Persons who get paid their Social Security benefits or SSI through a third person....

NavyLCDR

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...f-the-nics-improvement-amendments-act-of-2007

Social Security will soon report persons to the FBI as prohibited persons.

Under the proposed rule, we would identify, on a prospective basis, individuals who receive Disability Insurance benefits under title II of the Social Security Act (Act) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments under title XVI of the Act and also meet certain other criteria, including an award of benefits based on a finding that the individual's mental impairment meets or medically equals the requirements of section 12.00 of the Listing of Impairments (Listings) and receipt of benefits through a representative payee.

It flies in the face of 2A fundamentalists, but I'm not too uncomfortable with the idea that someone who is mentally ill could be prevented from buying a gun.
Maybe posit it as: "You give up your second amendment right when you declare mental illness and get a monthly "paycheck" from the government for doing so".

Howdy,

Gee, do you really want someone that has been adjudicated as being either mentally ill or mentally incompetent to own a firearm?

Paul

Howdy,

Gee, do you really want someone that has been adjudicated as being either mentally ill or mentally incompetent to own a firearm?

Paul

Someone who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or was involuntary committed to a mental institution is already prohibited from possessing a firearm by federal law. This new rule is expanding the scope. Read Disability Evaluation Under Social Security - 12.00 Mental Disorders - Adult to understand what this means. Hint, PTS is an anxiety-related disorder under 12.06 that many veterans have to deal with.

Howdy bofh,

I know 100's of Vets with PTSD/PTD that have a disability rating from the VA, including myself, that own firearms and have CCW permits.

I also know a couple that have had their firearm rights removed because their condition is so severe that they cannot function in society. This Vets also have other issues, like being Schizophrenic, that aggravates their condition.

Trust me when I say that you do NOT want any one of these guys owning or have access to a firearm because they are a damaged to themselves and everyone around them.

Paul

I am against blanket lifetime prohibitions of firearms possession for felons and involuntary commitment to mental institutions because it removes the rights of those people who do get rehabilitated or successfully treated. On a similar note I know a highly successful 19 year old young man who travels all over the US leading teams of finish carpenters who was denied a high school diploma because he was expelled from school when he forgot a pellet pistol in his backpack from shooting on the weekend and he ended up on school property with it.

Howdy bofh,

I know 100's of Vets with PTSD/PTD that have a disability rating from the VA, including myself, that own firearms and have CCW permits.

I also know a couple that have had their firearm rights removed because their condition is so severe that they cannot function in society. This Vets also have other issues, like being Schizophrenic, that aggravates their condition.

Trust me when I say that you do NOT want any one of these guys owning or have access to a firearm because they are a damaged to themselves and everyone around them.

Paul

Again, the new rule is about an EXTENSION of what is being done today. Once you lose that right, it is pretty much impossible to get it back. How would you feel when those 100s of vets you apparently know suddenly lose their 2nd Amendment right permanently?

There are existing mechanisms for those that are a danger to themselves or others, including for those that have severe mental illnesses.

The blatant illegality of SSA/SSD prohibiting people from ownership/possession of guns is explained in irrefutable detail in this video:

The .pdf referenced several times in that video can be found here.

SSI proposed rule can be found here.

This proposed rule has nothing whatsoever to do with identifying mental defectives who have slipped through the cracks of the NICS system. This is about SSI assuming for itself, in obvious and proven contravention of the law in the video above, authority to autonomously create mental defectives outside the definitions as-described in Title XVIII US Code Section 101(c)(A)(C), which itself specifically disqualifies any government agency from "adjudicating" someone a mental defective strictly on the basis of a disability.

RURdy4It (video-maker) exhorts all those who might be affected by the new rule proposal, or even all those who give a small crap about what's happening in this country, to write in opposition to the Social Security Administration's planned implementation of this proposed rule before it gets inserted in SSA regs. She gives more advice towards the end of the video on how to do that, but also gives detailed advice in other videos on Link Removed on the same subject.

Blues

Howdy,

I am against blanket lifetime prohibitions of firearms possession for felons and involuntary commitment to mental institutions because it removes the rights of those people who do get rehabilitated or successfully treated. On a similar note I know a highly successful 19 year old young man who travels all over the US leading teams of finish carpenters who was denied a high school diploma because he was expelled from school when he forgot a pellet pistol in his backpack from shooting on the weekend and he ended up on school property with it.

From a person that's been there, done that, it really sucks but it wasn't in High School, it was at work. I opened up my backpack and was like WTF?!?!

I too am not a fan of permanent bans of firearm rights. There should be some way to get your firearm right restored for one-time offenders, especially youthful offenders.

I know a man that when he was 19yo was getting gas at a C-store who's passengers broke into a building behind the store without his knowledge while he was pumping gas and ended up with a felony conviction. Over 30 years later he owns a painting business that employees a dozen people and pockets over $100k a year and hasn't even had a speeding ticket in over 25 years but still cannot own a firearm.

Paul

The sad thing about this is as Blues pointed out, once on, darn hard to get off the list. Due to the increase in firearms sales, all agents were pulled off of doing appeals when someone gets a denied on a 4473. So even if you are removed by the agency after you have been restored your rights, you still may not be able to get the NICS check corrected. And it seems like it was done that way on purpose. FBI official: 'Perfect storm' imperiling gun background checks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back