Seattle's Gun Ban any updates?

bgzoots

Just wanted to know if anyone has updates on the gun ban for all city properties in Seattle that the mayor issued a few weeks ago. I want to attend the festivals at Seattle Center but dont like the idea of not having the legal ability to carry there.

I talked to the mayor and he is still working on signs and other details to enforce it. He is going to do what he wants from what he told me. I am starting a concealed weapons permit group here in Seattle to go to the range together and city council meetings and do fund raisers and other group activities to show we are not the same as gang bangers here. If interested let me know

I'm no attorney, but maybe a speed bump in the Mayor's plans?

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places ? Local laws and ordinances ? Exceptions ? Penalty.

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060

It hasn't become law yet just his say so that the cops are going on but they have no way to enforce it as yet.

I realized belatedly that I violated the Mayor's ban yesterday.

A local narcotics hobbyist (presumably) smashed my car window and tossed my car for valuables last night, so I found myself walking the street near my home talking on my cell phone to the insurance company to arrange replacement of the car window. I knew that I'd have to make a police report both for the insurance and because we like to keep up the awareness of car prowl in the neighborhood.

So when I spotted an SPD cruiser in the park, I didn't hesitate to walk over to ask the patrolman if he'd come take an incident report for me. I therefore violated the Mayor's rule by simply crossing the street.

The officer ran my ID and plates, and clearly saw my CCW when I opened my wallet.

So it was a little reassuring to know that officers of the North Precinct aren't being trained to sniff out and harass CCW holders in the parks. And we never really thought they would.

But it's still very rankling to me that the Mayor has in essence directed SPD to harass citizens who are complying with the actual State law and City municipal code. Mayor Nickels is a smart and savvy person, but boy does he have a strong affection for the ridiculous.

I'm no attorney, but maybe a speed bump in the Mayor's plans?

RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places ? Local laws and ordinances ? Exceptions ? Penalty.

(2) Cities, towns, counties, and other municipalities may enact laws and ordinances:
(b) Restricting the possession of firearms in any stadium or convention center, operated by a city, town, county, or other municipality, except that such restrictions shall not apply to:
(i) Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW 9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060

I see that this is your first post on USA Carry, Glock 26. Congratulations.

Anyway, the information you've presented seems pretty cut and dry to me. Anyone with a CWP (or whatever they're called in Washington) is perfectly within their rights to carry on city owned property regardless of what kinds of signs he posts. Maybe a group of you CCW holders could do a protest march while carrying and have a copy of that law with you. Just a thought.

SEATTLE MAYOR SAYS HE WILL BAN GUNS YOUR PUBLIC COMMENTS NEEDED
Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels has launched an attack on law-abiding gun owners who either live in the city, or visit there, by forging ahead with a plan to ban all firearms, including those legally carried by law-abiding citizens. He is doing this in defiance of an opinion from Attorney General Rob McKenna that such a ban would be illegal under Washington State’s model preemption statute.

The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms encourages Washington State residents, and citizens from across the country who regularly visit Seattle, to submit comments to the city via its website:

Link Removed

On December 15, 2008, a public hearing will be held in the Bertha Knight Landes room at Seattle City Hall, 600 Fourth Avenue, with sign-in beginning at 5:30 p.m.

Mayor Nickels’ proposed plan would impair the rights of citizens to bear arms, as affirmed by Article 1, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution. He would prevent citizens licensed to carry firearms in public places from exercising that right on city-owned property, including city parks and the Seattle Center.

Citizens may also e-mail Mayor Nickels directly: seattle.gov/mayor/citizen_response.htm

You may also call the Mayor's office: (206) 684-4000.

I see that this is your first post on USA Carry, Glock 26. Congratulations.

Anyway, the information you've presented seems pretty cut and dry to me. Anyone with a CWP (or whatever they're called in Washington) is perfectly within their rights to carry on city owned property regardless of what kinds of signs he posts. Maybe a group of you CCW holders could do a protest march while carrying and have a copy of that law with you. Just a thought.

A person without any permit at all is legal to open carry in Washington. Seattle city property is no different, it is still state law that a person can carry, except where prohibited by state law, and any lower governments cannot change that. A person MIGHT get arrested by the cops for open carry on Seattle public property, but it will get thrown out at the first court level.

I wish I got to Seattle more, but I don't normally visit there. On one visit I was going to be in a parade for handicapped athletes (my girlfriend's 12 year old daughter is a cheerleader missing one lower leg). I open carried into the city park with both my girlfriend and her daughter. There were about 8 cops there. One cop drove up to us and gave the girl a sticker badge and didn't say anything about my gun. After about 30 minutes while we were waiting for everyone to show up, the cop in charge finally came over to me to talk to me. He stated there was controversy over carrying in a city park. I said, yes, I know that, but it is not against the law. He stated that open carry did not mean being able to carry a visible firearm. WTH?!? I didn't bother to ask what open carry meant then. He asked if I had a CPL. I said yes. He asked if he could see it. I said, no. He asked if I would conceal my firearm. I told him, since I was there for an event, with my "family" that I would because I didn't think that was the time and place for an argument.

After I concealed, then the tricky devil asked me to produce my CPL. I did, and my Washington ID, and everything was OK after that. Had I been alone and did not have the well being of my "family" to care about, I would have challenged him all the way to arrest. After the parade got called off due to lack of participation, I got her daughter's wheelchair wheel caught in a hole in the sidewalk. The same cop came over and helped me with it, gave me a friendly slap on the arm and said Have a good day.

My feeling is that I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution, and open carry is one way that I can fulfill that oath.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back