Purchase Permit for gun on Loan.

FN1910

My daughter who has recently moved from Columbia, SC to Charlotte, NC mentioned to her mother that she is about ready for me to get her a gun. I am going to ignore all the talk about the other stuff such as need and why she doesn't already have one for now as I will get to that later. :pleasantry:

If I "loan" her one of mine (I live in SC) does she need a purchase permit to have it in her appartment or carry it in her car? Are we supposed to go through a FFL for me to "give" it to her. I am still going to claim ownership of it probably until I kck the bucket.

Now for the other questions. She has shot guns before, not a lot but she can handle one just doesn't have a lot of experience.

Can someone recommend a CHP instructor in the North Charlotte area if I can talk her into getting her CHP?

Out of state transfer requires FFL

Hello,

Whether you loan, sell, lease, rent, etc., the handgun to your daughter, she is a resident of another state. Therefore this is a standard transfer and you will need to send it through an FFL.

If she drives home and you give the gun to her, she CANNOT legally carry it back across state lines. It MUST be brought into the state through an FFL.

Once legally possessed in NC, all the other NC gun laws apply.

Hello,

Whether you loan, sell, lease, rent, etc., the handgun to your daughter, she is a resident of another state. Therefore this is a standard transfer and you will need to send it through an FFL.

If she drives home and you give the gun to her, she CANNOT legally carry it back across state lines. It MUST be brought into the state through an FFL.

Once legally possessed in NC, all the other NC gun laws apply.

So this is transfer across state lines.

What about my case when I move from TX to NC? Do I need to do FFL for my firearms?

Im not a certified CCW instructor, but I was a firearms instructor in the military. I have taught many civilians in the area and several of the local ranges know me personally. If your daughter (or you) feels she needs more experience with firearms I'd be willing to help her free of charge of course.

a friend of mine does teach concealed carry for NC. his website is Link Removed his classes usually cost around $75. but tell him Tony Williamson referred you, he MIGHT work on the price. good luck!

Im not a certified CCW instructor, but I was a firearms instructor in the military. I have taught many civilians in the area and several of the local ranges know me personally. If your daughter (or you) feels she needs more experience with firearms I'd be willing to help her free of charge of course.

a friend of mine does teach concealed carry for NC. his website is Link Removed his classes usually cost around $75. but tell him Tony Williamson referred you, he MIGHT work on the price. good luck!

Thank you for the offer and we may take you up on it. Right now things are hectic but hopefully things will calm down soon and we can work on it. I asked her about her DL and she has not changed her address and still owns her house in Cola so things are cool right now.

So this is transfer across state lines.

What about my case when I move from TX to NC? Do I need to do FFL for my firearms?

If you are a legal resident of Texas, then move to NC then you can just bring your guns. I think 18 USC 922 (a)(3) is what they are referring to when they say it has to go thru an FFL. For instance, if you were a legal resident of NC, went to TX and acquired a gun, then came back to NC that would be illegal.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/us...2----000-.html
(a) It shall be unlawful—
(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State,

So a resident of a state can't go to another state and then bring it back to their home state legally (without going thru an FFL) even if it is a private purchase.

I bought many guns while I lived in Houston (resident of Texas). Brought them back with me to NC and got a NC DL once I established residency. No problem.

So FN1910 cannot just give his daughter a firearm? Interesting indeed.

So, what if say, my father lived in SC and passed away. I then brought all of his belongings, including firearms, back to my home here in NC. That would be illegal too?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back