Shooting at steel

mike52876

I recently went to my local metal shop to have them cut me a steel silhouette target. Total weight somewhere between 47-60 lbs 3/8" thick. I've watched alot of you tube videos of people shooting them with pistols with no problems. Does anyone shoot at steel and what is the least caliber size you should shoot at it. My guns range from 22-480 the only caliber I currently do not own is a 40. The target will be hanging from a garden plant hanger. Any input would be appreciated. Just worried about ricochet.

Sent from my SCH-R530X using USA Carry mobile app

Yeah, I'd worry too. When you hang the plate it moves when hit. If it's moving when you fire another shot the ricochet could go anywhere. I prefer a fixed steel target mounted to a stand and angled down toward the ground. The plate shouldn't move more than a very small amount when your fire. Also, make sure you have 20 yards minimum when shooting at a plate.

As long as the steel is not mild and does not pockmark when you hit it, you should not have any problem. I would recommend hanging the steel at the corners and not in the middle to reduce swing.

Something I use and can be found almost anywhere is Empty (AND I DO MEAN EMPTY) Propane gas Tanks. They are the right size for center mass and have a good ring when hit. Be Safe when shooting.

The range I help has two metal target areas. The thicker steel (1/2"+) is centerfire handgun rounds, no magnums. The thinner metal is rim fire .22, no magnums. They are fixed, spring loaded, or dueling trees.

More info to help.

Sent from my D6616 using USA Carry mobile app

It might go without saying, but use frangible ammo to be safer if ricochet is one of your worries.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using USA Carry mobile app

Howdy,

I like swingers myself.

These are made from 3/8" cold roll steel.

target1.jpg

1359094409.jpg

1359094338.jpg

1359094204.jpg

I shot this one with my Taurus PT 845 .45acp using 8 rounds of Tula steel cases ammo from 20yds.

I shoot them with handguns ranging from .22LR to 10mm power wise.

I have a couple of "knock down" targets that I use from my .454 Casull and a couple of different swingers for AR/AK and a different one for my .30-06 or muzzle loader.

When they get pock marked I will weld them up and grind them down.

Paul

P.S. I love the sound of lead smacking steel!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back