So Cops Are The Bad Guys, Huh?

Oldgrunt

I am still not convinced that all LEOs are the bad guys they are made out to be.

Troopers take pity on 87-year-old they pulled over; drive her 350 miles to see sick son

December 9, 2014 by Joe Saunders

An 87-year-old Nevada woman speeding across Utah to see her gravely ill son had an accident that might have changed her life.

Pulled over by a state trooper for speeding on Interstate 15, Helen “Skeeter” Smith would have gotten away with a warning except for a big mistake: backing into the trooper’s patrol car instead of pulling out onto the highway.

Utah Trooper Jeff Jones, who knew why Smith was traveling, realized she was in no condition to drive herself, and resolved to do something about it, according to KUTV, a CBS station in Salt Lake City.

After securing her vehicle, he drove Smith himself in his patrol vehicle to the county line, where he turned her over to another trooper, the second of four troopers who would take Smith from the pullover site to Ogden Regional Medical Center in Ogden.

There, she got to see her son, KUTV reported.

“To hold her hand walking into the hospital was very, very rewarding,” Trooper Andrew Pollard told the station.

Rewarding, and she made it in time. Smith’s son is still gravely ill, but is able to communicate with his mother.

And Smith is grateful for the help, which she views with the perspective – and wit – that blesses some who are advanced in age.

“I ended up taking four patrol cars,” she said. “Four good-lookin’ patrol boys brought me.”

Read more: Troopers take pity on 87-year-old they pulled over; drive her 350 miles to see sick son - BizPac Review

The main stream media has vilified LEOs over a few 'good shoots' they aren't, and never were, the bad guys.

They're only the bad guys to thugs and thieves that don't want to be arrested for robbing, stealing and otherwise breaking the law.

I am still not convinced that all LEOs are the bad guys they are made out to be.
you can dig up all the good guy stories you care to but the fact remains that there are a lot of bad/abusive cops out there, you'll know it when you run into one

Like any other segment of any society, there are good and bad actors. When you encounter a "good" LEO you can't find a better ally. But when you encounter a bad LEO you can't find a worse nightmare because he has a badge and "the law is on his side" which makes it very hard to counter against a bad actor. Sure, some bad encounters can be chalked up to "bad attitude" on the civilian's side, but that's not unusual. What is unusual, so far, is a power hungry officer that is
naturally abusive. These personality types should NEVER be put into a position of authority of any type be it policeman, prison guard, prison warden, etc.
These days one can not be too careful, but the best thing to do is try your best to keep away from any LEO encounter if at all possible thereby eliminating the probability of an encounter with them. Simply OBEY THE LAW.
The one thing in common with so many situations like the Michael Brown and Eric Garner situations stem from one thing and one thing only --- they were breaking the law. Had they not been breaking the law, they would have not ended up like they did. Lesson learned --hopefully.

So if we post a thousand non-LEO related good Samaritan videos does that mean all of the general public are good people and we can stop carrying our guns altogether?

As long as we're using anecdotes to prove the goodness of people of whom we know nothing more about them than the anecdote itself, let's help improve the image of a few other much-maligned groups. Ready? OK....

Hells Angels Buy Every Bike From One Walmart, Donate Them To Charity

Terrifying outlaw biker gang makes itself ISIS’ new enemy (This link just happens to be from the same site as the OP link, for whatever that's worth.)

So biker gangs are the bad guys, huh?

"Gentleman Thief" Teaches How to Avoid Pickpockets (video)

So pickpockets are the bad guys, huh?

Ex-Convict Saves Baby Before It Crawls Onto Highway

So convicted bad guys are the bad guys, huh?

LOL

Blues

LEO'S acting badly does bother me. The officer who tazed the 76 year old man in Victoria over an inspection sticker (he had dealer plates and is exempt from a sticker). That police department will probably settle out of court. There are dummies everywhere. And some people should not be cops. What's happening in STL and NYC is just anarchy unfolding. I believe they grabbed into this situation to promote a RACE WAR and possibly MARTIAL LAW and eventually a National Police Force as per our POTUS'S speech back in 2008

Cops are not the bad guys. Those who think they are, are being used to try to set up a National Police Force controlled by the Left.

If nothing else some responses in this thread proves that "haters gonna hate"

The vast majority of the general public that I pass every day are good people who would never commit a violent crime against me. But I still carry a gun. It's probably true that the vast majority of the general public that everyone on this forum passes every day are good people who would never commit a violent crime against any member of this forum, yet the majority of discussion in this forum is about being prepared to defend ourselves against the criminal. It's just plain stupid to think that all of the general public is good just because the vast majority are. Nobody seems to have a problem with that.

The vast majority of police officers are good people. It's just plain stupid to think or claim that all police officers are good people. Why is it we can talk about protecting ourselves all day long from Joe Public criminal and that is good but as soon as we start talking about protecting ourselves from bad cops we are called cop haters?

On top on that - I would rather be the victim of Joe Public criminal than be the victim of a bad cop. If I am the victim of a bad cop I not only have to fight against the perpetrator but I also have to fight against all his/her brethren/sisters in blue standing behind them and fight against a legal and justice system that is stacked very much in the cop's favor.

So go ahead and call me a cop hater, I don't care - I will continue to exercise all of my rights when I have an encounter with a police officer to protect myself in the rare event that I have encountered one of the small minority of police officers who are bad just like I will continue to carry my gun to protect myself in the rare event that I encounter one of the small percentage of Joe Public who will commit a violent crime against me or my family.

Antisocial Personality Disorder (sociopathic behavior) can be very hard to spot. I found the DSM IV-TR gives the prevalence of psychopathy as 3% in males and 1% in females. These are people who lack sympathy, empathy, exhibits bravado, lying and cheating to achieve immediate gratification. He's not just on a power trip, he gets a feeling of satisfaction from mean behaviors. He lies, he tells the truth, he mixes lies with the truth. ANYONE could be a sociopath. So if the statistic is correct and you go to the mall today, 3% of men and 1% of women could be disturbed. And it could be anyone. They look and act mostly normal. Even charming.

There is an old saying that, "One bad apple can spoil the barrel!" I believe the same goes for the police. Perhaps not corrupt the rest of them but the bad cops do change a lot of the public's opinion of all LEOs. I do not know what percentage of cops are really not fit mentally to wear a badge but I do believe and hope it is small. We do not hear about all the good that some LEOs do. That does not make good press. Just like we do not hear about the safe landings of airplanes. We only hear about the ones that crash. (I borrowed that from Rush Limbaugh. I did not want someone to say I am stealing from someone!)

I have said this before, I do not hate cops! I also do not trust them! I had a neighbor that was a cop. He is a complete and total A-hole!!! I lived by him for 20 years and tried to get along with him for 14 of those years. Without going into the details, he proved that he would never get along with me or my family. I then stopped trying to get along with him! So now I do not trust cops until they PROVE they are worthy of my trust and faith!

For all of the cop haters, some of you say that you do not need the cops and you will take care of your family and yourself. But I what will you do if your house is broke into or your car is stolen when you are not around! What are you going to do? I would bet that you call 911 and ask for the hated police!

Last edited:
For all of the cop haters, some of you say that you do not need the cops and you will take care of your family and yourself. But I what will you do if your house is broke into or your car is stolen when you are not around! What are you going to do? I would bet that you call 911 and ask for the hated police!

Assuming I am one of the "haters" to which you refer, first, I would not call 911 for an "emergency" that I only found out about after the thieves/burglars were gone. I believe that in most jurisdictions, calling 911 to report a non-emergency is, in and of itself, a crime.

Second, I would only call the non-emergency line to report a theft or burglary because my insurance won't pay without a police report.

Third, I had a very similar thing happen to me personally. Had a fire in my home, stored what might've been able to be salvaged in the unattached garage, the garage got burglarized while no one was living in the home during the rebuild, reported it to cops, they took a report and I never heard from them again. A couple of months after the burglary someone used a gas credit card that I'd never used to buy tires for two cars and have a head-gasket replaced on one of 'em. Called the cop-shop, forwarded everything I knew at the time about it to them, didn't hear squat, so I started investigating that lead a little on my own. Turns out the idiot kid with the credit card didn't even know enough to forge my name, and used his own real name on the ticket. Also turned out that there was security camera footage of him and his friend-girl with perfect captures of their faces standing at the cash register as they paid the bill with my credit card. None of those leads were enough to get the cops off their lazy fat asses to actually try to track my stuff down, and if I had gone to that kids' address and tried myself to see how he got my card, I would be arrested according to the lazy fat ass detective assigned to my case. That was in Long Beach, CA in 1985. And come to think of it, I had another burglary in Long Beach in another house maybe three or so years before that. I had a couple of good reasons to suspect that it was my next door neighbor, I told the cops that, and they ignored it. Never even approached him to ask if he'd seen anything suspicious, and I never got any of my stuff back, including a Les Paul and an Ovation Legend guitar that my ex-wife had bought me just a month or so before the burglary.

So no, for property loss I would never call the cops with the expectation of ever getting my stuff back, and the only reason I'd call 'em at all is to fulfill my obligations under my insurance policies.

Still, I don't hate cops, but rather, just exactly like you say vern, I don't trust them. But I'm sure that you didn't have me in mind at all when you addressed your remarks to "all of the cop haters," right? Riiiiiiight.

Blues

Sooo the rebuttal was back in the late sixties, early seventies. If ya need PIG, call a hippy. This is nothing more then anarchists fueling the fire with a few bad moments that's questionable.
I just have a problem with some on this site that think LEO's are consistently the BG's. REALLY................ My sister retired from Orlando PD. While I know her limitations and out look. I was never her back up or fellow LEO. Most spoke highly of her when I tried to name drop when I lived in the area. (Another story).
It's been prior that ALL professions will have that 10% that go amuck. Unfortunate but ya can't get around it. At least not without intense, continual screening. I worked HE Det ordinance. I'll leave it at that. DOD could pay for the constant screening, PD's cannot afford the same.

Sooo the rebuttal was back in the late sixties, early seventies.

If this is in any way in reply to my post just above it, umm...no, it was in 1985 just like I said.

Even so, pick a decade prior to the turn of the century, and if you can honestly say that policing has gotten better or closer to comporting with founding principles, please do assert that so I can have a huge day-after-Christmas gut-bustin' guffaw!

If ya need PIG, call a hippy.

Ahh ha! So you are a hippy-hater, huh? Those tie-dye-wearin' punks who abhor violence and flip you the peace sign at the drop of a hat must really piss you off. I guess I can understand that......NOT!

This is nothing more then anarchists fueling the fire with a few bad moments that's questionable.

To which "anarchists" do you refer, and what do you find questionable about the "few bad moments" they (or I?) may have recounted?

I just have a problem with some on this site that think LEO's are consistently the BG's.

And I have a problem with blind sheep who can never criticize a cop even when they kill people, or when the criticism against the cop is so mild while the hate-mongering towards the unarmed, and sometimes, innocent citizen goes on for pages and pages with only a handful of us counter-balancing the badgefluffing.

REALLY................

Yes, REALLY.

My sister retired from Orlando PD.

My sister was an administrative secretary during her relatively short working life. She could type like 80 WPM, but I still wouldn't have trusted her to type up my will or real estate deals. She had an axe to grind against me (she was certifiably insane), so no tellin' what would've ended up in such important documents. Experience tells me that cops display similar irrational axes to grind against the general public, and even if I knew it was your sister contacting me in her official capacity, I wouldn't trust her until after the contact was completed and none of my rights had been violated, and I was still in one piece.

It's been prior that ALL professions will have that 10% that go amuck. Unfortunate but ya can't get around it. At least not without intense, continual screening.

I never saw a single Steelworker go amok. Never even heard of one that did. Even if it was greater than 1% that do, guess what? Their co-workers won't cover for them if they beat someone on the job-site within an inch of their life. Nobody in the Union Hall will spend tens of thousands of dollars defending their amok behavior. Judges and prosecutors won't do everything they can to minimize whatever charges come out of the "Steelworker that ran amok" case at trial to protect them from suffering the same consequences for the same crimes that the people they arrest do and will. Oh, and guess what else? Steelworkers are heavily screened for everything from illicit drug use to depression to credit investigations to criminal history etc. etc. because the nation's safety and security depends (in part) on them doing their jobs right.

I worked HE Det ordinance. I'll leave it at that. DOD could pay for the constant screening, PD's cannot afford the same.

Sure, but PD's can afford all the settlements and court-ordered judgments that come out of their running amok, because that's paid with other people's money. Can't "afford" to do the right thing? Pffft. Get real.

Blues

Why is it acceptable, to some here, for police to treat citizens as if they are guilty until proven innocent, but not acceptable for Joe Citizen to treat police as if they are guilty until proven innocent?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back