Point Shooting

Taking the time to find the sight?
Buddy you better be doing some practice presenting your weapon. After a short time the sights will be there.

I learned to point shoot when I had to get glasses with bi-bifocals. Seems more natural as well. In a critical situation,that is most likely what you would need to do anyway. imho.

100% on point, in my very humble opinion....

There's also the added fact that you'd better be prepared to explain to a newly hired ADA needing to add scalps to their lodge-pole, as to the reasons you considered yourself to be in a 'life threatening' situation, if your target is more than 10-15 feet in distance from you.

As evident in the Bernie Getz case in NYC some years back, and very recently, Mr Zimmerman here in my home state. You may be right in all ways, and they'll still come at you, and try real hard to convict you.

If at all possible, use a phone to call 911, BEFORE you ever use deadly force. IF you have time to do so. GZ even did that however, and look at the situation he's in today.

Your best SD weapons, are always your brain, common sense, and your feet....If it looks like it may go real bad, do your dead level best to get away from it, and let the LEOs handle it.

FLc
You may not be shooting at distances greater than 10-15 feet, but you'd best be getting ready to shoot, i.e., drawing your weapon, before they get to within 29-25 feet of you...

there is no way you could ever be faster if taking the time to find a sight! I can draw and point shoot from a retention position at my hip. as I am raising the gun up I have gotten 3 shots off before the gun is even high enough to find the sights. the only way an innocent gets hit is if the bullet goes through the initial target.

What size target? At what distance?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Instincts are amazing.

Point shoot or instinct shooting has been used since there has been handguns, knowing your weapon and how it reaches out to touch someone is the most important aspect to saving your life when needed.
The bodies instincts can be amazing when allowed to be used naturally, our overwhelming desire to be on target with tight groups produces stress that alters our natural instincts and impairs our ability to do what is needed in difficult situations.
Mossad trained their operative to look down the barrel period and fire. To become acustom to not using the sites on a weapon for the speed gained in returning fire.
It takes a little to get use to because of all the training most have had regarding target acqusition, but you will be amazed with what you can do, relax.

I forget the years of the research; it was a major police department. And the evidence was very clear.
When interviewing the leo and asking them to recall the detail of the shooting. Those that remember focusing on the front sight before pressing the trigger had one shot stops. Those that did not had misses and firing many rounds.

'Point shooting' with a pistol, is the only way I ever 'trained' and learned to shoot.

I long ago found, that in almost all cases, if you point your index finger at something, especially something at a distance of 15 feet or less, that you'll be dead on your target within an inch or so.

If you train yourself to use your pistol as an 'extension' of your index finger, then the round will always hit very close to where you are pointing.

In almost all cases, you're not going to have time to assume a two-handed range shooting position, and time is often critical.

I also usually fire three rounds in very quick succession...the first will tell me where I'm hitting, the second two will be adjustments if necessary.

In distances of eight or less feet, shooting from belt level is something else that can give you a critical edge.

If you do have enough time to 'aim', keep both of your eyes full open, needed for depth perception, and use only your front sight...if it's on your target at ten feet or less, you're not going to miss.

Stay safe and vigilant. And PRACTICE...even if only drawing and dry-firing fairly often, until it all becomes muscle memory

FLc

If you try and find the first round that you fire on target you may end up DEAD. It is not the same as looking at a paper target that will show up as a hole that you can see. A round to the torso with a shirt and or a coat on will show nothing but a small pucker at the instant of impact. If you think that you will see a blood spot this is also wrong as the time it takes for one to show may cost you your life.I have trained many thousands of people both in the military and the Police Department's where I worked and always showed the people the 3 shot method of 2 in the chest and 1 in the head by instinct shooting. I did not train for the use of sights unless it was for a qualifying score as per the Attorney Generals rules and regulations. If you follow the principle of throwing a baseball you will understand that the sights are not needed up close. Look at what you want to shoot and bring up the weapon to eye level and pull the trigger. The shot will be on target within a 6 inch area. 2 taps to the chest then look at the face and pull the trigger again.
With a little bit of practice you will be amazed at how well you can do with pure instinct. Again this is self defense shooting that is done up close when the **** hits the fan it is not for a score other then to save your life.
Bill

I am going to give you a tip for accuracy point shooting It becomes very easy with practice. I aim the same way as a blowgun (5 ft coldsteel .62 big bore blowgun is my choice) Right now take that pen in your hand and point it like a gun and just look over it eventually your eyes will see 2 images of the pen (this gets almost immediate with practice) now if you put your target dead center of those 2 images that is where your bullet will go plus or minus a inch. With this method you could take my sights for all I care.

Anyone got any other point shoot tips?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back