Pocket guns

cluznar

I am seeing more and more people at the range with small pocket guns. I'm talking Beretta Nano, Beretta Bobcat .22lr, Kel Tec P-32 .32 acp, Taurus PT 22, etc. Seems like people are getting tired of carrying IWB and OWB. I've had two guys tell me their wives switched from compact guns to the Beretta Bobcat .22lr because it is more comfortable carrying it in a pocket or purse. But even guys are starting to carry more pocket guns. I have a friend who usually carries a Bersa Thunder .380 but has bought a Kel Tec P-32 and says he carries it most of the time, leaving the Bersa at home.

I think it is a nice idea to have a pocket gun that you can just throw in your pocket (in a pocket holster) and go out the door.
How many here have a pocket gun?

A j frame in the pocket is 'comforting' and 'comfortable', to paraphrase Clint. It is my 'always' gun, in addition to anything else I may carry.

Easy to carry

I think it is a nice idea to have a pocket gun that you can just throw in your pocket (in a pocket holster) and go out the door.
How many here have a pocket gun?[/QUOTE]

I have a Ruger LCP that I carry fairly often just for the ease of concealment. Very practical if I am dressed up for church or running to the store.

I have a Ruger LCP & a Sig238. My everyday carry gun is something in 45 ACP. But when I need to CONCEAL, I have the option of carrying one of these.
If I have to go into a bad part of the city, I may carry one of these as a BUG.

I've become a sucker for pocket guns. Wanted a Colt Mustang .380 when their ad blitz hit for a year but couldn't find one anywhere - they were advertising but not manufacturing. Then wanted a Beretta PICO .380. Same thing as Colt. Lots of advertising and no manufacturing. (what a waste of ad money!)

In all the searching I've found Sig P238 and Sig P938 and last week added a Glock 42....yup, went back to Glock after being "Glock Free" just to get another pocket gun.

Also have two North American mini revolvers - a .22LR and a .22 Magnum.

The appeal to me is the easy concealability

Just received my CHCL and bought a S&W BodyGuard 380. Easy to conceal as I get use to carrying and not feel like everyone can see it. As I get more confident I will go up to my Ruger LC9 and as I buy and try different holsters, I will carry others I have yet to buy.

I am in the process of researching a pocket gun to buy, but mine is going to fill more of a backup gun role/lightweight role to me. A pocket gun wont ever replace my daily carry (go to) gun, but something i can quickly toss in a pocket for quick runs to the store or at the beach/pool, etc.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

For a discussion on 380s, see http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/43626-what-s-best-380-a.html:

Taurus 738 TCP with the +1 magazine extension from Galloway Precision (makes it 7+1), the Crimson Trace Laserguard, and Nitesiters Handgun Night Sights (photo-luminescent adhesive dots).

In contrast to most pocket 380s, this one locks back after the last round is fired. The trigger pull is long and has a a reasonable weight. The gun is hammer fired and the hammer is internal. The operation is like a striker-fired gun, i.e., you have to pre-cock the hammer by racking the slide and the trigger pull is consistent. There is no manual safety. It is lightweight enough for me to carry it while jogging (IWB, 4 o'clock, 5-10 km distances).

Howdy,

I'll pass on the underpowered pocket pistols in .22LR, .32 or .380

My EDC is a Glock 23 .40S&W that I carry OWB at 3:00 in a Glock holster.

That's my "little" gun. If I'm not carrying my G23 I'm carrying either a Glock 35 .40S&W, a 1911A1 .45 or a Glock 20 10mm.

Very rarely I will carry a Kel-Tek PF-9mm. I call it my "Junkyard Gun" because I wear it when I go to the Pick-N-Pull junkyard in Little Rock. I carry it because I'm always climbing into, over, under, etc cars, trucks, SUVs, etc.

But I carry it OWB at 3:00.

Here's a link to a video where a S.C. Deputy shot a 70yo man during a routine traffic stop.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_9GuuFiFwVI

The 70yo man was disabled and was getting a walking cane for out of the bed of his truck when he was shoot multiple times with a 9mm by the deputy. The 70yo man wasn't in "fight or flight" mode, wasn't high on drugs and was stone sober. Even after being shoot at lest twice the man never went down and just leaned against the side of his truck and calmly talked to the deputy.

Paul

My Sig P938 in an Alabama kydex pocket holster works well in cargo pants or looser fitting slacks. A pleated front pant helps concealment. Most days I use a IWB though during winter, as I wear jeans a lot, and it is not ideal in pocket.

There is certainly the caliber debate, the capacity debate, the sight radius debate, and the barrel length debate, when it comes to pocket guns. My 380 Taurus 738 TCP fulfills a specific purpose with its 13 ounces of loaded weight, as a jogging gun in the humid Tennessee summer. In comparison, the Glock 23 weights about 27 ounces loaded, i.e., more than twice as much. Some calibers are underpowered, but they still beat carrying nothing. Always carry the biggest caliber, capacity, and sight radius, and barrel length you are comfortable with. Don't carry off-body.

My LCP is my constant companion. I may carry a bigger 45acp or 40SW. But, the more I carry the LCP, the more I see it as my PCW.

Even when I have a bigger firearm AIWB, my natural instinct is to keep my hand in my pocket especially when standing. Because I do this "naturally",my LCP is more accessible than ANY firearm carried IWB.

A pistol in your pocket (that you already have your hand on), enables you to turn the tables on a BG in the fastest way possible. To know this, all you have to do is get someone to time your presentation of each. (Two rounds of 380acp CM in +/-1sec is better than a larger caliber round that you may not be able to utilize.)

To me, carrying a pistol in my pocket makes good sense!

-

now that jacket weather is going away, i'll have to start carrying my TCP in it's pocket holster. usually carry it in an IWB @ 12:30 or 4, depending on what i'm doing. easy to conceal IWB under a loose shirt when i need the pocket.

Beretta 21A. My wife will carry/shoot it, so that is what is important to me. Pocket pistols are intended for up close work, not firing range distances. Sure, big calibers will kill, but so will small calibers. A few 22 LR slugs in your face will ruin your day. Just my opinion.

I have to agree LD50, I watched a video online where a guy used a small .22lr pistol and put 4 rounds thru a 2x4 at 13 feet. Now that should be enough to stop someone, and you can put 2 or 3 rounds in them very fast. I also believe the .32 acp is over-looked too much. This country should grab on to the .32 acp as a carry gun. Loaded with fmj a .32 acp will go thru 4 layers of denim and get 14 inches penetration in gel, saw it online in a video. People that want an excellent gun with little recoil really need to get a .32 acp.

I have to agree LD50, I watched a video online where a guy used a small .22lr pistol and put 4 rounds thru a 2x4 at 13 feet. Now that should be enough to stop someone, and you can put 2 or 3 rounds in them very fast. I also believe the .32 acp is over-looked too much. This country should grab on to the .32 acp as a carry gun. Loaded with fmj a .32 acp will go thru 4 layers of denim and get 14 inches penetration in gel, saw it online in a video. People that want an excellent gun with little recoil really need to get a .32 acp.

There is a newish round that is even better... .32 magnum

I pocket carry a Kahr CM9 everywhere I am legally allowed to carry. This is a sub-compact 9mm.

Wearing mostly pleated khaki Dockers, there is never any concern about printing. Most men carry various items, cell phone, pocket knife, mini LED flashlight, keys, etc, in their pockets, so a slight amount of bulk in one's pocket is not worrisome to anyone.

(Excuse me, ... I had to pause in writing this to answer my front door. A religious cult passing out literature. I was able to share that, according to the Bible, salvation is found in no one else, that there is only one name, under heaven, given among men by which to be saved, and that saving name is Jesus, not Jehovah! See Acts 4:12).

I wear mostly knit shirts or dress shirts tucked into my pants, sometimes a sports coat or a suit coat, and will often remove the coat, so carry in a IWB holster is not practical. The only other viable option for me would be an ankle holster.

Pocket carry works for me!

Oh, FYI, I am a "pistol-packing parson"!!!

Agree with the points on the pocket carry option. The smaller .380 variants (LCP, TCP, etc) are smaller and thinner and lighter than the sub-compact 9's and fit into various pocket carry methods easier. If your pockets are large enough for a sub-compact 9, then that is an excellent choice. If not, the .380 is only a little less powerful and fits in the available smaller space. For me, the TCP ends up being used around 30-40% of the time due to it's ability to fit into my apparel choices easily.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back