SAA for everyday carry?

Hey, if you want to play cowboy against the bad guys coming at you these days armed with semi-autos with high cap magazines, be my guest.

Happy trails.

Another equipment moron. A high capacity semi-automatic does them no good when your first shot puts them out. It is all about how many you hit with, not how many your weapon carries. You just convinced me to avoid your products.

BTW - I often carry a .44 Special Ruger Blackhawk.

You guys crack me up. It is so obvious that the people defending carrying a SAA pistol for self-defense have ZERO real world experience with CQB and what it means to face down a threat in a real gun fight.

Obviously, you like to judge people without knowing them. I have been in four armed confrontations. Two were with a single action revolver. I did not have to fire a shot (as is the case with 75% of civilian armed confrontations). I qualified for my CCW with a SAA. Since that time, I have taken many tactical courses with semi-autos. Not one of those courses came anywhere near what I experienced in "real" life as a civilian. I am not saying the courses taught me nothing. That would be FAR from the truth. I was lucky to have intructors with real combat experience, and one that had killed his share of people in war. What they taught me that was more valuable than any of the shooting was how to AVOID getting into the gunfight in the first place. Thankfully, using what they taught, I have not had to use one of my pistols to defend myself since.

One of my instructors is a medic on the local SWAT team. He was first to the scene after a couple of our city's finest try to take on a drug dealer. Two cops, one drug dealer. More than 30 shots fired, most from the cop's Glocks. Three hits, one nearly fatal. All on one cop. My understanding is the dealer hit the cop with the first shots he fired (what makes it worse is the cops knew he was armed before they stopped him). If all three had been armed with revolvers, the only difference would have been that there would have been fewer stray cop rounds flying about that neighborhood. Unlike the cops, I don't get a free pass when I spray and pray and send rounds everywhere putting the very people that I am supposed to be protecting in harm's way. That is why I have no use for "experts" like you.

I have a close friend who was a SOCOM assigned officer with a real world background that makes Jack Bauer look like a wannbee. I won’t go into details about his background more than to say that he is a serious operator who I have been serving with in the same reserve unit for over a decade – I‘ve known him long enough to know the few stories he’s told me are not BS.
You know what he usually carries when back in CONUS? – A short barreled, 44 Mag DA revolver. He isn’t worried about capacity as much as inherent accuracy and muzzle energy.
As he, and any serious individual I’ve ever known, would say : “The gun is just a tool. YOU are the weapon.” If you can’t – or won’t - understand that then there isn’t much point in any more conversation about it.

I have a close friend who was a SOCOM assigned officer with a real world background that makes Jack Bauer look like a wannbee. I won’t go into details about his background more than to say that he is a serious operator who I have been serving with in the same reserve unit for over a decade – I‘ve known him long enough to know the few stories he’s told me are not BS.
You know what he usually carries when back in CONUS? – A short barreled, 44 Mag DA revolver. He isn’t worried about capacity as much as inherent accuracy and muzzle energy.
As he, and any serious individual I’ve ever known, would say : “The gun is just a tool. YOU are the weapon.” If you can’t – or won’t - understand that then there isn’t much point in any more conversation about it.

Very well stated!

For the majority of my guns I prefer leather, however, for the .44 I prefer Uncle Mikes "El Cheapo" (but strong) nylon. Taking into consideration the weight of the SAA in the .44 magnum, the "High Riding" nylon holster is extremely comfortable worn in the 3:30 position. Most people will criticize my choice in nylon, but in this particular case it works best for me.

Link Removed

~ FIGHT CRIME-SHOOT BACK ~

ringo,
i saw the picture of your holster for your single action with the 45/8 barrel and would like to find one just like it .i have issues with my hands and this holster would work perfectly .

ringo, can you please tell me what holster you are showing and where can i find one just like it

lefty7

I always get a kick out of the guys that know better than every one else. Truth is in a fight I have found they either chicken out and freeze OR they are the first ones dead all that tacticool training is worthless with out a person able to think through the fear and act. yah i have been there. Having said that the SAA would never be my first choice but I do hear the same arguments against my DA revolver but yet for my area a DA revolver is more than enough now if I head to the city ill have my XD at my side. In the end knowing what to carry and when is the skill folks should be worried about. As a aside I am lucky enough to live in a town that every other person is armed it is like the wild west here and yet our crime levels are almost nothing....go figure.

I have spent 5 years shooting cowboy action and have seen plenty of shooters who can out draw and out shoot your average ccw shooter. If you are happy shooting a single action revolver more power to you. I have 2 ruger 45 colts and they are so smooth from the factory they didn't need any custom work to improve the action. That being said I carry a 1911 commander.

I have spent 5 years shooting cowboy action and have seen plenty of shooters who can out draw and out shoot your average ccw shooter. If you are happy shooting a single action revolver more power to you. I have 2 ruger 45 colts and they are so smooth from the factory they didn't need any custom work to improve the action. That being said I carry a 1911 commander.

I've seen CAS participants that can out shoot me six days a week and twice on Sunday... and I am better than your average CCW holder. Bottom line: Carry what's comfortable, what works and what your proficient with. Everything else is bvllsh!t...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back