Possible CWP dangers

dfitch1211

One of the guys I work with applied for his CWP. Recently, he's started to make some questionable remarks about situations.
Examples:
He was in a car accident a few hours before work. When he got to work, he was explaining how the driver at fault was unlicensed and borrowing the car. My coworker made the statement: "He's lucky I didn't have my gun with me, I probably would've shot him."
A few days ago, we were discussing a recent news story about a man stopping some purse snatches. He made the comment that he would've just shot them and been done with it. Even after I pointed out that the man wasn't in a life threatening situation, he stuck to his just shoot 'em stance.

Should I report it or is it nothing to worry about? Just the things he says and does gives me the sense that he has this hero complex and he'll rush into situations without thinking. Possibly being a legal liability and even a danger to himself or others.

I don't have anything against him, I've gone to the range with him a couple times and we even went to the CWP class together.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using USA Carry mobile app

I'd suggest going to a "law of the gun" class together if you can find one. Then you can ask a lawyer tons of pointed questions that all end with your "shoot them all" friend going to jail for the rest of his life.

And I wouldn't be going anywhere with him. Sounds like he'd drag me in to a mess I couldn't get out of safely. The only people I've ever heard talk like that don't even own guns.

What would you report and to whom would you report "it"? Sounds like the guy is saber rattling his CWP before he even gets it. Just tell him to cool his heels and that he could get himself into some very serious trouble if he shoots off his gun instead of shooting off his mouth. They call him the "mall ninja". Don't be surprised if he gets himself one of those concealed carry badges.

Unfortunately there is nothing to report, he hasn't broken a law. Morally I would remind him about rules of engagement, but other than that, I'd avoid him... Whatever he does is on his head.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

We all have the freedom of speech, I have a good buddy that is like that, but he is slowly coming around to reality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope all of you are right.
Personally, I think he's on some power trip.
@JimTh. He bought one over the weekend and showed it to me today. At this point, I don't know if I should be disappointed or amazed by the crap he believes.

I hope all of you are right.
Personally, I think he's on some power trip.
@JimTh. He bought one over the weekend and showed it to me today. At this point, I don't know if I should be disappointed or amazed by the crap he believes.

I have seen some who seem to believe that their CCL or CWP makes them a LEO. Most have adapted well and now are responsible CC'ers but there will always be some who get on this power trip. They think that they are the meanest SOB in the valley. Hope your friend does not fall in this category.

It will be someone like your friend who will be the anti's poster child if he does something stupid!

I don't know which is more annoying... those who suddenly get "courage" and think their carry permit now makes them some kind of bad ass ready to whip out their magical mystical "element of surprise" ...

or

those who think their carry permit makes them some kind of protector of the weak and the sheepdog responsible for keeping all the innocent safe from the bad guys.

To me, my opinion only, both suffer from delusions of grandeur.

There are warriors, true warriors, amongst us who would run to the sound of a fight and are quite capable of addressing a situation but those warriors don't strut around making lots of noise about how big a bad ass they are nor do they rely on a carry permit or a gun to give them courage. True warriors (of which I am not) just go get the job done.

And the true warriors to which I refer are in all walks of life. Some are LEO's, some are bus drivers, some are retired old farts, some sit behind a desk all day, and some are your next door neighbors. Odds are you and I are not even aware of who are true warriors............. until they are needed.

One of the guys I work with applied for his CWP. Recently, he's started to make some questionable remarks about situations.
Examples:
He was in a car accident a few hours before work. When he got to work, he was explaining how the driver at fault was unlicensed and borrowing the car. My coworker made the statement: "He's lucky I didn't have my gun with me, I probably would've shot him."
A few days ago, we were discussing a recent news story about a man stopping some purse snatches. He made the comment that he would've just shot them and been done with it. Even after I pointed out that the man wasn't in a life threatening situation, he stuck to his just shoot 'em stance.

Should I report it or is it nothing to worry about? Just the things he says and does gives me the sense that he has this hero complex and he'll rush into situations without thinking. Possibly being a legal liability and even a danger to himself or others.

I don't have anything against him, I've gone to the range with him a couple times and we even went to the CWP class together.

Slight adjustment on an old saying---"sticks and stones can break your bones but words can never harm you". This guy "talks a big talk", but he probably has never and will never "walk that big walk" he is so proud of espousing. Usually it is these type that run away first. "Woulda coulda shoulda"--he has not done anything-fageddaboutit.

Examples:

Depending on what job the two of you do together, there is really nothing to report. If you work security, law enforcement, or some other similar job, you may want to think about telling a higher up, especially if he will be partnering with you.

Ask yourself this question too, "If he does shoot someone without justifiable cause and you are called to testify to his character in court, what will you say?". This might be a good conversation starter for him to cool his jets. I for one, would let him burn in court.

I certainly would not be hanging around someone who talks like this. Be a man, go directly to him, and let him know that his kind of talk is a liability to your friendship. Find out if he truly feels this way. If he does, end the friendship. He's pretty much saying he would murder people for bad driving and purse snatching.

What would you report and to whom would you report "it"? Sounds like the guy is saber rattling his CWP before he even gets it. Just tell him to cool his heels and that he could get himself into some very serious trouble if he shoots off his gun instead of shooting off his mouth. They call him the "mall ninja". Don't be surprised if he gets himself one of those concealed carry badges.
Hey hey hey...you got something against the concealed carry badge? I got me a nifty little wallet for it and everything. Whip that baby out every time I get pulled over ;)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back