Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter- 44 mag

Nope, Haven't got a hold of that one. Looks like a 7 1/2" barrel. Maybe a very slightly lighter than the Super Redhawk, MSR is a little lower. The Blackhawks are good shooters just the same. Grips are a little different, so back to what feels good to you.
I like my Redhawk...

PS:
Even though my Redhawk is a "DA", 9 out 10 shots I shot SA.

Last edited:
I'm thinking likewise. I saw a used one at a gun dealer for $600. I was told they get a few used ones every year because people buy them and then find they don't use them as much for hunting as they thought they would.

That's the same situation I found this one in. Guy used it once for hunting, then put it away and traded it in.

I've not used mine for hunting, but it is a great gun for target shooting. I have several Blackhawks and Vaqueros (same gun as the Blackhawk, but with fixed sights). I shoot mostly my .45 LCs [for Cowboy Action Shooting], but the Super BH is a great gun.

My Super BH shoots exactly on target holding at 6:00 -- as long as I don't flinch! The gun has enough weight that the recoil is not a problem. And I like the single action style grip.

I did NOT have my Super BH slicked up at all. It shot straight right out of the box. I keep think about putting in a slightly lighter spring, but why fix it when it ain't broke?

As long as you can find a tree to lean against, you will have no problem dropping a deer within 50 yards. Possibly even longer range. That 7 1/2" barrel will do a dance.

I always have something to lean on, I have a couple bucks (A couple small trees, too) that were 30 yards or less. I sight the scope in at 50 yards. Paper Targets are hard to see at 100 yards with that 2x Leupold.

A PMC 240gr.
Link Removed

Last edited:
I've killed numerous deer with handguns. Including with Ruger Single Actions like the Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. It is a good choice for deer or wild hogs, as I have experience taking both. It's also comforting to have while hiking or hunting in Bear or Mountain Lion Country. I also used my Super Blackhawk to take a couple of rabbits last year, using light load 44 specials with round nose lead bullets (cowboy loads). Didn't tear up too much meat. It's pretty versatile if you can hit what your shooting at. My favorite 44 mag is the S&W 629, but I still can't help but enjoy the Crank and Yanks made by Ruger.

Bought One for Christmas, 1995 at Buck's Gun Rack in Daytona Bch., Fl. Already had Burris scope on it, and I loved that gun-used it for deer hunting for 5 years until the hammer split my thumb open in an unwise shot. Great gun-You won't be disappointed.

I've killed numerous deer with handguns. Including with Ruger Single Actions like the Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. It is a good choice for deer or wild hogs, as I have experience taking both. It's also comforting to have while hiking or hunting in Bear or Mountain Lion Country. I also used my Super Blackhawk to take a couple of rabbits last year, using light load 44 specials with round nose lead bullets (cowboy loads). Didn't tear up too much meat. It's pretty versatile if you can hit what your shooting at. My favorite 44 mag is the S&W 629, but I still can't help but enjoy the Crank and Yanks made by Ruger.

Sounds like your doing exactly what I bought mine for. What kind of optics do you like and why? I can't decide how to top this gun.

Big Bang

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back