reloading with Berry's

CRW

Who all reloads Berry's ammo? They haven't come out with a recipe chart yet so I have been making my own by taking an average of different brands and staying on the low end. Do any of you have any recipes you'd like to share? I've been loading 115gr jacketed round nose and 124gr hollow base jacketed flat tips for the 9 and 180gr jacketed flat tips for the 40. Been sticking with 3.9gr for the 40 and 4.0gr for the 9 with Hodgdon Titegroup powder and Magtech primers. Accuracy is great so far but I'm sure there's room for improvement. Any suggestions??

I have been using Unique 5.8 grns. 165 FN. Good results in a sig 229. N320 might be a good choice too, that will be my next selection. Because they are plated lead bullets you should load as leaded bullets. Link Removed check out this site for the same price as Berry.

from personal experience you should get every full page of recorded loading data that you save logged. keep everything save everything and make sure you get every page notarized.

I use a full size notebook and I do 3 series of loads per page and then I notarize it. does it cost money yes, but the more info you get on a page the cheaper it is.

reason being when it comes time to go to court bc you used those loads in your firearm for self defense. at least here in washington it won't be accepted into court as evidence because it's considered manufactured evidence.

find a load you like, document it, record it, save it , but notarize it so it becomes a legal document.

I have a good guy here in my county who does it for alot of reloaders. Fill a page, you sign he signs and stamps it. Logs a track number and stamps every box off ammo with the track number. I can look up every round I've ever used or made.

from personal experience you should get every full page of recorded loading data that you save logged. keep everything save everything and make sure you get every page notarized.

I use a full size notebook and I do 3 series of loads per page and then I notarize it. does it cost money yes, but the more info you get on a page the cheaper it is.

reason being when it comes time to go to court bc you used those loads in your firearm for self defense. at least here in washington it won't be accepted into court as evidence because it's considered manufactured evidence.

find a load you like, document it, record it, save it , but notarize it so it becomes a legal document.

I have a good guy here in my county who does it for alot of reloaders. Fill a page, you sign he signs and stamps it. Logs a track number and stamps every box off ammo with the track number. I can look up every round I've ever used or made.

Wesco, that all sound good but why not just use factory ammo for EDC?

I do. However you never know when and where trouble might find you, or in what condition you might be found.

Mine happened to be in the woods target shooting in which I was packing 115 gr 9mm self loads, it was actually two wolves. Me and two buddies had to shoot them while they were charging us. My documented loads weren't accepted in court bc they were not legal documents and were considered manufactured evidence. We were sued by the owners for using non VERIFIABLE ROUNDs in essence bc they had nothing else to go on. Case was dropped bc it was deemed self defense and we were all within legalalities and the animals were illegal and not registered exotic pets, therefore our actions were deemed acceptable, but it still stands to show, ya just never know.

They tried the whole "my dogs might still be alive if"

great info guys, thanks!

I have never heard of any issues with the type of ammo used before, that is interesting.

Who all reloads Berry's ammo? They haven't come out with a recipe chart yet so I have been making my own by taking an average of different brands and staying on the low end. Do any of you have any recipes you'd like to share? I've been loading 115gr jacketed round nose and 124gr hollow base jacketed flat tips for the 9 and 180gr jacketed flat tips for the 40. Been sticking with 3.9gr for the 40 and 4.0gr for the 9 with Hodgdon Titegroup powder and Magtech primers. Accuracy is great so far but I'm sure there's room for improvement. Any suggestions??

Stay on the low to mid range of a jacketed bullet of comparable weight and shape. You will be fine. I have sent thousands of Berrys bullets downrange in .380, 9mm, 10mm, .45acp and .45 colt. They work fine in all those calibers when using the same powders that are listed for standard jacketed bullets.

Just reloaded 100 rounds with Berry's RN-ds, 9mm, 115gr, Winchester Brass, Bullseye 4.6gr, CCI500 primer, expecting 1140velocity, 332 energy. Wish I had a chrono. Runs great through my Sig P250, Walther PPS. No real difference in performance at 21 feet. I think for plinking, you can't beat the price. I bought 2 boxes on sale. I took the average of all that I read and could find.

Disclaimer: It worked for me in my firearms.

thanks Jim and JPG! I usually stay on the low end mostly for accuracy. Seems I always shoot better witha heavy bullet, low powder. Gonna try some out tomorrow that I just loaded.

9mm, 115gr, Winchester Brass, Bullseye 4.6gr, CCI500 primer, expecting 1140velocity, 332 energy. .
If you don't mind. What kind of groups did you get.
I really want to shoot 9mm in competition but everyone keeps telling me I am wasting my time and go with 40 or 45.

The Blue Press, from Dillon, sells this slug and I remember a few times it has been noted of an issue with the Glock barrel. I have not used these in my G22-Gen3,4. Just a thought. The Rem Gr with W-231 has given me very good groups. The .45 acp is a good shoot with Winchester FMJ and JHP with my preferred powder, W-231

I really want to shoot 9mm in competition but everyone keeps telling me I am wasting my time and go with 40 or 45.

This may not help you;
With my P250 - I'm all over the place - with any ammo. The Walther PPS. Rapid fire, 21 ft. center mass, 4", around the X. I love that gun, it will fire anything I put through it.

Side note; When I carry I use only Hornady Critical Duty +P 135grn flexlock.

I think I was at 3.4 / 3.6 / and 3.8 grains of Titegroup with the Berrys 180 gr .40 cal. They worked good for just messing around the range. I would not use these Berrys rounds to make power factor and use them at USPSA matches.

If you are going to shoot in USPSA and are in the production division than 9mm is great. But if you are in the Limited, Limited 10 or maybe Open division than you will have to go with the .40 cal or the .38 super (only the TOP DOGS use the .38 super)

I'm just getting into reloading again after many years of little shooting.
Berry's appears to be much cheaper than full jacketed bullets, but that leads to a quesiton.
I shoot mostly Glocks (17/36) and have heard that lead bullets will foul the octagonal barrels.
Does the copper coating on Berry's bullets provide enough coating to prevent this?

Also, a little off topic but bear with me.
I have about 1500 rds of old 9mm/.45acp reloads. I don't want to shoot them as they are over 25 years old, but would like to recover the brass and reload it. Can I safely decap unfired primers in a progressive reloader or do I need to decap off-line?

I use both Raniers and Berrys bullets, depending upon availability at the time Ineed to order more.
My loads are worked up from Accurate Arms Load manual using AA#5 for the 9mm and AA#9 for the .38 Super.
Accuracy has been just fine.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back