Shipping a handgun to myself in another state

I found this form using Google, so it does show up there.

I know this thread has been closed for a bit, but I wanted to know if there was any answer on this as I’m having issues with shipping a firearm to myself in another state.

I found what's on the ATF's website: "May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
“Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out of State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm. “

I'm moving down to Georgia for work and want to ship my handguns to me from Washington as the movers won’t take them (they will take long guns). In the past when I moved to Washington from Pennsylvania I was able to ship my handguns to myself. I thought I could do the same thing this time and went to UPS, but they told me I could only mail it to an FFL and I had to be an FFL. I told them what it says on the ATF’s website and they called corporate only to tell me the same thing; that I have to mail it to an FFL from an FFL.

I haven’t investigated sending it from an FFL to and FFL, but I’m under the impression they will end up charging me a fee per firearm for a transfer. This seems ridicules to me since I already own the handguns. I haven’t tried FedEx yet, but will. I’d like to see what other people have to say and if anyone has had any luck. I’ve thought of breaking down the weapons and mailing them in pieces, but I really don’t want to violate any laws. I really don’t believe I should have to. Anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone had luck with FedEx allowing them to ship handguns to themself in another state?

It is against both Fedex and UPS written terms and conditions to ship handguns unless it is from or to an FFL.

FedEx Express Terms and Conditions, FedEx Ground Tariff and FedEx SameDay City Tariff

Firearms
A. FedEx Express will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
1. Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
2. Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).

UPS says the same thing on page 7 here:
Link Removed

Keep in mind - if you (or an FFL) ships a handgun to an FFL in another state - when you go to retrieve that handgun from the FFL you will have to prove that you are a resident of the same state that FFL is located in. For example - to retrieve your handgun from an FFL in Georgia, you will have to prove that you are a Georgia resident.

Breaking down the handguns and shipping them in pieces is the same as shipping whole handguns. The part with the serial number, usually the frame, IS the firearm.

Multiple firearms can be transferred with one ATF form, requiring only one background check and fee.

In some states you don't need a background check if you have a Concealed Carry Permit. If the sending party and the receiving party is the same I think you can do it because you already have had a background check. You might want to run that by a FFL.

In some states you don't need a background check if you had on to get your Concealed Carry Permit. If the sending party and the receiving party is the same I think you can do it because you already have had a background check. You might want to run that by a FFL.

However, the recipient would still have to be a resident of the same state they are retrieving the handgun from - and have to prove that residency to the standards set in Federal law.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure when I'll become a resident of Georgia (at least get everything changed over), but I guess I'll have to do it ASAP if I want my firearms back. I'm going to talk to a gun shop today and see what they say. It makes me feel better if I don't have to pay for each handgun as it's own transfer. It sure is a hassle and not easy, especially when they're my property already and I've already cleared the background check process before.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure when I'll become a resident of Georgia (at least get everything changed over), but I guess I'll have to do it ASAP if I want my firearms back. I'm going to talk to a gun shop today and see what they say. It makes me feel better if I don't have to pay for each handgun as it's own transfer. It sure is a hassle and not easy, especially when they're my property already and I've already cleared the background check process before.

How are you getting to Georgia? Why not just take the guns with you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back