Self-defense shield

Does anyone receive an email from Tim Schmidt from US conceal carry website Link Removed regarding join membership plus sign up with self-defense shield program...say...if you self-defend your life and shot someone....they will use their fund to pay your lawyer or they will point one for you at your State if you can't find one....sounds to good to be true.... because for as little as $400 year membership fee...you will covered up to 300.000 legal fees???? when I called customer service....no one ever return my call regarding my concerns....
It just sound too good to be true....

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrestling with it myself.
Sure as shootin' (pardon the pun) I have an incident with a BG and they wind up injured or dead and the BG or his family sue me civilly for messing up their lives.
You hear about it all the time.
I know I can't pay for a lawyer to defend my LEGAL actions.
So I'm about to take the plunge myself and pray I'll never have to use it.
Not much different from auto liability insurance I guess.

The NRA offers a self defense insurance seperate from the membership dues. Worth checking out. I would trust the NRA before something new starting out. NRA isn't going anywhere been there for years. If not a member check it out everyone with a gun should be!!! www.nra.org good luck with your decision.

wrestling with it myself.
Sure as shootin' (pardon the pun) i have an incident with a bg and they wind up injured or dead and the bg or his family sue me civilly for messing up their lives.
You hear about it all the time.
I know i can't pay for a lawyer to defend my legal actions.
So i'm about to take the plunge myself and pray i'll never have to use it.
Not much different from auto liability insurance i guess.

thank you!!
All the best.

Different Options for Legal coverage

The NRA offers a self defense insurance seperate from the membership dues. Worth checking out. I would trust the NRA before something new starting out. NRA isn't going anywhere been there for years. If not a member check it out everyone with a gun should be!!! NRA good luck with your decision.

I've signed up for it. Instead of going for the platinum membership I got the basic silver, but I'm also a member of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network which includes a fund to help network members out in SD shootings. I'd rather diversify this way in case I have issues with one organization. From what I understand one thing that's different between the NRA policy and these are that the NRA policy is an individually underwritten policy and that's it. It's discoverable (which means the scumbag civil defense lawyer will know that you have that policy and for sure will sue you for that amount of liability coverage). Also I believe by law they can't cover your criminal defense costs until you've been acquitted (first dollar coverage or something). Their policy refers to criminal defense reimbursement. So you might have to sell everything to pay of the cost of defending yourself and If you win, you get a check from the insurance company.

The self defense shield has a grant and insurance backed mechanism. If you're caught in a SD shooting you can apply for a grant to pay for you upfront criminal defense. It's not guaranteed - you have to apply. There are 2 reasons for this. If it was automatic a Pimp could sign up and claim self defense when he murdered his rival and would get the grant money. The Shield organization will need to judge that it's a reasonable SD situation. The second is they would lose their non profit status if it was automatic. If you're acquitted the Insurance policy kicks in. The CCW Shield foundation is reimbursed for the grant money and any additional money beyond the grant would pay for additional legal costs incurred. If you lose then you don't have to pay the grant back (but you have bigger problems there). So the idea is the grant helps you with upfront Self defense costs and the insurance will reimburse. Finally the insurance will also provide civil liability but this insurance is not discoverable because you're the beneficiary not the policy holder. That probably won't matter too much if you have umbrella coverage for your homeowners insurance because that will be discoverable (I assume)

The armed citizens legal defense network is not an insurance or insurance backed thing. It's a network of firearms experts, pro 2nd amendment lawyers whose goal is to provide a supporting network to help a SD shooter in the case of a legitimate SD incident. If you're caught in a SD shooting, they provide $10,000 grant immediately to cover your initial legal costs - I believe this is automatic you don't have to go through a more formal grant application process. The idea here is that you get your defense team firing on all cylinders from the get go. That means not having to deal with an overburdened Public Defender in the first few days while applying for a grant because you can't afford a pro 2nd amendment attorney that has experience in this, and your attorney will be able to hire a private investigator to uncover witnesses etc. This benefit is based on that fact that what happens in the initial aftermath is going to have the greatest impact on whether you get let go, or charged, or eventually convicted. They will provide experts to review the case and recommend to your attorney strategies to employ (included in membership). They also have a legal defense fund that you can apply to. Again this isn't guaranteed or insurance. The fund has a pretty impressive advisory board though (Massad Ayoob, Dennis Tueller - of Tueller drill fame - amongst others).

I've signed up to the shield and the Armed citizens legal defense network. I've got umbrella liability insurance which will cover me for negligence (which is always what a plaintiff's attorney goes after no matter what because insurance won't cover non accidental, non negligent i.e deliberate acts and all the lawyer wants is the money). I'd recommend signing up to 2 out of 3 (or all 3 if you can swing it). If you normally have a Starbucks latte every day - skip it and make coffee at home. That will save $750 a year - more then enough to pay for all three at max coverage levels

The armed citizens legal defense fund is $85 a year. You also get a lot of educational material as well (DVD with Massad Ayoob on "Handling the Immediate Aftermath of a Self Defense shooting" is a must for all CCW holders). The USCCA shield is between $125 and $300 depending on Silver, Gold, or Platinum (higher limits). You get a great magazine and a great access to resources - similar to USA Carry).

I see it as supporting a good cause and adding additional legal protection for myself

Last edited:
Does anyone receive an email from Tim Schmidt from US conceal carry website usconcealcarry.com regarding join membership plus sign up with self-defense shield program...say...if you self-defend your life and shot someone....they will use their fund to pay your lawyer or they will point one for you at your State if you can't find one....sounds to good to be true.... because for as little as $400 year membership fee...you will covered up to 300.000 legal fees???? when I called customer service....no one ever return my call regarding my concerns....
It just sound too good to be true....
Failure to return your call is a bad sign.

I've signed up for it. Instead of going for the platinum membership I got the basic silver, but I'm also a member of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network which includes a fund to help network members out in SD shootings. I'd rather diversify this way in case I have issues with one organization. From what I understand one thing that's different between the NRA policy and these are that the NRA policy is an individually underwritten policy and that's it. It's discoverable (which means the scumbag civil defense lawyer will know that you have that policy and for sure will sue you for that amount of liability coverage). Also I believe by law they can't cover your criminal defense costs until you've been acquitted (first dollar coverage or something). Their policy refers to criminal defense reimbursement. So you might have to sell everything to pay of the cost of defending yourself and If you win, you get a check from the insurance company.

The self defense shield has a grant and insurance backed mechanism. If you're caught in a SD shooting you can apply for a grant to pay for you upfront criminal defense. It's not guaranteed - you have to apply. There are 2 reasons for this. If it was automatic a Pimp could sign up and claim self defense when he murdered his rival and would get the grant money. The Shield organization will need to judge that it's a reasonable SD situation. The second is they would lose their non profit status if it was automatic. If you're acquitted the Insurance policy kicks in. The CCW Shield foundation is reimbursed for the grant money and any additional money beyond the grant would pay for additional legal costs incurred. If you lose then you don't have to pay the grant back (but you have bigger problems there). So the idea is the grant helps you with upfront Self defense costs and the insurance will reimburse. Finally the insurance will also provide civil liability but this insurance is not discoverable because you're the beneficiary not the policy holder. That probably won't matter too much if you have umbrella coverage for your homeowners insurance because that will be discoverable (I assume)

The armed citizens legal defense network is not an insurance or insurance backed thing. It's a network of firearms experts, pro 2nd amendment lawyers whose goal is to provide a supporting network to help a SD shooter in the case of a legitimate SD incident. If you're caught in a SD shooting, they provide $10,000 grant immediately to cover your initial legal costs - I believe this is automatic you don't have to go through a more formal grant application process. The idea here is that you get your defense team firing on all cylinders from the get go. That means not having to deal with an overburdened Public Defender in the first few days while applying for a grant because you can't afford a pro 2nd amendment attorney that has experience in this, and your attorney will be able to hire a private investigator to uncover witnesses etc. This benefit is based on that fact that what happens in the initial aftermath is going to have the greatest impact on whether you get let go, or charged, or eventually convicted. They will provide experts to review the case and recommend to your attorney strategies to employ (included in membership). They also have a legal defense fund that you can apply to. Again this isn't guaranteed or insurance. The fund has a pretty impressive advisory board though (Massad Ayoob, Dennis Tueller - of Tueller drill fame - amongst others).

I've signed up to the shield and the Armed citizens legal defense network. I've got umbrella liability insurance which will cover me for negligence (which is always what a plaintiff's attorney goes after no matter what because insurance won't cover non accidental, non negligent i.e deliberate acts and all the lawyer wants is the money). I'd recommend signing up to 2 out of 3 (or all 3 if you can swing it). If you normally have a Starbucks latte every day - skip it and make coffee at home. That will save $750 a year - more then enough to pay for all three at max coverage levels

The armed citizens legal defense fund is $85 a year. You also get a lot of educational material as well (DVD with Massad Ayoob on "Handling the Immediate Aftermath of a Self Defense shooting" is a must for all CCW holders). The USCCA shield is between $125 and $300 depending on Silver, Gold, or Platinum (higher limits). You get a great magazine and a great access to resources - similar to USA Carry).

I see it as supporting a good cause and adding additional legal protection for myself

Is there any contract to the SD shield program through USCCA in case something happened? so to make sure you will be protected in stead of wasting money and sit inside jail waiting for court date..... I have been contacting this org. and they told me they will contact me regarding my concern of this program...however, NO ONE ever get back to me..... Bottomline, I just hate to waste money when I really need help.... Just want to make sure it is not some kind of "SCAM"

Tim Schmidt is a guerilla marketer, just like Iggy Piazza at Front Sight. In my opinion, that taints everything either has to offer.

Check your home owners insurance if you have it. Some will pay, some won't. If it does it is pretty cheap to add umbrella coverage
for liability.

I am not 100% sure but I think that you still will have to pay for a lawyer first and be acquitted before they can help.

Here is part of what is covered:
The insurance policy will provide criminal defense reimbursement for the reasonable and
necessary costs and expenses incurred in connection with the investigation and/or defense of any
criminal charge or criminal proceeding caused by the use of a firearm that is legally possessed
after you’ve been acquitted of criminal charges or the charges have been dismissed. The amount
paid is limited by the member level limits. Insurance companies cannot and do not sell “first-
dollar” criminal defense coverage. This is why we’ve created the USCCA Legal Defense
Foundation, Inc. The foundation can help you bridge this gap. (See below for more information
on exactly how the foundation works.)

To find the rest
We're Changing The Course Of Concealed Carry & Self Defense History With Our June Announcement | USConcealedCarry.com
Go down to the Frequently Asked Questions section and click on the Download Benefits Summary. Inside the summary explains that this is a reimbursement program and you have to be acquitted.

I don't think it's a scam. I've been a member of USCCA for about six months now. Magazines always come on time - informative content (usually read it cover to cover). I've seen cross collaboration from Marty Hayes of the Armed Citizens Legal defense network and he was on their advisory board and I've also seen contributions from Rob Pincus as well. I doubt they would be involved with it in any way if it were a fly by night operation. However I do agree with demospec that Tim Schmidt's marketing is - lets call it "aggressive", and that sometimes turns me off. I tend to tune out those types of messages however they are annoying.

Not getting response back is usually a big red flag. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt for now since they just launched the Shield and are probably swamped. But on these issues I usually say "trust your gut". You might want to sign up for the Armed Citizen Legal Defense fund and the NRA insurance policy. You would get good coverage. $10,000 from Armed Citizen Legal Defense fund for initial defense, bail hearings etc + access to the fund for grants. The NRA policy would give you the insurance that will reimburse you when and if you're acquitted.

Umbrella insurance almost (if not ever) never covers criminal defense in a self defense shooting. They cannot offer insurance for a willful act and by definition the affirmative defense behind self defense is a willfull act (I shot him because he attacked me and was going to kill me- it wasn't an accident, it wasn't carelessness etc). Your umbrella policy will probably cover you during the civil portion because undoubtedly the plaintiffs attorney will claim negligence and that's usually covered in your umbrella policy. In fact even if the criminal trial showed absolutely no evidence of negligence they will still claim negligence because they want access to that fat umbrella policy.

I used to be a member of USCCA for many years. The only thing that comes on time is their magazine. I'd rather be here where we we have real freedom of speech. And yes, we have NRA insurance.

I am so glad that this was posted on here as I have been debating weather to upgrade to the shield or not. I absolutely love the idea of the protection, but who says you will get it when you need it??????? I have been a USCCA member for a while now and I really like what they offer, but as we all know we do have to pay for what we get from them, but I do have to admit I do like the magazine. I do have to admit I do not like the aggressive marketing tactics they use, I deal with salesmen everyday at work and I CAN NOT stand aggressive salesmen that can't take no for an answer or will not leave you alone. After reading this thread I will have think on it for a bit longer. If anybody has any positive things to say about the shield PLEASE post them here. In the mean time I will check into the other groups, although I am familiar with the NRA. I am not familiar with The armed citizens legal defense fund.

Tim Schmidt is a guerilla marketer, just like Iggy Piazza at Front Sight. In my opinion, that taints everything either has to offer.

I had to look up what guerrilla marketing was and you hit the nail on the head. I'm a member of the USCCA and although I like the magazine for the most part, I'm so sick and tired of the CONSTANT ( I can't state that enough) marketing that is sent to my inbox that I have decided not to renew my membership because of it. I sent them an email complaining about being constantly sold to right after he started pushing that business about securing your financial future. It kind of offends me when someone trying to sell me something implies that if I don't do it I don't care about my families welfare. I didn't get any reply regarding my complaint. the USCCA claims that they are about helping people but it sure "feels" like it's more about the sale than anything else. Pretty disappointing. Self Defense Shield sounds great but my lack of confidence in Tim Schmidt makes me very hesitant.

I had to look up what guerrilla marketing was and you hit the nail on the head. I'm a member of the USCCA and although I like the magazine for the most part, I'm so sick and tired of the CONSTANT ( I can't state that enough) marketing that is sent to my inbox that I have decided not to renew my membership because of it. I sent them an email complaining about being constantly sold to right after he started pushing that business about securing your financial future. It kind of offends me when someone trying to sell me something implies that if I don't do it I don't care about my families welfare. I didn't get any reply regarding my complaint. the USCCA claims that they are about helping people but it sure "feels" like it's more about the sale than anything else. Pretty disappointing. Self Defense Shield sounds great but my lack of confidence in Tim Schmidt makes me very hesitant.

You are ABSOLUTELY right! on the other hand, they will send you magazine each month since you have already paid for it.....
NRA offers self-defense insurance/$165 year covers up to $100.000 , $254/ 250.000 plus your home insurance usually covers up to $300.000 liability ( this is for civil law suit after talk to the agents)

Reply to not receiving a call back might be bad thing

Actually failure to return you call, while frustrating is probably understandable...as they just started the defense shield last Monday and they are swamped. Give them another chance and either call them..again or email them.

I thought that it sounded good enough that I purchased the Gold coverage.

Last edited:
I too am getting pretty tired of the repeated hard-core marketing, with almost daily emails pushing the Shield program. In fact, I clicked the "Unsubscribe" button on the last one I received today. I am a member of Armed Citizen Legal Defense Fund primarily because of their coverage, and I figure I am intelligent enough to make my own choice about the USCCA Shield program without the constant barrage of insulting emails...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back