oppose firearms. Especially when there are many other pro law abiding coffee shops in my area.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Yup, we are sometimes our own worst enemy. The overzealous open-carriers pushed their beliefs into the faces of too many people, too many times and StarBucks took this stance. I find it sad that we did this to ourselves. I know many businesses locally that do not care about CC in their businesses, but do tend to frown on Open-Carry due to the soccer-moms and such that also do their business there. So, maybe this will be a lesson to us all.....common-sense cannot be legislated.

This is a lame attempt by the CEO to be so politically correct as to offend no one.

In actuality, he really thinks that he has managed to pick up a turd by the clean end.

If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't all that long ago that FL was an OC state. Maybe S&W645 or another knowledgeable Floridian will answer that.

Bama literally just became a full-on, protected-by-statute OC state. The reason I said "yet(?)" above when thinking about myself carrying that way is that I've been carrying for about 30 out of the last 35 years, all of it concealed. Not something that will definitely never change, but for now, it's just so deeply ingrained within my comfort zone to go concealed. May happen. We'll see.

My first permission slip was in WA State, where at least two of the more vocal OC'ers on the forum are from, but that was back starting in about '78. I don't recall seeing anyone OC'ing in town there, but I do recall lots of folks carrying openly out where I lived in the sticks (Carnation/Duvall to be exact). It made obvious sense to me out there though, what with the Ferrel Sasquatches runnin' around loose.
ROFLMAO_emote_by_morima.gif
Anyway, Navy, Bikenut, Firefighterchen and others have convinced me that OC is more a deterrent than an attractant to being targeted first (or otherwise), I just haven't implemented that knowledge yet now that I can. 'Course, I'm home WAY too much due to health issues, so it's not like I'm out and about much these days anyway.

Anyway, Schultz is a putz! I respect him as a business man, but as an American, well, I wish there were fewer with his ideology and more with mine. Then everything would end up......well......just exactly like they're going to end up anyway! But I wouldn't be as frustrated with my countrymen while waiting for it to happen.

Maranatha!

Blues
Florida was and still is in some instances an OC state. But for the most part it is not. If you are going or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition it is legal to open carry. Also while hunting or fishing. While on private property with the owner's permission you can open carry. Rest of the time, no. And even if you are carrying legal as to the fishing or hunting, you will get hassled if someone reports a MWAG. Also need the fishing or hunting gear and licenses with you. Otherwise, we lost OC under Janet Reno ( 1987 ). We nearly got it back 2 years ago so there still is hope. There is a court case in the Florida Fourth District Court of Appeal which may open it back up to open carry everywhere in the state where carry is legal.

Yup, we are sometimes our own worst enemy. The overzealous open-carriers pushed their beliefs into the faces of too many people, too many times and StarBucks took this stance. I find it sad that we did this to ourselves. I know many businesses locally that do not care about CC in their businesses, but do tend to frown on Open-Carry due to the soccer-moms and such that also do their business there. So, maybe this will be a lesson to us all.....common-sense cannot be legislated.

You do realize the gun rallies were in response to anti gun boycotting...would you rather there be no opposition so they could have sent out this letter two years ago?

Did you ever go to one of the rallies?

You do realize the gun rallies were in response to anti gun boycotting...would you rather there be no opposition so they could have sent out this letter two years ago?

So you are happy how things turned out. The rally has been labeled in the news as crazies that were put in their place by the company that never supported them in the first place much to the glee of the anti groups. To use a anti gun phrase, common sense said this wasn't a good idea.

But if you would like to explain why this is in our favor, please fill us in.

Starbucks wont miss my dime. When I realized how garbage their coffee was I quit going. I have not been in over 10 years, not even for hot coco.

Just a few comments by an ignorent LEO. Policy dictates most offices & departments as to what, where, and how LE carries off duty. It dictates that the sidearm be concealed in a safe manner so as not to draw attention or create undue emotional reactions. Many rank and file strongly support concealed carry by law abiding citizens. Colorado Sheriff's are taking the new firearm restrictions to court. While I open carry in the back country and the small towns when I stop to eat after a day of hunting or when on duty in full uniform. Colorado is a shall issue state where only a few large metropolitan areas consistently slow or deny a concealed permit. But as a deputy, when approaching a citizen with an openly carried firearm, I have a responsibility to the citizens of my community and my family to go home safe at the end of my shift. If civilians carry in case of the improbable 1% of the SHTF incident, then how else but in a cautious manner by getting ahead of the decision loop would you have LE respond to the situation? I'm always ready to apologize if my actions seem extreme but reality demands I prepare for that improbable 1% situation. And like any other occupation, there are those who's reasons for taking this type of employment is for its abusive oppertunities. But I sincerly believe we try to weed out these individuals ourselves. Like any responsible citizen carrying concealed, I keep mine in case I meet a former "client" who still disagrees with my interpertation of thier actions. So please cut some slack to the local LE if they approach you, be honest, resist furtive movements, and if all else fails, it can always be settled in civil court.

Just a few comments by an ignorent LEO. Policy dictates most offices & departments as to what, where, and how LE carries off duty. It dictates that the sidearm be concealed in a safe manner so as not to draw attention or create undue emotional reactions. Many rank and file strongly support concealed carry by law abiding citizens. Colorado Sheriff's are taking the new firearm restrictions to court. While I open carry in the back country and the small towns when I stop to eat after a day of hunting or when on duty in full uniform. Colorado is a shall issue state where only a few large metropolitan areas consistently slow or deny a concealed permit. But as a deputy, when approaching a citizen with an openly carried firearm, I have a responsibility to the citizens of my community and my family to go home safe at the end of my shift. If civilians carry in case of the improbable 1% of the SHTF incident, then how else but in a cautious manner by getting ahead of the decision loop would you have LE respond to the situation? I'm always ready to apologize if my actions seem extreme but reality demands I prepare for that improbable 1% situation. And like any other occupation, there are those who's reasons for taking this type of employment is for its abusive oppertunities. But I sincerly believe we try to weed out these individuals ourselves. Like any responsible citizen carrying concealed, I keep mine in case I meet a former "client" who still disagrees with my interpertation of thier actions. So please cut some slack to the local LE if they approach you, be honest, resist furtive movements, and if all else fails, it can always be settled in civil court.

What the hell does this have to do with STARBUCKS?!?

Ten seconds of google searching reveals some people you all should be pissed at. What's the mentality of someone who thinks that Starbucks would appreciate you taking a selfie with your gun in their store?:

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

If I was the CEO I would have posted every store in the franchise the day this happened

So you are happy how things turned out. The rally has been labeled in the news as crazies that were put in their place by the company that never supported them in the first place much to the glee of the anti groups. To use a anti gun phrase, common sense said this wasn't a good idea.

But if you would like to explain why this is in our favor, please fill us in.

I'm indifferent, as this is private property, they can do what they want. I'm happy gun owners put up a fight, even if the outcome was going to be the same either way.

Would you of been happier if gun owners didn't do anything, and this letter was sent out two years ago? Could you explain how that would be in our favor? Did you attend any of the Starbucks appreciation days? Was it filled with "crazy gun nuts"?

A few years ago two thug brothers walked into a small coffee shop in my city in the morning. They pulled guns and started pistol wiping everyone, they took cell phones and money also a laptop computer from a young girl. No one was armed so they just had to take the beating and loss's. cops got them later but what did that do to help? If your means anything to one,they will take steps to protect ones life.

What the hell does this have to do with STARBUCKS?!?

It could be just a troll comment...but the phone app has a bug that has pulled other quoted text from threads in didn't sub forums on me before, and posted my response in a completely different forum too...I had to go find it and move it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back