Question About NFA Weapons

Midnight

So while the 1986 ban makes it illegal to possess any new machine guns, automatic weapons made and owned before May 1986 are still legal assuming you file all the proper paperwork and jump through the right hoops. My question is whether the ban also outlaws parts for these weapons. Like if someone had an old M16 that completely broke off a separate part and would need a replacement part, does the 1986 ban state that you can't buy a brand new part that would be needed to fix that weapon?

As I understand it, the parts in common with an AR15 are legal, a tax stamp would be required for things like the sear that are specific to the select fire M16.

All parts that make it full auto are consider a machine gun under the NFA. Selector, trigger, hammer, disconnector and the sear fall under the act. If you have a FA NFA firearm and paid the tax then you can own these items for replacement parts.

Thanks, Red Hat. After I posted, I got that distinct "missed a question" feeling that I hadn't gotten it quite right.

There have been questions as well regarding the bolt carrier group. Some will sell them and others will not. Seems to be a grey area on that one.

There have been questions as well regarding the bolt carrier group. Some will sell them and others will not. Seems to be a grey area on that one.

Not gray at all. The M-16 Bolt Carrier can be used in a AR-15. The BATF determined that without the other parts it is legal to be used in a AR-15. A lot of off the shelf AR's come with a M-16 bolt carrier.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back