Shooting with your weak hand

JeanP

I am trying to complete the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. I have finished up through the Sharpshooter qualification. The Expert qualification is next and it requires shooting single-handed with your weak hand. My problem is I am having trouble lining up my "strong" eye with my weak hand. Anyone out there have some tips for me?
I am really right-handed and my strong eye is also on my right. Just can't seem to figure out my stance.

I am trying to complete the Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program. I have finished up through the Sharpshooter qualification. The Expert qualification is next and it requires shooting single-handed with your weak hand. My problem is I am having trouble lining up my "strong" eye with my weak hand. Anyone out there have some tips for me?
I am really right-handed and my strong eye is also on my right. Just can't seem to figure out my stance.

I will tilt the firearm, handgun or long gun, until my sights line up with my non dominate eye when I practice dominate eye injury scenarios. You can try that.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Do you shoot with both eyes open? I'm right eye dominate, but I have no problems lining up my sights in my left hand. Practice with an empty gun in both hands with both eyes open. When it's in your left hand, close your right eye. If your sights aren't lined up. try drawing, and sighting again (both eyes open). Close your right eye again only to see if the sights are lined up this time. Repeat until you can sight with both eyes open in either hand. It takes practice, but it can be done. It helps to learn to focus on the front sight.

Thanks guys. I'll try both suggestions. This marksmanship qualification course has really improved my shooting. I had never before even though of shooting weak handed. A real learning experience.

It sure will. The carry class I took required us to not only shoot one handed, but to eject the magazine, load a fresh one, and cycle a round to the chamber one handed. Not being able to do so meant disqualification.

I do believe you should learn to shoot both eyes open. having an eye closed destroys your depth of field, and being able to judge distance. It also creates tunnel vision.

Thanks guys. I'll try both suggestions. This marksmanship qualification course has really improved my shooting. I had never before even though of shooting weak handed. A real learning experience.

+1 for shooting with both eyes open! You really need to shoot this way with handguns and of course, I recommend shooting weak handed often... shooting studies show many people get hit in the gun-hand during the shooting incident. You could have the advantage if you're proficient with your weak hand.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back