Ship Handguns Before Moving?

retirednak

I'm going to be moving out of Alaska,driving my truck loaded down. Since I own a few handguns and long guns,I'm wondering where to ship them since Canada is so anal on handguns. I've not done any business with any gun stores in the lower 48. I will be visiting my daughters in the Seattle area for a week or so. Can I get a recommend for a Marysville area gun shop to ship my handguns to? My second question,should I ship my long guns also since the border crossing can be such a pain in the ass? I know damn well they will pull every box out of my truck which will piss me off to no end and having to answer questions about my long guns will be the icing on the cake. Since most long guns have been handed down to me and I've never bothered to do any paper work,will this cause a bigger headache if they run the numbers and they come back under a different name then my own. I may decide to take the ferry if prices are reasonable rather then going through Canada.
Sorry bout being so long here,Thanks:pleasantry:

You might want to opt for a ferry. More expensive, but a direct US-to-US route, without passing through Canuckistan. There are ferries from Juneau or Ketchikan to Bellingham, WA.

(Yes, the irony of someone from "The People's Republic of Portland" calling it "Canuckistan" is intentional.)

I recommend shipping everything you have, depending on how many long guns you have. You will have to fill out form Link Removed in its entirety. You will then have to pay $25 to register them when you go through customs.

Besides searching through your stuff, they will make sure that the serial numbers match. Make sure the firearms are unloaded and locked up. To be on the safer side of things, make sure they are also triggered lock. Once you unlock the case, you can not touch the firearms unless they give you permission.

That is besides all the normal questions they have. If you are bringing ammo also, make sure its 200 rds or less.

BTW, I have traveled through Canada with a rifle and shotgun. I had all the forms filled out and ready for the border agents. It went smooth, because I was ready. Driving back through a few weeks later I gave the agents the forms and was waved through, but the forms do need to be signed and are good for 60 or 90 days.

The only odd thing is I had to register the firearms coming back in to the U.S. This was free, but still odd as I don't have them registered in my home state.

YMMV, but I recommend not going with the paper work and just shipping the firearms.

Shipping them to an FFL is about the only way if you drive. It could also be expensive. The ferry just might be the way. But are there any firearms regulations on the ferry? Id check that out. If you end up driving you can always bring 1 gun that you bought and is legal in Canada. I have a single shot 12 gauge that is legal in Canada and something I can take camping. Now if we can only convince the bad guys to obey the law.

I'm going to be moving out of Alaska,driving my truck loaded down. Since I own a few handguns and long guns,I'm wondering where to ship them since Canada is so anal on handguns. I've not done any business with any gun stores in the lower 48. I will be visiting my daughters in the Seattle area for a week or so. Can I get a recommend for a Marysville area gun shop to ship my handguns to?

Ship the guns to yourself in care of your daughter(s) in Seattle. If you ship your handguns to an FFL in Washington, and you are not a Washington resident, and can prove Washington residency to the FFL, then the FFL will NOT be able to transfer the handguns to you! FFLs are only allowed to transfer handguns to residents of the same state their business is in! In addition to the standard 4473 forms for handguns in Washington state, there is also a state pistol transfer form the FFLs must submit, and if you don't have a Washington CPL, there is a five day wait for a state level background check in addition to the NICS check.

Again, unless you can PROVE to an FFL that you are a resident of the same state they have their business in, the FFL will NOT transfer handguns to you. That is Federal law, 18 USC 922 (b)(3).

I'm going to be moving out of Alaska,driving my truck loaded down. Since I own a few handguns and long guns,I'm wondering where to ship them since Canada is so anal on handguns. I've not done any business with any gun stores in the lower 48. I will be visiting my daughters in the Seattle area for a week or so. Can I get a recommend for a Marysville area gun shop to ship my handguns to? My second question,should I ship my long guns also since the border crossing can be such a pain in the ass? I know damn well they will pull every box out of my truck which will piss me off to no end and having to answer questions about my long guns will be the icing on the cake. Since most long guns have been handed down to me and I've never bothered to do any paper work,will this cause a bigger headache if they run the numbers and they come back under a different name then my own. I may decide to take the ferry if prices are reasonable rather then going through Canada.
Sorry bout being so long here,Thanks:pleasantry:

I am not sure what you mean by "run the numbers". There is no master database for firearms where they can run the numbers. When you purchase a firearm, that serial number does not go into a federal database where it can be checked.

I guess some states require you register your guns before you can have a carry permit, but since I would not live in such a state, I don't know for sure.

Do not count on your #s not being in the fed data bank. ATF agents regularly check forms at FFLs. Do you trust them not to record the info????? My sons are headed into the "anti no-man's land" this week. They shipped the non hunting handguns, recorded and permitted the long ones, and hopefully everything is in order.

Do not count on your #s not being in the fed data bank. ATF agents regularly check forms at FFLs. Do you trust them not to record the info????? My sons are headed into the "anti no-man's land" this week. They shipped the non hunting handguns, recorded and permitted the long ones, and hopefully everything is in order.

I trust my ATF guy not to record numbers. Can't speak to others.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back