Pocket 380

yippeekiyay20

I'm in the market for a pocket 380 that I can virtually take with me wherever I go, no matter what attire I'm wearing (work, casual, formal, athletic, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the 380 class I switch between Taurus's TCP and Sig P238. TCP is lightest and easiest, P238 is best.
TCP gets carried when chances of getting it scratched and dirty.
Link Removed
Link Removed

Ruger LCP or the M&P Bodyguard 380. I own the Bodyguard 380 that came out before the M&P designation (still has Insight laser) and it disappears in my pocket.

I like the bodyguard looks, reliability, size and grip. The only reason I didn't get it was the safety seemed like it was a snag point and the laser also seemed awkward to activate quickly if needed. I would still get one if I found a inexpensive used one, even though I don't need anymore 380's.

I feel very confident carrying this little guy. Front pocket with a pocket holster.
Very comfortable, forget it's in there. Only difference is, I usually carry my change
in that pocket.

My vote is for the TCP...

Did I see where a poster said they carry the TCP when the situation might produce some scratches and/or dirt...???? Oh geez... SMH.

As I recently posted I have the TCP. I like it and it has been reliable over 4 years until recently when the ejector broke. Am about to find out how Taurus' customer service and lifetime warranty perform.

My vote is for the TCP...

Did I see where a poster said they carry the TCP when the situation might produce some scratches and/or dirt...???? Oh geez... SMH.

Well yes, I don't worry nearly as much as scratching up my P238. $200 vs $550. Also polymer vs steel. Although the laser on the TCP was almost as much as the gun. I still prefer the laser on the TCP , but the P238 also came with one that was only installed for 2 min. Then removed from then on. Just didn't like it in the Sig.
The laser grips on the Sig 1911 C3 though I like a lot.

Well yes, I don't worry nearly as much as scratching up my P238. $200 vs $550. Also polymer vs steel. Although the laser on the TCP was almost as much as the gun. I still prefer the laser on the TCP , but the P238 also came with one that was only installed for 2 min. Then removed from then on. Just didn't like it in the Sig.
The laser grips on the Sig 1911 C3 though I like a lot.

I'm bustin' your balls... It's your weapon, so do with it whatever you wish. I have a few firearms I would hate to scuff up... a carry weapon isn't one of them but, y'know... different strokes. I treat my carry/duty/gunfight weapons like I treat my truck, I beat the sh!t out of them in accordance with their intended use. You should see how badly I treat my AKs, heh.

I'm in the market for a pocket 380 that I can virtually take with me wherever I go, no matter what attire I'm wearing (work, casual, formal, athletic, etc.).

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I haven't had the best of luck with shooting the cheaper little polymer guns, and I wouldn't trust them with my life. I would go with a higher quality .380 like the Sig P238 or Colt Pocketlite but those are pricy and are single action only and so would require more training and practice.

If you must get one of the cheap little polymer wonders then choose between the Taurus TCP, Ruger LCP and the new S&W Bodyguard (without the built in laser). They are all roughly about the same quality to me and have the same lousy triggers, give or take a bit. The Kahr CW380 is better quality and double action only with a better trigger and would probably be your best bet in that type of pocket pistol.

I've had the Sig Sauer P238. It's a great little gun. Shoots so straight and was very comfortable to shoot. My only problem is I am not accustomed to a 1911 frame with an external safety. I was doing holster drills and on a few occasions neglected to click the safety. (I carried condition one). It was after those incidences I decided on a quest to find a .380 that didn't have an external safety. I was going to get the Ruger LCP, but my firearms dealer told me to hold off until January of this year. He said that Glock was coming out with one, the G42.

I'm glad I waited. With my big hands I can't stand most .380's. But I really like the G42. I can't say it shoots as well as the P238, but it does shoot better than the TCP (I've shot a friends) and the LCP (also shot a friends). The G42 is only a 1/2 inch longer (front to rear) than the P238 and is the same distance from slide to mag well. Also, the trigger guard is larger on the G42 making it easier to shoot in cold weather with gloves. In addition the G42 also goes into slide lock. A feature some .380's do not do after last shot.

Here's a post I did on it with pictures of the G42 next to the P238. Link Removed

I see the G42 is longer, is it also thicker ? To me anything larger than 238, I'd probably just go with the 938. I carry cocked & locked and have no problem with the safety, except once on a officer size 1911 and it was condition 0.
However as I sit here writing this I have a TCP w/ ct laser IWB and a folding KaBar clipped in weak side pocket

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back