Smallest modern 9mm automatic?

Thehandyman

Hi,

So I am in the market for a small, modern, reliable 9mm auto. I understand the recoil is heavier. I am looking for a small, or the smallest single stack 9mm I can get.

I googled and found this list of 21 concealable 9mm. By weight, height, length looks like Kel Tec P3AT is the smallest:

Link Removed

Kel Tec P3AT is a .380 ACP, not 9 mm. Check out the Kahr CM9, it's a small, wonderful pocket or IWB pistol that holds 6+1, has a wonderful trigger and is very reliable.

Interesting - don't know why the guy put the 3AT in the list - at bottom it says he put it n so could compare the 9mm subcompacts with smaller siblings - i guess that's the reason.
Just looking @ the list I like the KelTec P-11, but only because it has 11 round capacity for only slightly larger size than some of the others. I'd have to read some reviews tho, don't own one. I'm in the market for smaller pistol too, so looking.

Interesting - don't know why the guy put the 3AT in the list - at bottom it says he put it n so could compare the 9mm subcompacts with smaller siblings - i guess that's the reason.
Just looking @ the list I like the KelTec P-11, but only because it has 11 round capacity for only slightly larger size than some of the others. I'd have to read some reviews tho, don't own one. I'm in the market for smaller pistol too, so looking.

The P-11 is a double stack magazine design. The Kel-Tec PF9 is their single stack offering. 7+1, 17 ounces, kinda big for pants-pocket carry, but mine fits well in a soft-shell jacket pocket that I wear often in cooler weather. It's not a "fun gun." You would not enjoy shooting it most likely. Trigger sucks out loud. Grip is pretty good for such a small, light pistol. Function on mine has been good+, not quite flawless. Early FTF's, but KT warns that there's a break-in period before their weapons run smoothly. Would never count on the PF9 for a primary weapon, but do throw it in the jacket pocket for a BUG, or when just walking the dog around the neighborhood or a quick run to get gas or something. It also fits well in most center consoles and/or glove compartments.

Blues

The Diamondback DB9 has to be one of the smallest:

Length: 5.60”Height: 4.00”
Width: 0.80”
Barrel Length: 3.00”
Distance Between Sights: 4.25”
Weight (unloaded): 11 oz
Trigger Pull: ≈5.5#
Magazine Capacity: 6+1 Rds

I got a 16+1 S&W SD9VE a month ago that's fun to shoot. And it's actually not very hard to conceal. My next gun will probably be a smaller one that's easier to conceal - maybe a S&W MP Shield,j and I just noticed the KelTec's on the list. I don't want a super small pocket pistol - not yet anyway - but one kind of between a pocket and full size.

We have a big gun show near the end of August, so I'm doing some research now on some guns to look for there at a good price. I know smaller means more kick, but have to give up something to get something I guess.

I'm pretty sure Rorhbaugh ( I totally spolled that wrong) makes a small 9mm but you're going to pay for it.

product-gun-r9standard.png
Without a doubt, this is what you asked
for!

The Products - R9 series | Rohrbaugh Firearms

When this was first posted the picture was here and clearly visible. What's up with that?

Link Removed

Thank you for the replies.

I am thinking about the Sig Sauer P290, and the Kahr PM9. Any opinions?

Watching a video on a comparison, the Kahr has a tiny bit of steel for the slide rails, and the rest of the rails are polymer... Leaning towards the Sig...

Ruger just introduced a new-n-improved version of the LC9....the LC9s. It's now striker-fired vs hammer-fired, which gives it a much smoother trigger. I have a regular LC9 and it's sufficient, but this new LC9s should be 1000% better.

Ruger® LC9s? Centerfire Pistol Models

I have a friend who works for Ruger (Ruger is just down the street from where I live) who was firing test rounds through a (40 cal I think?) pistol, when he encountered a double charged round. The recoil from the round shattered the cartilage in his wrist, tore tendons in his arm, and generally gave him an injury it's taking more than a year to recover from.

What happened to the gun? It exploded, right? The gun was fine. No bulged barrel, or cracks anywhere. Made me a believer for the Ruger pistols.

However, I am really leaning towards the Sig Sauer P290RS. Any opinions welcome.

Sigs are a bit expensive for me so I don't have any personal experience. A vietnam vet friend tells me Sig's are the pistol of choice for navy seals and are the best pistols in his opinion - even though he prefers revolvers.

I googled 'navy seals pistol of choice' and the link below is what I found. It mentions the Sig 226 is in use by the Federal agents, and numerous law enforcement agencies including the Texas Rangers, Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Michigan State Police and others as well. You're looking at a 290, which isn't a 226 but it's a Sig and made by a top notch company.

Read more: Navy SEALs Weapons & Gear | SOFREP

To me a carry gun has to be 110% reliable, if its not them I will never carry it, the 290 I had was not, even after coming back from Sig, that's not to say the next may run perfect, but once you have issues with a certain gun, you tend to shy away, I have certainly not shot them all but I can tell you the little weenie 9mms, sting like hell when fired, some worse than others, like I tell everybody, go to a range with a well stocked group of rentals, and start shooting, just remember, shoot it till it hurts, being what it is the small lite weight 9s generaly don't do well with accurate follow up shots, cause if its being used for a CC gun you and it need to be as good as possible, and take extra care checking out the pistols with a super narrow grip, shield, Kahr, bersa 9cc, nice guns, but the narrow grip makes a little tough to get good groups because of the recoil

A pocket carry size pistol is just a matter of personal taste. Choice of clothing, choice of preference of manufacturer, and of course type (revolver/autoloader).

I am not the Jolly Green Giant, but I have no trouble pocket carrying a Kahr CW40, Ruger SR9c/40c, Glock 27/26, or most any small size snub nose revolver.

I also carry 2 reloads, knife, flashlight, keys, wallet, and cell phone.

It can be done if you dress to accommodate what you want to carry.

Just my not so humble opinion based on my experience and training. Your Mileage May Vary. :victory::dance3:

Thank you for the replies.

I am thinking about the Sig Sauer P290, and the Kahr PM9. Any opinions?

Watching a video on a comparison, the Kahr has a tiny bit of steel for the slide rails, and the rest of the rails are polymer... Leaning towards the Sig...

Then you really don't want what you originally asked for "the smallest 9mm you can get". You mention the Kahr PM9. Check
out the Kahr MK9. All steel. In that gun I think the way to go is the MK9 Elite.

Then you really don't want what you originally asked for "the smallest 9mm you can get". You mention the Kahr PM9. Check
out the Kahr MK9. All steel. In that gun I think the way to go is the MK9 Elite.

I have a Glock 21 that I am so used to mistreating and it never jamming, I used to own a Llama Max 1 C/F that was a great gun, but run that steel gun out of lube and it jams every round. Ever since then I try to go with polymer framed pistols, because you never know what will happen long term.

Howdy,

I have a Kel-Tek PF-9 9mm and it's a great pocket gun.

I'm not a fan of pocket carry but I have carried it that way a couple of times, both pants and jacket.

It small, lightweight, and very flat which makes it easy to conceal.

Pocket carry: no matter how small your handgun is, unless you have HUGE pockets or are wearing something to covers your pocket you will clearly be able to see that you have a handgun in your pocket.

On a different note: people are clueless and would t notice if you were carrying a .50BMG ( gun, not the cartridge ) in your pocket.

Paul

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back