Single female new to firearms. Needs info :)

For learning how to handle a semi-auto pistol, nothing beats a good .22LR model. For absorbing the recoil, a gun like the Chiappa 1911-22, Kimber 1911ARF, or the Colt 1911-22 all do a good job. Once you learn aim and handling, then you can go up in caliber and see what is comfortable. If you find a gun in .40S&W is too much, don't automatically rule out a 1911 in .45ACP. Size and weight of a gun do make a difference in how they feel when fired so tiny guns with high power rounds do not fit everyone. As Navy said above is one example. For sub compact guns, stick with .380 or 9mm or maybe even a .45ACP. A .40S&W in a sub compact is asking for sore wrists. You also want to consider what you can handle one handed. Target shooting and self defense are two separate worlds as you can always use two hand in target shooting but you may not be able to in a self defense situation.

Examples: I can handle the 1911s in .22LR or .45ACP or S&W 4006 one handed. But I would never attempt to do it with my S&W CS 40. Try out what you think you are interested in at a range and see what best fits your needs.

Amazing all this stuff you know! Thank you for sharing. I'm very excited to learn a whole new world of knowledge.

Glad you're interested. Not really amazing... at one time, none of us knew anything either... we asked.... just as you're doing. Someone helped us, and someday, you'e gonna be answering questions. That's how the pastime grows. Welcome to the party.

Where are you located. Some of us here may know of instructors in the same area. Especially some of our female members that have been through training.

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk

Amazing all this stuff you know! Thank you for sharing. I'm very excited to learn a whole new world of knowledge.

I'm sure everyone here would agree that your very welcome, your doing exactly what you should do (asking because you do not know) yet some time down the road you may be giving advice to another, who's just learning, find yourself a gun store/range that also has handgun instruction that also gives permit class's and don't buy the first gun that's pretty, try several be sure you can operate the gun correctly and that its comfortable and is not painful to shoot, the corneredcat websight can help you out and as far as which caliber to choose I would advise to start with a 9mm in a midsize gun the Glock 19, S&W M&P, Sig all make excellent midsize guns, I say this because the 9mm in a midsize is big enough to get the job done and will still conceal well and will not wack you with recoil

As for semi-automatic pistols, I recommend strongly that you LEARN to shoot with a .22. You may not actually buy it: you may borrow it, or rent it, but it is the best place to start. With a .22, you can learn all the basics of pistol shooting, and comfortably, too. In addition, both the gun and the ammunition are usually the least expensive. I especially recommend, for you, the Ruger SR 22, if you can find it. Ruger's best .22 pistol ever, I believe, and that's saying something. My wife shoots that gun and loves it. Keeps it by the bedside at night and carries it in the car. Some say, load it with CCI Stinger ammo, and it can even serve as a self-defense weapon. Shot placement is paramount, of course, for any caliber, but especially for the smaller calibers. Later, when you are ready, you can move up to larger calibers, such as the 9mm. Then you might look at a Glock 19, for instance. Finally, remember: the key to shooting is practice, practice, practice--at home, in the classroom, and at the range. Be safe, and good luck.

3 Speed Holster Generally used for deep conceal. I wear mine above my beltline at about 2:00 (APPENDIX). It is it's own self contained system. I carry a Ruger SR40C (9+1) and a spare magazine 15 rounds. It is much like a belly band. I have had mine for about 8 months now and i wear it from the time i awake till I go to bed. I also find it very good in a vehicle. I can access my firearm seated and seat belted.

Link RemovedLink RemovedLink Removed

Their are Groups of Women who teach others, just go to a local Gun Range and ask around My wife attends a group that has a Saturday Brunch and Shoot once a month for $ 50.00 a head that includes ammo and firearms along with instruction. She has gained self confidence that can only be gained thru such comradaerie.

Just about any gun club/gun range will offer basic firearms classes for free to the public, usually conducted by law enforcement or certified instructors. I took my daughter to a youth firearms class at my gun club that was free and excellent. Even including firing guns on the range to help take the mystery out of the things they were told not to touch without an adult present.
I would agree. Start with proper instruction rather than just going to a range. You don't want to develop bad habits and you'll be more effective evaluating what gun is best after learning proper grip and stance.
Regarding holsters, I've found a lot of girls have trouble with the standard methods of holster carry. If you're going to conceal then also consider a belly-band or holster pocketbook. The belly-band works well for persons with a slim waistline. My wife carries a Ruger LC9 in a bely band and she has a 25" waist. It hides under a shirt or tight-fitting sweater without printing.

Thanks for the pictures. I am a very active person, as far as running and walking a lot. Do you feel it when moving, and does it move enough to cause complications, or where I would need to readjust often from movement. :)

Thanks.

For learning how to handle a semi-auto pistol, nothing beats a good .22LR model. For absorbing the recoil, a gun like the Chiappa 1911-22, Kimber 1911ARF, or the Colt 1911-22 all do a good job. Once you learn aim and handling, then you can go up in caliber and see what is comfortable. If you find a gun in .40S&W is too much, don't automatically rule out a 1911 in .45ACP. Size and weight of a gun do make a difference in how they feel when fired so tiny guns with high power rounds do not fit everyone. As Navy said above is one example. For sub compact guns, stick with .380 or 9mm or maybe even a .45ACP. A .40S&W in a sub compact is asking for sore wrists. You also want to consider what you can handle one handed. Target shooting and self defense are two separate worlds as you can always use two hand in target shooting but you may not be able to in a self defense situation.

Examples: I can handle the 1911s in .22LR or .45ACP or S&W 4006 one handed. But I would never attempt to do it with my S&W CS 40. Try out what you think you are interested in at a range and see what best fits your needs.

Don't discount training with a .22 revolver either. I learned with one and qualified for my CC permit with one. Easiest shooting guns ever.

I am from Oregon. I am trying to figure out how to update my profile to include all that information. I've been reading about conceal carry courses and different states. I do travel, state to states- am I required to have one for each state I go to- or is there a general understanding of you have it from this state, you're covered type scenario?

I am from Oregon. I am trying to figure out how to update my profile to include all that information. I've been reading about conceal carry courses and different states. I do travel, state to states- am I required to have one for each state I go to- or is there a general understanding of you have it from this state, you're covered type scenario?

Click on "My Profile" at the top of any page, then click on "About Me", then edit anything by clicking on the pencil icon next to it.

At the top of this page click "Concealed Carry Resources" and the first tab is a map where you can tell it what carry permit you have and it will tell you which states honor it. Looking at the Oregon resident permit, for example, you are out of luck if you travel to WA or CA, but can head east to Idaho with no problem. Some people get several states permits if they have to travel a lot. If you go to California or D.C. bring a slingshot...

From the advice I've seen posted, definitely listen to telpinaro and Peggy, because they are both women that know more of what you will go through. Many of the rest of us have general knowledge and experience; and also have wives, daughters etc. that shoot. I have 3 daughters that all shoot, and my oldest (24) is getting a CCW class as a Christmas gift.
-
As far as buying a gun, much will depend on your price range. If you need to be armed sooner rather than later, figure out what you can afford and go from there. Don't forget to factor in the money you will spend on a holster, ammo, range and licensing fees etc.
-
Something else to consider is that Oregon is an open carry state. This map shows that other than CA most of the states around you are as well. If safety is your concern, and open carry is an option based on your work, you can save the licensing fees and waiting times to get a permit and spend that money on the training you need.
-
(Open Carry | OpenCarry.org
-

hannamaedru
Going from state to state. Most states reciprocate conceal carry license but you need to check. Here is a web site and there are others about state laws.

Gun Laws By State

I forgot to mention about you getting started, USA Carry has some great articles. Here are some links with others sites as well.

1. Common Handgun Shooting Problems, Probable Causes, and Possible Solutions - USA Carry

2. Link Removed

3. 20 Websites to Visit if You Want to be a Better Shooter - USA Carry

4. Basic "5 and 50" Practice Drill To Conserve Ammo and Lower Costs - USA Carry

5. How to Cure Common Shooting Mistakes - Handguns

6. Six Lifesaving Gun Drills | Personal Defense World

7. Breath Control While Shooting: 4 Options - USA Carry

Don't discount training with a .22 revolver either. I learned with one and qualified for my CC permit with one. Easiest shooting guns ever.
Nope, I never discount them as that is what almost all instructors use here for CC classes. It was what I had to qualify with also. My problem is that the only .22LR revolver I have is in a presentation case. And has been that way for 41 years. Co-instructor has a regular .22LR revolver so we use his. :biggrin: Then for semi-autos we'll use my Kimber or Chiappa. The Chiappa is good for malfunction training as all it takes is a regular velocity round to make it unhappy. If I decide to get a .22LR revolver for instruction, it likely will be a Heritage Arms Rough Rider. At about 1/4 the cost of my Colt.

Nope, I never discount them as that is what almost all instructors use here for CC classes. It was what I had to qualify with also. My problem is that the only .22LR revolver I have is in a presentation case. And has been that way for 41 years. Co-instructor has a regular .22LR revolver so we use his. :biggrin: Then for semi-autos we'll use my Kimber or Chiappa. The Chiappa is good for malfunction training as all it takes is a regular velocity round to make it unhappy. If I decide to get a .22LR revolver for instruction, it likely will be a Heritage Arms Rough Rider. At about 1/4 the cost of my Colt.

My husband's favorite gun and about the only one he ever shoots is a .22LR revolver, High Standard MFG, stamped THE MARSHALL on the side of the barrel. He shoots rabid skunks with it. I've only shot it once or twice, but it's a really nice shooting gun. Something that would be easy to learn with.

Thanks for the pictures. I am a very active person, as far as running and walking a lot. Do you feel it when moving, and does it move enough to cause complications, or where I would need to readjust often from movement. :)

Thanks.

There are many different carry methods, and the ladies have some options that men do not. Like when when you started carrying a purse, carrying a firearm takes some getting used to, but it's nothing difficult, just different. Get some training, to enable you to appropriately choose a firearm, then talk to some ladies, then check your local gun shop for holsters... most have a box full of used ones you can try on....

I'm not going to go into the whole home defense/ primary carry gun thing. It's been beat to death. I am going to make one recommendation for an adjunct firearm. Check out the North American Arms Guardian in .32 ACP. I can hear the eyes rolling now but here's the facts.
.32 ACP isn't a powerhouse but with decent shot placement it will get the job done. The NAA Guardian in .32 is tiny, you can comfortably carry it about anywhere, the places you can hide it are limited only by your imagination. I carry mine almost all the time as a second gun, and sometimes as the only gun when I am going places (the gym) where I just can't manage anything bigger.
only my $.02, your mileage may vary.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back