Pharmacies

Gatherer

Is it legal to carry a firearm in a pharmacy that also has a "minute clinic"?

Suggest you check your state laws. In NC you can unless there is a gun buster sign at the entrance to the store.

sometimes people can over think things.

the OP needs to learn all of the SC laws pertaining to the concealed carry of firearms so he won't need to guess about minutia like this

A good question. Section 23-31-215 says, in part:

M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:

10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.

Does a "minute clinic" count and does the clinic extend into the entire pharmacy? Now, what if the clinic isn't open but the pharmacy is?

A good question. Section 23-31-215 says, in part:

Does a "minute clinic" count and does the clinic extend into the entire pharmacy? Now, what if the clinic isn't open but the pharmacy is?

if your version of the law there is correct, then this appears to be a case of the law not keeping up with changing times. this needs to be addressed by the legislature.

Here's an even better question. Why do morons with no knowledge of South Carolina's ignorant and restrictive firearms laws find the need to comment in the South Carolina forum... [rolls eyes]

To answer your question, the answer is "probably not - maybe". But don't stop asking questions there. If your local mall is hosting a blood drive, or even hosting a blood pressure screening, is it legal to carry there? If you're at your local indoor shooting range and someone has a heart attack, when the paramedics show up they will certainly be performing "medical services or procedures", so are you now breaking the law?

This is my suggestion to you. Simply ignore all unconstitutional laws unless the possibility of getting caught is too high. I personally prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery, anyday...

This is my suggestion to you. Simply ignore all unconstitutional laws unless the possibility of getting caught is too high. I personally prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery, anyday...

this advice is about as wrong as advice can be!
regardless of a law being legal or constitutional it still is the law. if you believe that a law is unjust, illegal, unconstitutional or unfair the way to deal with it to go through the processes to alter or repeal the offending law via legislative or judicial actions. willful disobeyance of the law, especially highly charged firearm laws, will only earn the offender a ride to jail, a hefty legal bill and little to show for their defiance.

you may chose being a scofflaw as a protest, and that is your choice. offering that kind of advice to others is just flat out wrong. and that opinion is valid wherever it is you reside.
YMMV

this advice is about as wrong as advice can be!
regardless of a law being legal or constitutional it still is the law. if you believe that a law is unjust, illegal, unconstitutional or unfair the way to deal with it to go through the processes to alter or repeal the offending law via legislative or judicial actions. willful disobeyance of the law, especially highly charged firearm laws, will only earn the offender a ride to jail, a hefty legal bill and little to show for their defiance.

you may chose being a scofflaw as a protest, and that is your choice. offering that kind of advice to others is just flat out wrong. and that opinion is valid wherever it is you reside.
YMMV
STATIST! If our forefathers thought like you, we'd still be under British rule. You should be ashamed of yourself, doubly so on Independence Day.

STATIST! If our forefathers thought like you, we'd still be under British rule. You should be ashamed of yourself, doubly so on Independence Day.

enjoy yourself as you sit in jail awaiting trial.
intelligent adults will work within the framework of the government we have and work to change the unjust/illegal laws.
as for your view of what led to the revolt in the colonies against the crown in britain, what you learned back in grade school really didn't inform you very well

What frame work? The system is corrupt as hell! There is no longer a venue to work things out.
The system is broke and it cannot be fixed without the introduction of a full scale revolution.... Just sayin.... Ya know?

Sent from behind enemy lines.

What frame work? The system is corrupt as hell! There is no longer a venue to work things out.
The system is broke and it cannot be fixed without the introduction of a full scale revolution.... Just sayin.... Ya know?
that could be true, just remember that revolutionaries get shot and the pioneers took a lot of arrows, YMMV

enjoy yourself as you sit in jail awaiting trial.
intelligent adults will work within the framework of the government we have and work to change the unjust/illegal laws.
as for your view of what led to the revolt in the colonies against the crown in britain, what you learned back in grade school really didn't inform you very well
Enjoy wringing your hands and wetting your bed inside your scary little box. Intelligent adults understand that it is their moral duty to ignore unjust/illegal/unconstitutional laws. I guess that's why you're more concerned with doing what your government masters dictate instead of doing the right thing.

Sent from behind enemy lines.
Yes, I know. Thanks for being one of us who gets it...

Another aspect to my question is, a store such as CVC has their prescription and pharmacy in the back of the store.It is sectioned off with a wire cage when closed. It is,I would presume separate from the rest of the store. I have often wondered if I carry in the rest of the store would it be legal, open or closed. (pharmacy) Does crossing that cage line make it illegal or does just walking through the front door too? As stated on another post,Theses things should be clarified in the code. Too many 'gray areas'. Thanks for your responses.

I'll jump in on your question....My opinion is that each Minute Clinic has a separate office and door they close when treating patients. I would say unless you are entering to be treated by the Minute Clinic you would be safe...You can always send a letter to the SC AG and get his ruling.......

I'll jump in on your question....My opinion is that each Minute Clinic has a separate office and door they close when treating patients. I would say unless you are entering to be treated by the Minute Clinic you would be safe...You can always send a letter to the SC AG and get his ruling.......

I don't believe this is any different than going to the mall, and entering into the Food Court area.

Many of the storefronts there have alcohol licenses, yet I was told by numerous people (Sheriff, CWP trainer, Lawyer) that as long as I didn't WALK UP TO the storefront that was serving alcohol, I was not in violation of any CC carry/alcohol laws by simply being in the Food Court.

Why would a pharmacy front in CVS be any different? A "minute clinic" in a regular pharmacy separated by a cage or door?

At least that would be my argument, and rationale.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back