S&W Model 66-2 .357 Combat Magnum issue

BKG203

When firing my S&W Model 66-2 using .357mag ammo, the cylinder will jam and not cycle to the next round. However, if I shoot .38spl or .38+P, it cycles just fine with no issues whatsoever. Anyone here had any issues like this? And of so, what was the fix?

Thanks.
Link Removed

Sounds like a pressure issue. I recently read an article on that very model that said to use only 158 gr loads. Something about the forcing cone? It also said that's why they don't make the K frame .357. Have you tried the heavier loads?

When firing my S&W Model 66-2 using .357mag ammo, the cylinder will jam and not cycle to the next round. However, if I shoot .38spl or .38+P, it cycles just fine with no issues whatsoever. Anyone here had any issues like this? And of so, what was the fix?

Thanks.
Link Removed

I have a 686, and shoot .38's in it almost all the time. When I go to shoot .357's, they don't drop all the way into the cylinder, because there is a carbon build up where the .38 bullet leaves the cylinder. This maybe your problem. It's very hard to clean this out and this is why it's jamming, at least with my gun!

Don't know if this is related but, had a S&W "scandium" .357 mag that used to hang up after 3 or 4 shots. Seems the bullets were extracting them selves from the cartridge as I was shooting. Could hardly ever make it to the 5th round! Had to look for ammo that was very well swedged so the bullet wouldn't "self extract". I got rid of it.
Ron

I have a 686, and shoot .38's in it almost all the time. When I go to shoot .357's, they don't drop all the way into the cylinder, because there is a carbon build up where the .38 bullet leaves the cylinder. This maybe your problem. It's very hard to clean this out and this is why it's jamming, at least with my gun!

Thanks, but build-up is not a problem. This gun is impeccably clean and the .357's drop all the way into the cylinder.

Sounds like a pressure issue. I recently read an article on that very model that said to use only 158 gr loads. Something about the forcing cone? It also said that's why they don't make the K frame .357. Have you tried the heavier loads?

Thanks. I am using 158gr SJHP's.

This might shed some light:

Is there a "best" S&W model 66 version? - THR

I'm no gunsmith...but this sounds like the problem you're having.

I bet if you sent it in to Smith & Wesson, they'd fix it for you for nothing.

Thanks. I could possibly be the gas ring expanding, but it does it when it is first fired with .357's (gun is cold).

I think I am going to contact S&W and talk to a rep. Thanks for all the responses and suggestions from everyone.

As an aside - those "rings around the chamber" clean up nicely with a bit of scotchbrite pad wrapped around a rod or dowel or something. Swab the chamber with some solvent first, let it sit a few minutes, and run the scotchbrite pad in. It doesn't have to be all that tight or anything, and it will scrub that ring right down.

This also works nicely on the carbon rings on the front face of the cylinder...but it can also take some bluing with it, depending on the gun.

I think I am going to contact S&W and talk to a rep. Thanks for all the responses and suggestions from everyone.

Their customer service is really good. My M&P 45 had an inoperative trigger when I first bought it. Even though it was a used gun, they replaced the entire trigger and sear assembly (which I suspect may have been aftermarket and improperly installed by an amateur) , cleaned it nicely, and sent an extra magazine back along with it. Turn time was maybe 2 weeks. And they didn't charge me a dime!

A bronze brush, a small piece of cleaning rod, and a drill... Attach the brush to the small cleaning rod, insert other end of rod into drill... Make sure to run the drill in the correct direction so as not to unscrew the brush from the cleaning rod. Soak the cylinder charging hole with a good solvent (Hoppe's, etc..) using a piece of tee shirt wet with the solvent for a period of time 30 or so minutes perhaps more... Remove the wadding and use the brush in the drill at slow speed like a cylinder hone. Keep the brush moving in and out like you were having se... Whoops, almost wrote it.. Worked for my old Model 65..

I use the Birchwood Casey Lead Removing cloth to remove the burn marks from the front of the cylinder..

Their customer service is really good. My M&P 45 had an inoperative trigger when I first bought it. Even though it was a used gun, they replaced the entire trigger and sear assembly (which I suspect may have been aftermarket and improperly installed by an amateur) , cleaned it nicely, and sent an extra magazine back along with it. Turn time was maybe 2 weeks. And they didn't charge me a dime!

Do you have a contact number for them?

I had a Colt Trooper with the same problem. It had a very short cylinder and 357 magnum shells that were not crimped correctly would let the bullet slide out of the cartridge a few thousandths of an inch each shot from the recoil when shooting. After about three rounds the bullet stuck out of the cylinder just enough to eat up to clearance between the cylinder and barrel stopping the cylinder from indexing. 38 special and plus P are shorter than a 357 magnum to begin with and will not have that problem. I have a Smith & Wesson 686 but the cylinder is longer than the colt trooper. Next time it hangs up look and see if that is the reason. If you have a calipers check the length of new ammo and then a unfired round that has been in the cylinder during firing of two or three other shells.

I had a Colt Trooper with the same problem. It had a very short cylinder and 357 magnum shells that were not crimped correctly would let the bullet slide out of the cartridge a few thousandths of an inch each shot from the recoil when shooting. After about three rounds the bullet stuck out of the cylinder just enough to eat up to clearance between the cylinder and barrel stopping the cylinder from indexing. 38 special and plus P are shorter than a 357 magnum to begin with and will not have that problem. I have a Smith & Wesson 686 but the cylinder is longer than the colt trooper. Next time it hangs up look and see if that is the reason. If you have a calipers check the length of new ammo and then a unfired round that has been in the cylinder during firing of two or three other shells.

You and "Ronald" basically described the same thing. I will give this measurement check a try next time I go to the range. I think I am still going to contact S&W about it though.

Thanks to you both.

You could try a different lot of ammo, the rollcrimp may not be tight enough, causing the bullet to creep forward with the firing of the first round, therefore the bullet binds with the forcing cone as the cylinder rotates not allowing it to index the next round.

Update

Well, I contacted the S&W rep and he seems to think it is the bullet separating from the case. From what I described he didn't think it was the gas ring expanding.

Long story short...since I last posted, I traded the 66-2 at a local gun show to a dealer straight up for a stainless Ruger SR9C. Pretty good deal considering what I paid for the Smith. The 66-2 was basically a range gun because it was too big to carry comfortably, and my wife was wanting a different carry pistol (and the Ruger is gorgeous).
Link Removed

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back