Preparedness Library

W

wolfhunter

We all know to stockpile food, water, fuel, ammo, etc. but do we have a reference library? Do we plan on surviving based on what we remember? Will we be able to "pull ourselves up" after a SHTF situation knocks us down?

My library includes:
MCRP 3-01A, FM 3-05, FM 3-11-4, 3-25.26, FM 5-31, FM 5-103, FM 7-1, FM 7-8, FM 7-15, FM 20-3, FM 21-76, FM 21-76-1, FM 23-10, FM 31-70, FM 90-40, How to Survive The End Of The World As We Know It, the set of Complete Handyman Do-it-Yourself encyclopedias, Food Remedies, Green Pharmacy, and miscellaneous books on Hunting strategies, food plot techniques, etc.

We're going to have a lot on our minds, let's have reference materials handy.

I have a number of survival books, a book on food storage called Stocking UP 111, Back To Basics, a number of different how to books, first aid books and others of this kind. I also have most of the old American Survival Guide magazines as well as a number of Backwoods Home magazine.

Awesome Library Wolfhunter!

Mine has a lot of the same plus digital copies of about 60ish Military field manuals from Special Forces Medic to Canadian Sniper Sustainment training.

You definitely have me beat on the how to manuals and handy man guides.

Mine has a lot of the same plus digital copies of about 60ish Military field manuals from Special Forces Medic to Canadian Sniper Sustainment training.

You definitely have me beat on the how to manuals and handy man guides.

I picked up three volumes of the Handyman encyclopedia, one of which was the TOC for the set, at a yard sale. My wife kept looking at the interesting topics and found the set on ebay. The Field Manuals started out as .pdfs that got printed out. Most of the others came from book club discount orders.

You guys should check out Scribd ..I have found everything from technical (IT) manuals to SHTF info and Military FMs out there....very cool source, free downloads. :pleasantry:

Mine is tilted slightly differently.

Lots of reloading,
Lots of food preparation and preservation,
Lots of books on local wild edibles,
Lots of books on gardening, gathering, hunting,
Lots of water collection, purification, plumbing,
Lots of technical manuals for fixing things, machining parts, repairing vehicles, repairing farm equipment, test procedures, ect.
Several books on distilling alcohol, bio diesel, essential oils, making your own bleach, ammonia, refining salts and sodas,
Making soap, and other household staples I currently buy,
Since I can makes some pretty potent acids, books on leather tanning, metal etching, use and storage of chemicals that would otherwise be 'Dangerous'...
Lots of volumes on electrical and electronics, welding, solar power, rewinding/repairing electric motors, turning electric motors into generators, building simple radios and electrical devices like welders and EDM units (Electric Discharge Machining), stuff like that.
Volumes on building test equipment, test fixtures, jigs to build things...

Just stuff to keep my contraptions/farm equipment working and coming up with something else I don't really need! :no:

I would think for the SHTF type guys, hard copies would be better than digital, since an EMP/Full On Cyber Attack, breakdown of the web would erase everything...
Or make it difficult to access.
Something as simple as a dead batteries leave you without your information...

I like paper copies since I can carry them to the shop, read on the crapper, draw in my designs and notes as I'm reading/working...
I'm 'Old School' and fingering the page is important to me.

Lots of volumes on electrical and electronics, welding, solar power, rewinding/repairing electric motors, turning electric motors into generators, building simple radios and electrical devices like welders and EDM units (Electric Discharge Machining), stuff like that.

This is where I wish I could learn more and get some stronger skills...

i can vouch for it!!

You guys should check out Scribd ..I have found everything from technical (IT) manuals to SHTF info and Military FMs out there....very cool source, free downloads. :pleasantry:

it is a great site. got gardening,medical, WWII manuals of all kinds, just join and get busy downloading. get a flashdrive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This stuff needs to be in your head before SHTF, otherwise, there's not going to be any time to get it in there.

A good foundation in chemistry also might be good to have. There's some things that you just can't buy at any gun show.

I have a few shelves of hard copy prep-type books on various skills. Most of it picked up as used books at the local library book sale
The bulk of my prep reference stuff is in digits form, kept on a thumbdrive and built up over the past few years as I have shared the collection with others and they've sent along their own collections to add to my own. I know the arguments about EMP and how anything electronic would be junk. I figure theres just as many scenarios where its better to have the information available and organized should I need to reference it

I have a fairly good reference library of stuff in digital form, but I am revisiting the question of which things to have in hardcopy.

I think I have defense covered, and communications, but I have a need for a better first aid book and one on trapping
small animals (including what to look for - like disease or parasites - that might mean you don't want to eat that one).

I have a fairly good reference library of stuff in digital form, but I am revisiting the question of which things to have in hardcopy.

I think I have defense covered, and communications, but I have a need for a better first aid book and one on trapping
small animals (including what to look for - like disease or parasites - that might mean you don't want to eat that one).
For first aid topics I would say that your best bet is to stick to basic first aid.
More than likely that's the level of gear you would actually have
Your basic military medical first aid texts would likely suffice for that
I don't trap and don't plan to trap because I am situated in a small village without a good locale for that.
My hard copy books run the gamut of skills, whether it be gardening, home repair, carpentry, stone work, NBC, weapons, etc

One of these days I'll have to do a list of those books so I actually know what I have or holes I have in the collection.
Previous to my recent move a lot of them were in cold storage or spread over several bookcases.
I used the move to consolidate my various types of books into distinct locations in the house
Guess that's a good project for the winter months.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back