Rock Island 1911's

Rooks1

FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHT!
I WANT WANT WANT a 1911 so bad it hurts. The only problem with wanting a 1911 is the price. I can't just go out and pick up a kimber at will... I have reverted to looking at the Rock Island 1911 models. Does anyone have any thoughts on the particular make of 1911's? Yes, I know that they are Phillipino made. But, however they do accept all parts of a colt 1911... carbon copy so to speak.

I guess what I'm looking for from you all is why not buy a carbon copy colt 1911 for around $400???

I have an RIA and I love it. It's a good weapon, runs like a champ well worth 400.00$

Springfield 1988

I heard the Rock Island was a good entry level 1911, but I went ahead and bought Springfield's GI 1911 for about $600.00 at a Gun Show. I love it! Extremely accurate and reliable. Plus, it came with a holster and a 2 mag ammo carrier. Then I bought 2 extra Colt mags that work perfect with it.

I had one for approx 1 yr, bought it new. No malfunctions of any kind, prob shot at least 500-600 rounds through it. Only complaint is it had the worst finish of any gun I've ever owned, I had to oil it every day, and it still rusted in spots... I do believe they have a stainless model though, that would prob be much better at resisting rust. I would buy one again if I was in the market for a 1911....... But I probably never will be, they just dont shoot well for me.... (and it isnt the recoil) but let me pull out my Browning High Power clone... and I can hit a quarter sized target at 15yds no problem..

I have several they have all been great. They have great customer service if you need it, and a lifetime warranty that they honor for anyone regardless of if your the original owner. I have had to send a couple of them back for minor repairs and have averaged a 2 week turnaround. Mine are as accurate as my Colts and I routinely carry one of them. If you can find a tactical model buy it. It's only $50 or so more and they have all the trick stuff that most users want anyway.

I have a compact model (CS) and I absolutely love it. It is still in the break in stage but has never malfunctioned with the exception of me reassembling it incorrectly (reverse main spring and didnt seat the spring plug). I carry it daily and would recommend it. Sweet little shooter.

The RIA's are nice guns. I'd recommend also looking at the Metro Arms 1911's. There priced competitively with the Rock Islands but are finished nicer.

My son has had his for a year and has been absolutely happy with it.

Link Removed

My experience led me to sell them, both the RIA M1911-A1 and the RIA Tactical.

After 200 rounds they never, ever again ran smoothly. Alway's had a type III failure. the guns would not, under any circumstances, feed the last round or the the last two rounds would double feed. Ammunition was alway's newly manufactured and at times was high end JHP's.

I was using both Wilson 47D mags and CMC Power 8's. The two most reliable mags on the market for a 1911 handgun.

I had high hopes that both guns would provide me with an entry level 1911 that I could shoot and tear apart to learn the 1911 weapon system in it's entirety, but no such luck. I'm not new to 1911's, but I did want to be able to learn how to completely dissasemble them and to tune extractors and such. I did not disasemble them any further than the field strip level, yet they both would not run smoothly enough for me to trust them.

YMMV

I'd pay the extra money and get a GI or MIL-SPEC Springfield Armory, or higher end gun.

I've heard a lot of good things about the ATI 1911's also. And they just happen to be on sale.

Link Removed

When shopping for my 1911, my local gun store employee (who does not work commission) took about 4 minutes to field strip a Kimber retails for $1200, a Springfield , $750. and a RIA, $450. and laid them out piece by piece next to each other. Really showed the similarities, almost identical, the RIA was not as polished a barrel, but the real difference was the ramp and feed, and the ejection pin, and the general internal components. I would advise you to ask the gun shop employee to field strip each model, lay they side by side so you can look and compare. If he won't, don't shop there.

for my 2 cents, I would save up and go with the Springfield.

my EDC is a RIA Tactical full size .45. I have over 1200 rounds through it this year and no issues. I have owned Colt, Springfield, Para's -- they may be prettier, but my RIA just works. 100% out of the box. I suggest you look at the tactical model over the GI -- you will most likely make some upgrades to the GI that are already included in the Tactical and the price difference in the two models is much less than doing the mods yourself.

I've had nothing but a great experance with my RI1911A1 Tactical. Ran great right out of the box and 1100 rounds later still running great. These firearms are very basic in comparison to some other manufactors but a very dependable firearm. I use mine as my daily carry. :pleasantry:

Very happy with mine, full-size goverment nickel. Nice finish, nice shooter.

Parts - yes. Almost anything you find at Brownells or Midway will fit fine.

I have an American classic II with over 2000 rds and not one problem, bought mine for under $400. and I like it better than the RIA.

2fer the Rock

I have a compact model with 1100-1200 rounds and a full sized with 600-700 rounds. Both have been flawless from the first round, the only problems I have encountered have been with crappy reloads. Both are accurate and reliable and for the price, I don't mind a few scratches or dings or holster wear. These are the working dos, not the show dogs :yu:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back