Slide Lock Problem

Cooter

Liberty or Death
My Glock 36 has developed a problem. Suddenly, the slide locks back everytime, whether it's being cycled by hand, fired, ammo in the mag or empty. The slide releases just fine, but just locks everytime it goes back.

Coincidentally, my friend just bought a Tokarev TT-33 at a gun show, never fired, and it came with the same problem, except it only locks back when it's being fired. You can cycle ammo through it by hand with no problem, but the slide locks after every single shot.

What can be causing these problems?

My Glock 36 has developed a problem. Suddenly, the slide locks back everytime, whether it's being cycled by hand, fired, ammo in the mag or empty. The slide releases just fine, but just locks everytime it goes back.

Coincidentally, my friend just bought a Tokarev TT-33 at a gun show, never fired, and it came with the same problem, except it only locks back when it's being fired. You can cycle ammo through it by hand with no problem, but the slide locks after every single shot.

Most common cause of the problem you describe with the Glock is the slide stop lever was installed improperly. If the pistol was broken down further than the user manual advised (the one that came with the pistol), it needs to be reassembled in a specific order. The Armorer's Manual would have the instructions for the correct procedure. I recommend that you take the gun to a Glock Armorer to have the pistol checked out. Another possible cause (though less likely) would be a defective/worn slide stop lever.

as for the Tokarev, I'm not familiar with that pistol, so can't help you with that one. Good luck in finding a solution.

gf

I always test the function after I disassemble my handgun, especially down that far. It worked fine immediately after I last disassembled it. Every night, I unchamber it and set it on my nightstand, then in the morning, I rechamber a round to CC it. Perhaps the slide lock has prematurely worn out from excessive use. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll get a professional to check it out.

I always test the function after I disassemble my handgun, especially down that far. It worked fine immediately after I last disassembled it. Every night, I unchamber it and set it on my nightstand, then in the morning, I rechamber a round to CC it. Perhaps the slide lock has prematurely worn out from excessive use. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll get a professional to check it out.

When you remove the slide does the slide stop lever sit level on the frame, where it would spring back down when pushed upwards, or does it kind of stick up from the frame?

If the slide stop lever is exhibiting "upward tension", then that would be your problem, and it would have to be reinstalled properly. Most likely cause would be improper reassembly after you took it apart the last time.

g23slidestopspringposition.jpg

You should see the spring below the lock block pin (circled in red). If the spring is not visible just below the pin, that might be the cause of your problem.

Hope this helps.

gf

Last edited:
Thanks so much!

Had the same problem due to my being an arrogant know-it-all. ;) With your pic, was able to fix the problem in a minute. Have a great day!

K

Why on earth would you unload your weapon when you go nighty- night? Please tell me you have a cruiser ready shotgun available! Also - are you checking the rounds you rechamber? Make sure there is no bullet setback.

Was having this problem, didn't have a clue. Can you describe how to fix this without going to an armorer?

If the gun was correctly reassembled after a detail strip, the slide stop lever spring is below the locking block pin and pushes the slide stop lever down. If the gun was incorrectly reassembled, the spring is above the locking block pin and pushes the lever up. This can happen when the trigger housing (bottom) pin was put in before the locking block (top) pin.

To fix this, you may have to punch out both pins to remove the slide stop lever. Punch out the trigger housing (bottom) pin first. If you can't remove the slide stop lever, punch out the locking block (top) pin. Then remove the slide stop lever and put the locking block (top) pin back in. Now, install the slide stop lever correctly with the spring below the locking block (top) pin and put the trigger housing (bottom) pin back in. Pretty simple.

Trade it in on a ruger

Trade it in on a ruger

FYI: The OP was from December 7, 2010, so this issue should be solved by now (one hopes). It was clearly a reassembly error after detail stripping the gun, which is hard to do with a Glock in the first place. The Glock 36 is a 6+1 subcompact chambered in .45 ACP. To my knowledge, Ruger has only the 10+1 full-size SR 45.

Thanks for the information, I was actually able to fix the problem before I saw your reply. The previous explanation and picture greatly helped. Thanks.

thanks for the video. my glock 27 developed this problem at the range today and the video helped me fix it in 2 minutes.

If the gun was correctly reassembled after a detail strip, the slide stop lever spring is below the locking block pin and pushes the slide stop lever down. If the gun was incorrectly reassembled, the spring is above the locking block pin and pushes the lever up. This can happen when the trigger housing (bottom) pin was put in before the locking block (top) pin.

To fix this, you may have to punch out both pins to remove the slide stop lever. Punch out the trigger housing (bottom) pin first. If you can't remove the slide stop lever, punch out the locking block (top) pin. Then remove the slide stop lever and put the locking block (top) pin back in. Now, install the slide stop lever correctly with the spring below the locking block (top) pin and put the trigger housing (bottom) pin back in. Pretty simple.

I realize this is a 7 year old thread, but like the more recent previous posts, I just registered to thank you for the pic and the link to the YT video. My G26 has never been stripped down to a level that involved the trigger or that lock lever/spring. So when it suddenly started locking in the home position, I assumed it had to be the new Lone Wolf threaded barrel, or the PTP Ranger suppressor I installed moments earlier. Alas, it had nothing to do with the suppressor or barrel. That lever spring had somehow worked itself to above the trigger pin.

Thanks to the video, about 30 seconds after sitting at my coffee table, it was fixed.

I bought this G26 new in 2007 - so it is now 10 years old. I have fired no more than 1000 rounds through it in that time, and while it's been cleaned regularly, it's never been disassembled beyond removing the slide, spring, and barrel.

One thing that does concern me is in the video, the Glock armor has to use a punch and hammer to get the pin pushed out. I can literally slide mine back and forth with my fingernail. I've never had it slide out, or even go beyond flush on either side. So I don't understand how the spring could have moved above the pin.

Murphy will have this happen again at the most inopportune time... Hopefully not when lives depend on it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back