Question about Bersa 380

cja1987

Hello,

New to these forums, but have read alot on here. I recently found out that there is a long list of handguns that can not be sold in MA. One of those is the Bersa 380 which I'm thinking of purchasing out here at school in Utah.

I can't seem to find whether these firearms that are not allowed to be sold in the state are illegal to possess as well. I'm assuming I'm allowed to possess the firearm in MA if I purchased in another state.

I can purchase handguns out here with my resident Utah Concealed Carry permit which they issued to me even though I still have a MA Drivers License. Did not even ask to see a utility bill or other proof of residence, they took my word for it.

I still have an in state Class A LTC for MA

Just don't want to buy a gun out here that I can't possess back in MA.

Thanks for any help!

Hello,

New to these forums, but have read alot on here. I recently found out that there is a long list of handguns that can not be sold in MA. One of those is the Bersa 380 which I'm thinking of purchasing out here at school in Utah.

I can't seem to find whether these firearms that are not allowed to be sold in the state are illegal to possess as well. I'm assuming I'm allowed to possess the firearm in MA if I purchased in another state.

I can purchase handguns out here with my resident Utah Concealed Carry permit which they issued to me even though I still have a MA Drivers License. Did not even ask to see a utility bill or other proof of residence, they took my word for it.

I still have an in state Class A LTC for MA

Just don't want to buy a gun out here that I can't possess back in MA.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to USA carry! I am not sure that you can legally bring that firearm back to the state and keep it in your possession here (someone please correct me if i am wrong). If you could do this, why wouldn't people be running to other states to bring in all different types of firearms? If i am wrong please correct me because there are a few I would like to own on that roster haha. If I was you, I would get in touch with a MA firearm attorney. Just my $.02

My non-informed and Mass-illiterate opinion is this:

If you go out of state to buy a gun from a dealer, without providing proper paperwork, buying the gun through an FFL, who would then have to transfer it to another FFL in Mass, that's illegal.

If you can legally buy a gun in Utah through the use of a Utah permit, and a temporary "resident" of Utah, then it's none of Massachusset's business what you bring into the state.

What would happen with my "arsenal" if I had to uproot from Tennessee to move into Mass? Would they check me for compliance at the border?

My non-informed and Mass-illiterate opinion is this:

If you go out of state to buy a gun from a dealer, without providing proper paperwork, buying the gun through an FFL, who would then have to transfer it to another FFL in Mass, that's illegal.

If you can legally buy a gun in Utah through the use of a Utah permit, and a temporary "resident" of Utah, then it's none of Massachusset's business what you bring into the state.

What would happen with my "arsenal" if I had to uproot from Tennessee to move into Mass? Would they check me for compliance at the border?

The bolded part of your post is my situation.

I think you are correct that it is none of MA's business.

In searching another forum, I found that a gentleman with dual NH/MA residency was able to legally purchase a firearm in NH that was a no no in MA. Still filled out a form to declare it to MA but legally, they cant stop it. My understanding of it as of now is that it is basically the same situation as owning a "pre ban" firearm, they won't come to your house and take it but you can't buy another one in state either.

So basically the key question seems to be how do you convince a state that you live there. In the case of UT, all it took is putting the address of my rented apt on my application for a CCW (listed MA drivers license) and they STILL issued me an in state permit. In state permit satisfies any UT FFL dealer.

Will look into this a little further.

Thanks for the replies!

Look into it further?

Sounds to me like you're in full compliance. As for your buddy, why would he declare a "Mass-illegal" gun when he came back? Piss on that. You bought it legally, so the less they know about it, the better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back