Pres. fails to salute Marine while boarding Marine 1...

E

ezkl2230

I know the tradition began with Reagan and there is no requirement that the Pres. return the salute, but when you couple this with him requiring a Marine to hold an umbrella for him recently, he is showing more and more contempt for our armed forces - the Marines in particular.

I understand what you're saying but personally it would annoy the piss out of me if I was on helo duty (idk what it's actually called) and he saluted me back. He's never served in the armed forces, and even if he had you don't salute out of uniform, and we (Marines) never salute without a cover. It's like civilians saluting me when I'm off base in Charlie's or something. I appreciate the respect but it just irks me. When you see an officer in civys and salute him he doesn't salute back, that's just the way it is.

Actually, one can salute out of uniform (active duty and veterans) during flag ceremonies and the playing of the national anthem. Changes were made in '08 & '09 to allow this, but many still haven't heard of this change. Some old vets like the change, others hate it.

I understand what you're saying but personally it would annoy the piss out of me if I was on helo duty (idk what it's actually called) and he saluted me back. He's never served in the armed forces, and even if he had you don't salute out of uniform, and we (Marines) never salute without a cover. It's like civilians saluting me when I'm off base in Charlie's or something. I appreciate the respect but it just irks me. When you see an officer in civys and salute him he doesn't salute back, that's just the way it is.

As I said, Reagan was the one who began doing it. Before doing so, he spoke with the commandant of the Marine Corps, who told him exactly what you are saying - that because Reagan wasn't in uniform, the salute wasn't required. However, he also noted that, as the Commander-in-Chief of the military, it was Reagan's prerogative to begin the practice if he so desired - regardless of standing regulations - or to create a new regulation. As I said at the beginning, I understand that the practice isn't required by military law or tradition. It IS, however, a presidential tradition since Reagan.

I doubt very seriously that Obama is the one that required the Marine to hold the umbrella that was probably the protocol long before it ever happened.

As for the salute, that seems pretty machs nix to me. I doubt I would notice one way or the other.

As for me saluting out of uniform, I happen to work just North of PAFB in Colorado Springs, one day I was working late and at precisely 1558 they played “To the Colors” and at precisely 1600 “Retreat”; with out even giving it a conscious I snapped to and saluted.

Some habits die hard

I would say what I always do about this kind if thing - there are real, legitimate, serious reasons to question this president and his administration and picking at little stuff like this just trivializes debates over the big stuff. I doubt a Marine needed to be told to hold that umbrella and doubt any of them are feeling depressed at the lack of a returned salute.

I have always thought that ALL presidential candidates should have served (Honorably) in the Active U.S.military.
But, seeing as how they did a end run around the US citizen requirement, they'll never do this.
Besides, most politicians are "too good" to join up...

Ever see the movie 'Starship Troopers' ?
No military, no citizenship, no vote.

Link Removed

Careful what you wish for lol

Link Removed

I have always thought that ALL presidential candidates should have served (Honorably) in the Active U.S.military.
But, seeing as how they did a end run around the US citizen requirement, they'll never do this.
Besides, most politicians are "too good" to join up...

Ever see the movie 'Starship Troopers' ?
No military, no citizenship, no vote.

And Bush Jr. did and end run around his contract. Seems like we haven't had a veteran since Bush, Sr and probably will never have one again. Maybe that's precisely the left's intent...to get only candidates who have not served and cannot possibly know the value of what they are trying to destroy,

As for me saluting out of uniform, I happen to work just North of PAFB in Colorado Springs, one day I was working late and at precisely 1558 they played “To the Colors” and at precisely 1600 “Retreat”; with out even giving it a conscious I snapped to and saluted.

Some habits die hard
Last time I was on a base at that time of day I stopped what I was doing too. That had an affect on the military guys because they didn't expect it from a civilian. Living on base for some years is as you said, a hard habit to break when it comes to flag lowering.

Howdy,

During a 1/3 of my military time I wore civilian clothes on duty and it was normal not to salute while in civvies.

At the same time if an officer was present, especially a Major/Lt. Commander or above you stood at attention unless you were told to relax or parade rest.

If you/they were walking by you nodded respectfully and said "Good morning/afternoon/evening/night Sir/Ma'am." without saluting.

Paul

Surprised someone hasn't posted the pic of 4 presidents under held umbrellas yet. No one thought there was anything wrong with it for Regan and the Bush boys.

Link Removed

And, the President did realize he messed up and came out of the helicopter before it left to shake the Marine's hand. None of this Presidential saluting back is official stuff - wasn't even started until Ronny Reagan started doing it...

Sometimes, pictures can say it all!

Link RemovedLink Removed
Why did you have to clean-up gunny's language? :lol:

Been to several changing of the guard and vehicle tours of ANC, while I was there. The resting place has a reverence and spiritual aura that must be felt to fully comprehend the honor and sacrifice. I missed the presentation of the wreath while I was there, unfortunately.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back