Soon to be handgun owner. I need advice!

I think I made up my mind. I was able to track down an old teacher that I knew had quite the collection of handguns and he was more than willing to go to the range with me to try several models out. I've decided to go with a Smith & Wesson SD40VE. I decided to go with a .40 over a 9mm mainly because I like the punch it delivers. The Sigma felt great in my hand and is a clean looking firearm. I can also pick it up for $320 before tax in my area so I have more than plenty of money left over to put into my rounds and other things I'll want to purchase; along with the $100 fee to get my conceal carry permit. Also, after researching this model further I've found there to be next to no complaints with it.

You're getting good info, and it'll continue. Respectfully to all, it's now YOUR turn to weed through all the possibilities.

My thoughts are:

1. Visit some gun shows, and go down the tables, especially at the dealers. Pick up everything that looks interesting, and see how it fits your hand. With respect to Glock owners, Glocks don't fit MY hand (I've had two).
2. If you know people with pistols, I'll bet most would be happy to let you try them out. That's a BIG deal, so ask them.
3. One of the other responders rightly spoke to the question of what you intend to do with the gun. I have mine (plural) for concealed-carry. Yes I shoot targets at the range, but shooting at the range isn't my main goal.
4. Since my main reason is for protection outside the home, I don't carry either a light caliber or a small gun. A 9 mm is my lowest acceptable caliber. Yep, lotsa people carry .380s, and love 'em. Good for them, but .380s have a major failing to me in that they (and most of the other small pocket pistols) are simply too small for my hand --- I simply can't hold them on target.
5. My two main carry pistols are a .40 cal Beretta 9000, but more of the time it's a .40 cal .40 cal Baby Eagle. I bought the Beretta from a friend, and got the Baby Eagle in a pawn shop

In the past I have taken friends and family out prior to them buying. The last shot my 1911’s, Glock (22-40 SW) and my wife’s Lady Smith K frame. He liked the 1911s however he also had a money issue. He bought a Ruger 9 and loves it. He saved his money and now reloads the 9 mm. I like my “Plastic Guns” and the 15 round mags. The Glock, in my opinion, is an acquired taste with a long trigger pull. 1911s well, I think the price is out of your range, at this time. It has been said to buy as much gun as you can afford because your life may depend on it. As to the clip error, I too, at times have to correct friends and family.

I think I made up my mind. I was able to track down an old teacher that I knew had quite the collection of handguns and he was more than willing to go to the range with me to try several models out. I've decided to go with a Smith & Wesson SD40VE. I decided to go with a .40 over a 9mm mainly because I like the punch it delivers. The Sigma felt great in my hand and is a clean looking firearm. I can also pick it up for $320 before tax in my area so I have more than plenty of money left over to put into my rounds and other things I'll want to purchase; along with the $100 fee to get my conceal carry permit. Also, after researching this model further I've found there to be next to no complaints with it.

Oh, don't forget to let us know what you buy and how you like it maybe even with a photo of the final targets.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHink View Post

Very good choice, Luke. Good brand, good price, Lotsa satisfaction in store. Welcome.....

Now, to add to the excitement, you have the pleasure of deciding what kind of holster you want to use.

The fun is only beginning.....

Some people say the Glock 19 is the best all-round handgun in the world. Good for carry, home defense, you name it. Retails for about $500 (gen 3) or $530 (gen 4).

Really don't like Glocks! Not because they are a bad gun but they don't fit my grip. I much prefer a CZ 75. That is the beauty of having so many on the market.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using USA Carry mobile app

Really wanted a Glock 20 as I am a huge 10mm fan! however, tried the grip fit at a nearby gun show and my hands are just too small. Went will a Parker 1911 in 10mm made in Thermopolis Wyoming by a manufacturer who is now out of business. But, because I built their holsters for them when I lived ther, I can do my own smithing on it. It's heavy, not pretty, holds 8 in the mag and one in the pipe and is absolutely dead on. Definitnitely not a recommendation but if anyone knows of anyone who has one of these in a different caliber, would love to hear about it. Thanks

If you can't rent a pistol to try it out, at least visit a gun shop that carries several different makes and models. The way a pistol feels in your hand is one indicator. How it feels when you shoot it, is another indicator. Past that, until you have the experience with shooting, you won't really know which make or model you feel most comfortable with. Understand that the smaller frame pistols may have a sharper recoil, as will lighter frame pistols.

Then comes, as stated above, choice of caliber. The 10mm, .40 and .45 caliber pistols are the big boys in the band. The .380 ACP is perhaps the smallest caliber to consider if you are looking for a personal defense handgun. 9mm is the popular choice. Don't limit yourself to here. Go on to youtube.com and watch the review videos. Find and watch the ones about the models that you find interesting. You will gain some insight there. I recommend watching the reviews of hickok45, he does a lot of them, and does a fairly complete and robust review of the weapons.

$700.00 budget... Remember to allow for ammo and training. Eventuality you'll need to add holster/belt. Handle as many firearms as you can (LGS,Gun shows) come up with a wish list if 3-4 and try to get to shoot them . My first firearm was a Ruger SR40C. I spent $400.00 on it by the time I got my CHL with ammo holster and training I was slightly over $1000.00 after four months.

Sent from my SM-G900T using USA Carry mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back