Skyy Firearms

Good pistol for what it is...

I own one of the older CPX-1s (When it was still SKYY, one of the first 300). I've fired several hundred rounds through it, without a problem. I noticed some posters stating that their slide doesn't lock back after the last round... I don't know if this is a change in the design in the newer models, but mine locks back.

Trigger pull is heavy, but it is a DAO. The pull is marginally lighter than the Kel-Tec equivalent, and nothing that really daunted me.

A lot of people have complained about the safety for one reason or another... I have not had a problem with it, though it did take a little getting used to (I just drilled with it unloaded before going to the range the first time). I wouldn't recommend modifying the safety at all... If the safety is something you think will bother you, I'd suggest a different firearm.

The mechanisms are stiff out of the box, but I've noticed that out of a lot of new pistols; just needs to be broken in. The crowd I run with calls this "New gun syndrome". It'll break in just fine...

I will admit that it is a little punishing to shoot after awhile, but not as bad as the Kel-Tec. The magazine extension helps a great deal. I don't have a lot of experience with subcompacts, but it seems to me that this would be something inherent to the size vs. caliber of firearm. I've had to grip the CPX-1 a little tighter than I have had to do with, say, my old Beretta.

To any lefty shooters out there... I'm a southpaw myself, and think that it could be a little friendlier for lefthand use (though the same could be said for a lot of pistols on the market). I've noticed that I have to pay attention to the mag release, or I'll accidentally engage it while firing. A little practice took care of that, and I don't really have that problem anymore. But it is something to be aware of.

All in all, I'd say it is a great pistol for what it is/meant to be. I love the fact that it has a Anyone/Anytime/Anywhere warranty, and I've read some great things about their customer service. I definitely prefer this weapon over the Kel-Tec. Is it a Glock, HK, or S&W? Absolutely not... But for what it is, it'll hold its own.

Hope this helped anyone curious about this little pistol that could...

I own one of the older CPX-1s (When it was still SKYY, one of the first 300).
I noticed some posters stating that their slide doesn't lock back after the last round...

Trigger pull is heavy, but it is a DAO.

A lot of people have complained about the safety for one reason or another...

All in all, I'd say it is a great pistol for what it is/meant to be. I love the fact that it has a Anyone/Anytime/Anywhere warranty, and I've read some great things about their customer service. I definitely prefer this weapon over the Kel-Tec. Is it a Glock, HK, or S&W? Absolutely not... But for what it is, it'll hold its own.

Hope this helped anyone curious about this little pistol that could...

I also Own a SKYY, a little later than yours.
I've got over 500 rounds through mine. It is my daily carry.. Like you said, " it is a great pistol for what it is/meant to be". I bang it around carrying it everywhere, and since I live in Florida it get's sweated upon quite a bit.. I carry it on my motorcycle and it's been rained on. The SCCY firearm filled the most items on my criteria, that's why I bought it.. Will my great grandson cherish it, probably not as I'll have carried it thousands of days and will probably have retired it at some point. But for the $$$, it's as close to perfect as is made for a reasonable price.

I've had NO Slide lock issues

I prefer a heavier pull on a DAO pistol. No mistake fires, and with this gun, IF the bullet does not go off, just pull the trigger again. With some guns you have to slide the slide in order to engage the trigger again, not so with this pistol.

The Safety has been an issue on mine and many others. This has been fixed in S/N's above 30,000. If you have an earlier model, You do NOT need to modify the safety, Sccy has done that for you. They have a Safety Improvement & a Safety Elimination kit available. I know they will send the Improvement kit for free to any owner. It Improves the safety significantly.

Sccy's customer service is excellent in most cases. I've read many stories about people contacting Sccy and being very satisfied with their service. I've contacted them a couple of times and they were very nice to deal with and resolved my issues quickly..

Good to see another satisfied owner! It's a great little firearm, though I have to admit it's probably getting bumped to backup/summer gun... It does dishearten me slightly that I still have yet to see any other models from SCCY, and can't help but wonder what the deal is with that.

I have seen those at the local gun show from time to time, but was a little leary about seriously checking one out because it just seemed cheap. It sounds like you two have had some success with yours, so I might give it more of a thought the next time I look at one.:biggrin:

I have seen those at the local gun show from time to time, but was a little leary about seriously checking one out because it just seemed cheap. It sounds like you two have had some success with yours, so I might give it more of a thought the next time I look at one.:biggrin:
Just make sure you get a S/N higher than 30,000 and you should be good. They are in the 40,000's now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back