Proof of Training

Double Ought

New member
Training Exemption?

Though I am sure the CWP classes provide a wealth of information, I am not a wealthy man and would prefer to avoid the expense of a class.

S.C. Code Section 23-31-210(5)(c) specifies that "a person who can demonstrate to the Director of SLED or his designee that he has a proficiency in both the use of handguns and state laws pertaining to handguns" has satisfied the "proof of training" requirement specified in Section 23-31-215(A)(5), regarding the issuance of permits.

Does anyone on here know of someone who has used this to get a permit without taking a class, or meeting one of the other exemptions specified in Section 23-31-210(5)? How did he demonstrate proficiency to the Director? Is there an established procedure? Feel free to PM your response, if you wish. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I don't have a clue...

the training is the basic NRA handgun course, even though sometimes you hear about folks using their military handgun course as a substitute.... then again you still need to pass the written part of the test...

I think the law is written because there always has to be an alternative, even if it is not practical.

With all that said, and this is more shameful to me than anything else.... I learned more in the 8 hour class than I had in the previous 40+ years of gun handling and shooting. Back in 2005 when I took the class, it cost me $135 but that included the $50 to the state and the instructors did the filing and posting and made sure you filled out the form right. I still to this day say and tell them that they did not charge nearly enough ($85) for what they did.

I'd save up and take the class, but I would also find someone who not only teaches the class and give you the test but also helps you fill out the form right and sends it all in for you.
From SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.

(5) “Proof of training” means an original document or certified copy of the document supplied by an applicant that certifies that he is either:

(a) a person who, within three years before filing an application, has successfully completed a basic or advanced handgun education course offered by a state, county, or municipal law enforcement agency or a nationally recognized organization that promotes gun safety. This education course must be a minimum of eight hours and must include, but is not limited to:

(i) information on the statutory and case law of this State relating to handguns and to the use of deadly force;

(ii) information on handgun use and safety;

(iii) information on the proper storage practice for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that reduces the possibility of accidental injury to a child; and

(iv) the actual firing of the handgun in the presence of the instructor;

(b) an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association or another SLED approved competent national organization that promotes the safe use of handguns;

(c) a person who can demonstrate to the Director of SLED or his designee that he has a proficiency in both the use of handguns and state laws pertaining to handguns;

(d) an active duty police handgun instructor;

(e) a person who has a SLED certified or approved competitive handgun shooting classification; or

(f) a member of the active or reserve military, or a member of the National Guard who has had handgun training in the previous three years.
SLED shall promulgate regulations containing general guidelines for courses and qualifications for instructors which would satisfy the requirements of this item. For purposes of subitems (a) and (b), “proof of training” is not satisfied unless the organization and its instructors meet or exceed the guidelines and qualifications contained in the regulations promulgated by SLED pursuant to this item.

...aren't (a) and (c) essentially the same thing?

And it seems that (f) doesnt think discharged military isn't good enough if its over 3 yrs old?
SLED is set up to process packets of documents from people who have taken the instructor courses.
I doubt if you can do it on your own. If you can it will probably take a couple of years to get all the necessary permissions from the head honchos.
Remember you have to pass the written test, the shooting test, and submit your fingerprints.
My husband and I am happy with out NRA Basic and CCW combined courses that this year, we gifted our youngest son an NRA/CCW combined course. My husband and my courses only charged us $115 with all the guns used and ammo used free. For our CCW shooting exams, hubby and I decided to use our own handguns and they replaced the ammo we spent on it. For our son, we made a mistake of not enrolling him in the same unit hubby and I did and he ended us with a paranoid instructor (as he told us) and I paid $160 for his. We felt sorry for our son though -- we could have waited for Wally to give us a call...he could have learned one on one for the same price?? maybe cheaper...with good pragmatic instructors.
I know of several people that have gone that route but they were SC LEOs (Sheriffs and City Police) that have either quit, retired or went uncompensated.

Remember that the written test does cover SC specific laws.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Latest member