SHTF battlefield medicine

Anthony_I_Am

Here is a loophole I learned about when I began training as a hard-core Infantry soldier years ago. If you walk into aquarium section of any well stocked pet store and you may be surprised to learn 2 things:

(A) Fish diseases are treated with human antibiotics.
(B) You don't need a prescription to purchase antibiotics for fish.

Most of the formulations are available as liquid gel drops or powders that are difficult for people to take. However one can easily obtain tablets of triple sulfa (a cocktail of 3 broad spectrum sulfa antibiotics) and tetracycline tablets on the websites of pet stores that sell fish and aquarium products. Antibiotics are normally used to treat slime and cottonmouth in your pet fish. It is a bad idea for people to take veterinary medicines but chemically the drugs are the same as what you find in a human pharmacy. Who knows, if the SHTF and you are in a survival situation, it might not be a bad idea to have some tetracycline on hand just in case your pet fish gets the cottonmouth.

Google "fish antibiotics".

There are a lot of similar medicines and compounds

Most of the stuff you can use for mammals applies to humans. That is why the army uses veterinarians as battle field surgeons in the 101st and 82nd ABN units. In a SHTF scenario you will be forced to choose what is available to save a life. Good looking out. You may also want to get a special forces medics handbook. Lot's of good meatball medicine in there as well.

By the way, if you do stock some tetracycline, be sure to note the expiration date and do not treat your fish with it after the expiration date. Tetracycline does turn bad after awhile and could severely damage the kidneys if used after the exp. date.

Fish-Mox is a pet-store version of amoxycillin. I knew an Army Ranger who used it in Iraq to treat an infected molar. Cleared it up in a few days.

Amoxicillin (trihydrate) can be purchased from veterinarians for animal use. Sold in 500mg capsules. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Stored properly it will last well beyond the expiration date. Dosages of 500mg every eight hours are typical for human use.
Proper storage is 59 to 86 degrees F. Medication should be protected from moisture.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back