Springfield XD vs. XDM

FFFarmer

I am looking at buying a new compact carry gun, I have pretty much narrowed it down to a Springfield 3.8" Compact 9mm or .40. I am aware of the differences between the XD and XDM, what are your opinions of one versus the other and is the XDM worth the $100 plus more dollars??? Thanks

I like the adjustable grips on my XDm and +1 on the match grade barrel. But on the other hand, there seems to be alot more accessories for the XD.

I have the XDM 9mm compact, I think it was worth the extra $100.00 for $10.00 you can order the Talon grips, WAY worth $10.00 shipped! I went 9mm for low cost shooting and I prefer 9mm, but that wasn't your question. I'd go XDM...If I had it to do over again, I'd have gone the XDM .45 compact, that wasn't available when I got mine but ammo is almost x2 the price.

Just in case you are interested (No I don't own or work there, just a great product and stellar CS)

Link Removed

Good Luck!

Just today I sold an old .45 and bought a XDm 3.8 compact in 9mm. As others have said, I felt the match barrel and all you get with the package was worth it. I am excited to shoot it! I may take a day off work this week just to go to the range with it.

I bought the XDm compact 3.8 chambered for 9x19 last September. I've got a little over 1K rounds through it and I agree with the positive comments 100%. Tack driver right out of the box and well worth the extra bucks. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing!

A few perks of the XDm, over the XD..

- High-cap mags, natively, on the XDm (19 rounds, vs. 16 rounds in the XD)
- minor conveniences (you don't have to pull the trigger to field strip the XDm)

Also considerations...
- Mags are not compatible.
- while the XDs are still being made, they *are* being phased out. the XDm is the direction they're going, across the board.

*shrug* Personal choice, really. With the XDm, the extra coin is in my opinion worth it.. For what it's worth, I had an XD 5" tactical, and sold it as a part of my current set of toys... 2 x XDm 4.5" and an XDm 3.8" compact.

D.

I had an XD-45, and it was, without a doubt, one of the best firearms I have ever handled. I am beginning to get arthritic changes lately, and the recoil of the .45 ACP was beginning to bother me. I now have an XD-40, and really want to get the XD(M). I definitely feel the match barrel and other poinnts are well worth the extra. In point of fact, I found that any holster that hadles any XD will also handle any XD(M), and i have not seen where there are any more accessories for the XD than the XD(M).

I myself am completly satisfied with the XD for punching holes in paper and for carry. So much so I have the XD45C and the 9mmSC. I spent the $$$ I saved on ammo at the range. Which ever way you go is a win and you will be completly happy with your decision.

I was considering the XD-M but settled for the XD am am very satisfied with my subcompact .40. It does what I need it to, puts rounds down range very accurately. Although there is something to be said for a higher capacity mag and adjustable grips. Also the breakdown is too easy and I don't mind pulling the trigger to disassemble. I guess if you want to pay for a matchgrade barrel and a few more bells and whistles more power to ya. I gotta buy another one now because I bought a surefire light for a full size pistol and it doesn't fit my sub and its too cool to send back.

Thank You All for your input, it is much appreciated and I took it ALL into consideration.

I walked into the gun shop the other day and my decision came pretty quickly and very easily. I had finally settled on the .40S&W as the caliber so I was down to XD vs XDM. A SALE tag caught my eye, it was an XD .40S&W sub-compact in the Essentials package. I spent a while comparing the three packages side by each, (XDM, XD, & XD Essentials), the prices were $649, $529, and $429. While I understand and appreciate the upgrades to the XDM I could not quite justify the $220 for a gun that I would be punching paper, cans, and pumkins with as well as carrying concealed. I also did not see the money invested in plastic gear and a nice box that would end up in a closet. I am very happy with this purchase and can't wait to pull the trigger on it. I am already thinking about a larger frame gun in a .45 and probably will take another serious look at the XDM at that time.

Thanks Again!!!

The main differences are magazine capacity and the adjustable handgrip. I have compared the XD and the XDM and can see no difference in accuracy at 25 yards. The XD 40 has only a 12 round magazine, the XDM holds 16, (1/3 more). I perceive recoil of the 40 S&W to be more harsh than that of the 45 ACP; however recoil is related as much to the firearm used as the pressure of the cartridge. Some 45 ACP shooters claim that the 40 S&W is as close to an over pressure round. In general the 40 S&W generates comparable pressure to 9mm +P ammo. I have seen two 40 S&W damaged by hot handloads, (one Glock and one XDM), and many handloaders steer clear of the 40 S&W for that reason. I reload for both 9mm and 40 S&W. My handloads are on the conservative side, My carry ammo is premium factory ammo only.

Spend the money and get The XDm 45 when your ready its well worth it. I just got the 45 compact and cant beleive how well it shoots. I really think it has less felt recoil than my kel-tec p11.

XD-9, first none glock plastic weapon I'v had, shoots well, I think its a bit more accurate than the glocks, and now with 400+ rds through it, seems to be as dependale as the glocks????????????????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
playmatka
Back