Shot my first reloads today!

plainshunter

Shot my first reloads today, 38 Spcl (158 gr SWC), off my Lee turret. Shot OK, not totally satisfied with the load yet. I had 2 different loads that I was testing.

I have a couple of questions though, for those using a Lee. I'm not happy with the Auto Disk powder measure. I have yet to get the proper measurement out of it, it's not even close to what the Lee says it will dispense. I got a better measurement from the dipper that came with my die set.

So what's the trick to getting it to work? I was going for a 4.0 grain with Unique and just couldn't seem to get the .43 or .46 to give me 4.0 grains. The dipper did though, that's what I ended up shooting today. I tried wiping the hopper down with a dryer sheet, coating the inside of the disk with pencil lead. I've tapped it while loading, making sure all the powder drops. all the same, seems about anywhere from .2 or .3 to nearly 1 grain less that expected.

Is the Pro Auto Disk better? or forget it and go with the Perfect Powder measure?

First off, congratulations on getting started reloading.

Second, I wouldn't worry about which disk you use, only the amount it drops. If you're going for 4 grains, find what disk drops it and use it.

Third, this is why I suggest everyone, at least eventually, use Dillon reloading equipment. They are the best on the market, bar none, and are absolutely repeatable. The greatest variation I've ever had with my RL550B was 0.3 grains while using IMR 3031, which doesn't measure through anything very consistently due to its cylindrical shape. And that was while dumping 49 grains for .45-70 so it didn't make much difference anyway.

Consistency of movements is key to repeatable loading. Pull the handle with the same speed and force every time and, as you tried, be sure to let the powder drop completly as it doesn't do so instantly.

Good luck!

Thanks cawpin. I wish I could afford a Dillon. It's just not in the cards at the moment. The Lee Turret is the best I could do right now. Hopefully, someday I can upgrade.

you basically are in a shotgun powder charging setup on the auto disc. You want a consistent amount of powder and that comes from consistent packing of powder in the cavity. The paper work says they will throw less than the stated charge and only worry about an over charge. Just move up in cavity size until you get what you want or just less. You get your charge pack out of a consistent bumping throughout the loading process. I've seen two different guys get two different charge weights out of the same orifice size. You might try the double disk setup to get a little better or closer to charge weight you want.

I'm using Unique. I haven't tried anything else yet. Figuring on maybe Bullseye or one of the Winchester powders next.

The trick is to upgrade it to the Pro Auto-Disk with this kit. Not bad for $16.99! Link Removed

Congratulations on your first loads.

My first reloading tool was the original "Lee Loader" ( Link Removed ) powered by a hammer!

A long time ago however, I ditched my RCBS and Lee tools(I kept the loaders and powder measures) and got a Dillon 550.

I have never had trouble with accurate metering of powder. The Dillon press I bought in the late 1980s is still going strong.

Dillon has the most ironclad warranty in the universe too! They have replaced and fixed EVERYTHING that ever went wrong on it at no charge.

-Doc

Congratulations to you. You have taken the first step in the most rewarding hobby a shooter can have. I have been reloading since mid 1960, that's several hunting seasons. I Started with the very basic Lee equipment, used many others along the way and now only use Dillon. There is none better. The Lee equipment you have is good stuff and will do want you want, I wouldn't worry too much about the powder charges coming out a little lite as long as they don't come out a little heavy. Go ahead and use the double disk setup and work up to the load you want, good luck

Congrats on the first load! I have been loading for my 45 and 380 for about 6 months now and it is very addicting! I find myself wanting more guns and more calibers just to load the shells lol.

Anyway, I have the Lee classic turret with the same powder measure. I have yet to get an accurate load as to what the manual says it should be for a certain powder. But what I do is as mentioned about find the disk that gets me close. Usually the measure is under what it should be so I move up. The tends to put me .1-.2 over. Which is fine because I am not making loads to the max, I tend to stay in the middle. I tried a few hot loads and they just did not feel as accurate with my pistol. Even though it does not put out the load the manual says it is consistent every time with what it gives.

Its all a science that you have hundreds of variables, bullet weight, bullet type, powder weight, powder type. Find what works best for YOUR gun. It may take some time but its like makin babies...half the fun is trying right?

Congratulations on getting started with reloading - it is really cool to shoot your own loads for the first time...
I got started reloading about a year ago - my wife and I got involved in Cowboy Action Shooting and for as much ammo as we use - reloading is the only way to go...

You've already gotten some great advice - but I thought I'd throw in some of my personal experience for you to consider as well.

I know you said that you tried the dryer sheet method and pencil lead on the disk - but ultimately I found that the 2 different Lee powder measures I've used seemed to do best after I'd run about a full hopper worth of powder through them. I guess the powder itself acts as a dry lubricant...

Another thing I've found is the issue may not be the powder drop - it could be your scale. I purchased an MTM Digital powder scale and I found that for the most consistent readings I need to let the scale "warm up" for a few minutes.
Also, I've found that the placement of my powder pan on the surface of the scale can have an effect on the reading. I can do a powder drop into a case, dump the powder into the pan (which is resting on the scale, zeroed for tare) and get my reading. Then if I lift the pan from the scale and place it more to the left or right side of the scale - my reading can vary by a couple of tenths of a grain.
So just like being consistent with your motions while cycling the press - being consistent with your measuring techniques is also important.

I hope this helps a little.

Enjoy your reloading hobby (and the fact that it can help you enjoy your shooting hobby more often) and be safe.

Congratulations on getting started with reloading - it is really cool to shoot your own loads for the first time...
I got started reloading about a year ago - my wife and I got involved in Cowboy Action Shooting and for as much ammo as we use - reloading is the only way to go...

You've already gotten some great advice - but I thought I'd throw in some of my personal experience for you to consider as well.

I know you said that you tried the dryer sheet method and pencil lead on the disk - but ultimately I found that the 2 different Lee powder measures I've used seemed to do best after I'd run about a full hopper worth of powder through them. I guess the powder itself acts as a dry lubricant...

Another thing I've found is the issue may not be the powder drop - it could be your scale. I purchased an MTM Digital powder scale and I found that for the most consistent readings I need to let the scale "warm up" for a few minutes.
Also, I've found that the placement of my powder pan on the surface of the scale can have an effect on the reading. I can do a powder drop into a case, dump the powder into the pan (which is resting on the scale, zeroed for tare) and get my reading. Then if I lift the pan from the scale and place it more to the left or right side of the scale - my reading can vary by a couple of tenths of a grain.
So just like being consistent with your motions while cycling the press - being consistent with your measuring techniques is also important.

I hope this helps a little.

Enjoy your reloading hobby (and the fact that it can help you enjoy your shooting hobby more often) and be safe.

...Being consistant with the way you use your scale. See, it's help like this that makes me glad I found this forum. Thanx Shadow68.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back