South Carolina COP charged with murder

Imagine if there was no video. He would have claimed that the dead guy was beating him with his back and his "razor sharp shoulder blades" when he shot him.

But the murder charge might not stick if SC law allows a police officer to shoot a fleeing person who committed a crime in view of the officer.

If the victim was stopped for a brake light, why was he out of the car? Did the cop order him out? What went on during that interaction? I could see a possibility if that is what transpired, that the behavior of the cop could have been enough to prompt running from the scene. We will probably never know just what transpired during the traffic stop. But I can understand a black stopped by a white cop in that manner for a trivial reason, had reason to be fearful.

In our imagined world The "public politically correct one", not the real one we live in, a traffic stop for a faulty brake light should be a friendly (your light is out, get it fixed), or at most a warning. A ticket for more than a warning, would be excessive. How many people can see or notice that their own brake light bulb is out (yes I know some cars tell you).

I believe the ongoing militarization of police has to be a factor in some of the police behavior we have been seeing. Not to mention some pretty much unconstrained "police" flavors that have come into being nationally. It creates the kind of attitude held by groups such as the Gestapo, KGB, (fill in your favorite political police). The police will have more psychological tendency to create a "protected from punishment police - and THEM". And THEM deserve anything I choose to give them because they may have disagreed with what I want. Not something legally required; just what I have decided is necessary. We should coin some new catch phrases like "Never bring a handkerchief to a tank, armed and armored police, with automatic weapons, fight". That seems to be an an increasingly common circumstance.

"I can tell you that as the result of that video and the bad decision made by our officer, he will be charged with murder," North Charleston Mayor Keith Summey told reporters Tuesday. "When you're wrong, you're wrong."

South Carolina police officer charged with murder - CNN.com

I will be amazed if this cop is convicted of anything more than excessive force, if that even. Consider Johannes Mehserle, the murdering cop who killed Oscar Grant in Oakland, CA several years ago. Mehserle was charged with first degree murder, convicted of involuntary manslaughter, sentenced to two years (!!!), but was out in less than 1 year. I know it's two different coasts, two different situations, two different cities and two different cultural norms for the respective areas, but it's the same "justice" system when it comes to cops. There were multiple videos of Grant's killing, shot in the back while handcuffed laying face down on the concrete. Mehserle just "mistook" his service weapon for his taser according to his defense strategy, which in and of itself would've been excessive force to deploy since Grant was already in custody. Juries are as blinded by that badge as much as cops are brainwashed into believing that The People would still be their enemy even if they acted like human beings towards us.

I'm going to try to keep up with this story. Any gentleman's bets on this cop getting more than Mehserle did (2 years)? I say no way. What say you?

Blues

Howdy,

I will be amazed if this cop is convicted of anything more than excessive force, if that even. Consider Johannes Mehserle, the murdering cop who killed Oscar Grant in Oakland, CA several years ago. Mehserle was charged with first degree murder, convicted of involuntary manslaughter, sentenced to two years (!!!), but was out in less than 1 year. I know it's two different coasts, two different situations, two different cities and two different cultural norms for the respective areas, but it's the same "justice" system when it comes to cops. There were multiple videos of Grant's killing, shot in the back while handcuffed laying face down on the concrete. Mehserle just "mistook" his service weapon for his taser according to his defense strategy, which in and of itself would've been excessive force to deploy since Grant was already in custody. Juries are as blinded by that badge as much as cops are brainwashed into believing that The People would still be their enemy even if they acted like human beings towards us.

I'm going to try to keep up with this story. Any gentleman's bets on this cop getting more than Mehserle did (2 years)? I say no way. What say you?

Blues

I'm going to disagree.

Why?

Simple. As a result of recent shootings by cops ( heck, I'll throw in wannabe cops and add the Zimmerman/Martin incident. ) especially white cops shooting unarmed black men and the public outcry ( Remember Ferguson? ) that the cop in SC will get more than a slap on the wrist.

Someone posted about a cop being able to shoot a fleeing suspect in the back "if" the cop saw him committing a crime? What crime could the victim have committed in this incident?

The officer "claimed" the victim/suspect was grabbing his taser but in the video you can see the cop drawing his taser from his duty rig and tossing it on the ground by the body.

I seriously doubt the cop will get the electric chair or whatever SC uses but he'll get more than a slap on the wrist.

Paul

1. Topic already here: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/leo-...se-i-feared-my-life-he-ran-me.html#post570061
2. Here's a pretty good report: Link Removed
3. Walter Scott had an arrest warrant from family court for failure to pay child support, my conjecture would be that is why he ran from the vehicle when stopped.
4. I don't think the video shows the cop removing something from his duty belt to plant it next to the body. I think that was the handcuffs. The cop then walk backs to the initial scene and picks something up off the ground.
5. When Walter Scott initially runs from the cop in the video, you can clearly see the wires from the Taser stretching out - it sure looks like the cop had the Taser in his possession at that time.
6. The report filed by the cops claimed they performed CPR - but clearly no CPR was performed in the video.

South Carolina laws coming up next....

Blues

With all the police getting away with shooting unarmed victims lately, the country is locked and loaded for an LEO conviction. I think this is the closest yet for a "You are not getting away this time!". It is going to be interesting to watch.

Code of Laws - Title 16 - Chapter 9 - Offenses Against Public Justice

SECTION 16-9-320. Opposing or resisting law enforcement officer serving process; assaulting officer engaged in serving process.

(A) It is unlawful for a person knowingly and wilfully to oppose or resist a law enforcement officer in serving, executing, or attempting to serve or execute a legal writ or process or to resist an arrest being made by one whom the person knows or reasonably should know is a law enforcement officer, whether under process or not. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than five hundred dollars nor more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

(B) It is unlawful for a person to knowingly and wilfully assault, beat, or wound a law enforcement officer engaged in serving, executing, or attempting to serve or execute a legal writ or process or to assault, beat, or wound an officer when the person is resisting an arrest being made by one whom the person knows or reasonably should know is a law enforcement officer, whether under process or not. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars nor more than ten thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.

In the video, I do not see (B) above happening. I see (A) above happening, which is a misdemeanor.

South Carolina has no codified law concerning use of deadly force by police officer, therefore common law prevails:
FindLaw | Cases and Codes

The remaining States either have no relevant statute or case law, or have positions that are unclear. 20 [471 U.S. 1, 18]

[ Footnote 20 ] These are Maryland, Montana, South Carolina, and Wyoming. A Maryland appellate court has indicated, however, that deadly force may not be used against a felon who "was in the process of fleeing and, at the [471 U.S. 1, 18] time, presented no immediate danger to . . . anyone . . . ." Giant Food, Inc. v. Scherry, 51 Md. App. 586, 589, 596, 444 A. 2d 483, 486, 489 (1982).

So....first was Walter Scott even a felon? It would appear not. Even if he was a felon, did he present an immediate danger to anyone? Doesn't appear so.

I personally know Scarlett Wilson, Charleston and Berkeley county Ninth Judicial Circuit Solicitor. Between her and SLED, they will prosecute to the fullest extent of the Law. She doesn't play. Damm good Solicitor.

The problem for the police in that community is that this officer's obvious lie about the incident and apparent attempt to tamper with the evidence at the scene leaves in question all aspects of the incident - anything is possible - maybe the cop was trying to shake down the victim, then told him if he didn't pay he would tase him, at which point the victim ran for his life...what we do know is that we can't trust the officer's version.

and what about all his previous arrests? How many people did he arrest then plant drugs or make other false accusations? It isn't just about his mistake in shooting the victim, it goes to all of his conduct after the shooting.

This should make you vomit.....
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/michael-t-slager-support-fund#home

We're campaigning to show our Support for Officer Michael T. Slager! We believe in all of our LEOs and want to publicly support them! Although he may have made mis-steps in judgement he was protecting the community. Michael is a former Coast Guardsman with two stepchildren and a wife who is expecting a child, served for more than five years with the department without being disciplined. Please help in any way you can. He has served five years with the department without being disciplined.

:barf:

Howdy,

Innocent til proven guilty. Its the way our justice system works, must let it work.

Very true.

But after watching the crappy cell phone video several times I'm going to cast a "guilty" vote.

With that situation, if the cop was in fear for his life he doesn't need to be a cop. He should try working at McDonald's.

Paul

P.S. But not the drive-thru window, I don't want him to "f-up" my order.

1. Topic already here: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/leo-...se-i-feared-my-life-he-ran-me.html#post570061
2. Here's a pretty good report: Link Removed
3. Walter Scott had an arrest warrant from family court for failure to pay child support, my conjecture would be that is why he ran from the vehicle when stopped.
4. I don't think the video shows the cop removing something from his duty belt to plant it next to the body. I think that was the handcuffs. The cop then walk backs to the initial scene and picks something up off the ground.
5. When Walter Scott initially runs from the cop in the video, you can clearly see the wires from the Taser stretching out - it sure looks like the cop had the Taser in his possession at that time.
6. The report filed by the cops claimed they performed CPR - but clearly no CPR was performed in the video.

South Carolina laws coming up next....

Waiting on the dashcam video from the cop's car to be put up. And Navy, he tampered with evidence ( location of the Taser ) so the officer committed a felony in that alone. That is what is covered by your #4. He walked back, picked up the Taser and then put it down near the body. No CPR was attempted until the third officer arrived on scene just before the EMS people. That covers your #6.

5 shots hit the body out of 8. Got to admit, he was a better shot than many cops. And the firing of 8 shots will come up if the prosecutor isn't swayed by the police. I think it is going to end up hinging on whether the defense puts up the assault as being a felony and can prove it. Which it really shouldn't be as the victim had not been charged and convicted for that yet nor was he an immediate risk to the community. My guess is it will end up as a manslaughter case by the time it gets either plea bargained or to a jury.

If the defense can cast "reasonable doubt" Slager will go free and sue the city for wrongful termination.

Ain't never gonna happen. The VERY best he can hope for is Voluntary Manslaughter. He will go away for a very looooong time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back