Pilot with a CCW 'forgets' he is packing a loaded gun

Oregon Vet

NRA Life Since 03/1985
How many of you 'forget' you are packing a loaded gun? This is a left hand/right hand deal it seems. Probably he is a pilot who is allowed to have a gun in the cockpit when he is driving the plane. I am guessing he was probably flying somewhere else as a passenger and never thought about his gun being in his carry-on bag.

IF that is what happened, then they have two standards. When he is driving the plane they trust him to have a gun in the cockpit with him.

BUT, if he is being a passenger, then they can NOT trust him with a gun OR the rules say he can't pack it as a passenger.

That is one scenario of what could have taken place. The article doesn't give enough details.

Ah... the government and its rules and regulations. Strange. I would like to know if that was what happened. They sure arrested him. They sure mentioned he has a CCW also. It doesn't say they took it and kept it. I think I remember reading if one of us is caught like that, that they take your gun and CCW and return the CCW to your local Sheriff. Is that correct?

Just thought it was interesting.

Ken

061210 0410

Delta Pilot Arrested With Loaded Gun At Airport

Devetta Blount Link Removed Created: 5/18/2010 10:58:32 PM Link Removed Updated: 5/18/2010 11:08:10 PM

Atlanta-- (CBS/WGCL/AP)-- Several media outlets including CBS are reporting that police arrested Delta Air Lines pilot Matthew Lamar McDaniel Saturday when screeners allegedly found a loaded handgun in his carry-on luggage.
According to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, McDaniel was stopped when he tried to pass through security at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
Delta spokeswoman Susan Elliot says the three-year veteran pilot was off duty at the time and she did not know why he was at the airport.
Police say McDaniel had a Taurus .38 special loaded with five rounds as he tried to pass through the T north security checkpoint.
Investigators say, McDaniel , who has a permit to carry a concealed handgun, told them he forgot he had the weapon.
The pilot was released on a $5,700 bond from the Clayton County Jail within hours after he was booked, according to CBS affiliate WGCL.
CBS/WGLC

Link Removed Matthew McDaniel, Delta Pilot, Courtesy: CBS

We had a coach for the Dallas Cowboys that "forgot" he had a gun in his luggage and got caught with it at the airport.

Funny how that happens, isn't it. Sort of like your shoes... oh, gee, I forgot I didn't have my shoes on. I wondered why my feet hurt when I was walking on that gravel in the parking lot... or... I wondered why my legs felt cold, I 'forgot' to put my pants on.

Maybe they need to take a 'memory' class on how to remember things.

A while back one of those so called 'pros' that gets paid millions of dollars 'forgot' what a gun does and shot himself in the leg.

I guess it takes a LOT of different kinds of people to make the world interesting. LOL

Ken

061210 0854

Yes wasn't that pro the one that was "The only one in here, as far as I know professional enough to handle this gun".

I actually do forget I'm packing from ttt.

I have three very comfortable holsters that cause me to forget I'm carrying. I sometimes find myself reaching for my gun because it actually feels like it is NOT there.

Even as I type I cannot feel my 45 that is on my hip. When I read the post, I actually reached down to feel it was there. So I can totally see how someone can "forget" he is carrying a firearm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back